Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

No, they aren't scum suckers.

They swim around, they eat algae and corn...and if they are in tanks with bass and the bass are fed corn, they eat the corn out of the bass crap.

They aren't as gross as catfish...who will eat ANYTHING and I do mean anything.

I don't do catfish.

They swim around, they eat algae and corn...and if they are in tanks with bass and the bass are fed corn, they eat the corn out of the bass crap.

I don't do catfish.

Ah, okay, I looked at some pictures of them and they aren't the same thing I was thinking about.

Tilapia

tilapia.jpg

Organic food stores that cater to looney liberals have the most expensive food.....you people are against poor people.

See how that works?

Put organic on a label then charge $1-$3 more per item.

I don't do catfish.

Carp will eat pretty much anything as well. I knew a guy who always ate Carp and claimed they were great tasting. I could just never compel myself to try it. And, I've never tried nor do I plan on trying catfish...either.

So in other words they eat the bass poop?

I don't know about that. I used to keep fish tanks and cichlids were my species of choice. Not the same species that tilapia is from, but cichlids are mostly herbivores. I've never seen one take in a piece of fish crap and not spit it out.

So are they just those little things they call scumsuckers, which attach themselves to the side of the fish tank and proceed to vacuum off the crud?

No that's a plecostamus.

I don't do catfish.

Ah, okay, I looked at some pictures of them and they aren't the same thing I was thinking about.

Tilapia

tilapia.jpg

You're probably thinking suckers or squaw fish:

squawfish03.gif

also nasty but I've eaten them as well. The locals where I used to live wouldn't touch them and there's a bounty on them...but black and Mexican families have fish fries and cook up huge batches of them. They pull them out of the water bam bam bam ..and I've had them when they were serving them up. And they were good.

But I wouldn't eat a steady diet of them. They're trash fish...in that, they eat trash.

eat Chickpeas then ... FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squawfish/pikeminnow:

I've seen one this big. My ex hunted it with a gaff for two hours in our swimming hole...he thought it was a big trapped salmon but when he finally pulled it in..it was one of these yuckies:

images

Organic food stores that cater to looney liberals have the most expensive food.....you people are against poor people.

See how that works?

Great, I was just thinking to myself, "there aren't enough retards in this thread for the last couple of pages". :thup:

Only a dumbfuck like you would claim organic food is cheaper than normal food.

See how that works?

Great, I was just thinking to myself, "there aren't enough retards in this thread for the last couple of pages". :thup:

"
Once upon a time, tilapia was breed in a way where most of the fish would be male (which allows the fish to grow larger to a marketable size). However, they soon discovered a nifty little trick. If they put testosterone in their feed for the first few months, they would all turn male. Now, I haven’t read of any adverse health effects from people eating testosterone feed fish. But I find the practice a little disturbing and unnatural. Not all fisheries use this practice, but it is very common. Secondly, some fish farms use growth hormones. We avoid growth hormones carefully in our meat, so why would we consume fish that contains it?
Their Food
While some fisheries may still use their natural food ( like duckweed), many, if not most fisheries feed them corn. Tilapia are easy to grow because, like pigs, they will eat anything, including “poop”. So it’s quite easy to grow them on corn. First, the corn is probably genetically modified. That has it’s own problems. Secondly, this high in corn diet leads to fish that’s high in Omega 6′s.
Wait, a minute! High in Omega 6 Fatty Acids?
High in Omega 6 Fatty Acids
One of the biggest health benefits of eating fish is getting Omega 3′s. You aren’t going to find that in Tilapia. In fact, you may be doing harm instead of good by eating it!"

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/01/farmed-tilapia-good-for-the-environment-bad-for-you.html

I don't know if there's a motive behind that article, but I know tilapia isn't generally a wild caught fish...not anymore.

In the past few years, I have been having trepidations about the farm raised fish in general.

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

You had me until the burger at KFC No such animal Menu - KFC.com
Again if I wan pinching pennies I would be drinking tap water instead of bottled water too. Lots of excuses for not eating healthy foods, and cost is not high up on the list

Poor people can eat chick peas and lentils they are delicious... and tomato and mince chicken loaf and so many other good food...

but they dont have the time to cook it ...or may be they have the time but they are too tired...who knows

Only a dumbfuck like you would claim organic food is cheaper than normal food.

See how that works?

:lmao:

I didn't, maybe you should try reading it again.

You too skye. :thup:

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

There are a few specials out about this. The federal government subsidizes wheat and corn farmers--for high fat--high calorie--and high carbohydrate food--to feed the mass's. Vegetable and fruit farmers are out of this loop--they get nothing.

And this is one of the main reasons Americans are getting fatter and fatter--and the poor find it much cheaper to eat junk food than healthy food.

Forum List

Back