Why can't gays accept civil unions and just be done with it?

Aren’t couples in Civil Unions hit with gigantic estate taxes when the other dies (as opposed to 0% if you're married)? They aren’t equal, so unless you’re out there in Washington trying to amend “some aspects” you should probably just quit worrying about the whole thing and get on with your own business.

You don’t have to like gay marriage, you don’t have to support it, you don’t have to teach your kids that it’s an OK option – that’s your prerogative. But when it comes to the lives of other people, why do you have to stick your nose in their business?

Gays are grasping little things, too. The bottom line is that they are after government benefits designed to protect women and children,

No, they are after equality. If two gay adults commit their entire life together (like a man/woman), and one dies, is asking for the same tax rules as the straight couple "after government benefits designed to protect women and children"?

If two gay adults commit their entire lives together, it's nobody's business but theirs. Why should the government lose revenue sanctioning it?

Marriage is and always has been an institution for the protection of women and children.

Why are you pretending otherwise?

Gays aren't happy unless they are flouting their perversions and pressing to have them accepted as the norm. They are a snippy, agressive lot more self-righteous than fundametalist preachers.

Where did you park your time machine? I'm sure you're sorely missed in the 1930's.

As I am equally sure you belong on the set of The Hunger Games. Decadence isn't progress.

We can sit here all day defining what we consider "progress", but RDD is right; your view on gays is more similar to views held in the 1930's vs 2013.

I mean, they were pretty progressive back then, right? Just try not to pay attention to the black and white drinking fountains.

Gays aren't happy unless they are flouting their perversions and pressing to have them accepted as the norm. They are a snippy, agressive lot more self-righteous than fundametalist preachers.

Gays just want the law to recognize their unions in the same way the law recognizes straight unions.

They are not trying to become the "norm", and they are not trying to force you out of your own personal heterosexual relationship.

Why do you care so much about what gay people do in the privacy of their own home?

Not all gays for sure, but the activist gays wouldn't be satisfied with civil unions even if they had the EXACT same rights as marriages. The reason of course isn't about gay rights, but about rubbing it in the faces of the evangelicals. Childish really.

Strawman.

Federal law discriminates against gays in literally a thousand ways. Gay marriages can't file a married tax return. A gay woman is right now before the Supreme Court because she is having to pay estate taxes on an inheritance left to her by her wife that a heterosexual survivor would not have to pay. Surviving gay spouses cannot collect Social Security survivor benefits even though they pay into SS. Gay spouses of federal employees are not eligible for medical insurance benefits of their spouse.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

Making this about the word "marriage" and inventing strawmen is what is childish. It is a massive smokescreen to conceal the real issues at stake. It is a red herring to distract from the fact that gays are being taxed extra just for being gay.

Last edited:
I'm tired of all this civil union's ain't good enough and semantical bullshit, they can amend some aspects of civil unions to give equal legl rights to gays but leave marriage alone.

Well, the DOMA kind of prevents that. I agree that the answer to the problem is to let straights keep the "marriage" name and give "Civil Unions" every right and privilege legally, that married couples have.

So separate but equal is your answer? I somehow doubt that such a decision will be forthcoming from the SC, but given some of its current members it would not suprise me. Would the right next go after interacial or interfaith marriage? Would you support making the bond between a Christian Bride and her Athiest Husband a Civil Union?

Yes, separate but equal. That's fair. Gay's are separate, that is what they want, but they also want to be equal, and I believe they should be.

Gays are grasping little things, too. The bottom line is that they are after government benefits designed to protect women and children,

No, they are after equality. If two gay adults commit their entire life together (like a man/woman), and one dies, is asking for the same tax rules as the straight couple "after government benefits designed to protect women and children"?

If two gay adults commit their entire lives together, it's nobody's business but theirs. Why should the government lose revenue sanctioning it?

Marriage is and always has been an institution for the protection of women and children.

Why are you pretending otherwise?

Because it is not true.

Why not just eliminate marriage from the law entirely and call them all civil unions.

Of course gay marriage won't affect heterosexual marriages.

Who would even think such a thing?

I take that as a no to my suggestion then. So my next question would be.... if it wouldn't be good enough for you why should it be good enough for them?

Why should a same-sex union be recognized by the government at all? It does nothing for the common good, lessens government revenue and changes the law to accomodate a select few.

No children will come of such a union. It amounts to a government financial benefit for a special interest group.

Gays just want the law to recognize their unions in the same way the law recognizes straight unions.

They are not trying to become the "norm", and they are not trying to force you out of your own personal heterosexual relationship.

Why do you care so much about what gay people do in the privacy of their own home?

Not all gays for sure, but the activist gays wouldn't be satisfied with civil unions even if they had the EXACT same rights as marriages. The reason of course isn't about gay rights, but about rubbing it in the faces of the evangelicals. Childish really.

Strawman.

Federal law discriminates against gays in literally a thousand ways. Gay marriages can't file a married tax return. A gay woman is right now before the Supreme Court because she is haveing to pay estate taxes on an inheritance left to her by her wife that a heterosexual survivor would not have to pay. Surviving gay spouses cannot collect Social Security survivor benefits even though they pay into SS. Gay spouses of federal employees are not eligible for medical insurance benefits of their spouse.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

Making this about the word "marriage" and inventing strawmen is what is childish. It is a massive smokescreen to conceal the real issues at stake. It is a red herring to distract from the fact that gays are being taxed extra just for being gay.

I'm pretty sure that I've stated over and over that I'd like to see Civil Unions and Marriage be exactly equal in every legal respect. Have you not been paying attention? As for the strawman, I thought it would also be clear that that is my opinion.

Well, the DOMA kind of prevents that. I agree that the answer to the problem is to let straights keep the "marriage" name and give "Civil Unions" every right and privilege legally, that married couples have.

So separate but equal is your answer? I somehow doubt that such a decision will be forthcoming from the SC, but given some of its current members it would not suprise me. Would the right next go after interacial or interfaith marriage? Would you support making the bond between a Christian Bride and her Athiest Husband a Civil Union?

Yes, separate but equal. That's fair. Gay's are separate, that is what they want, but they also want to be equal, and I believe they should be.

Well, at least you have reached the year 1896. I guess that's progress.

"Gay's are separate, that is what they want". Wooooooooooo! That's a winner!

Last edited:
The reason of course isn't about gay rights, but about rubbing it in the faces of the evangelicals. Childish really.

Pred- You're very wrong on this account, I'm afraid. When it comes to the gay people I know (including my sister-in-law), it's not about 'childish' revenge (I mean, come on man). The only time they care about the evangelicals is when they're dumping millions of dollars into preventing them from getting married. Besides that, they really want nothing to do with them.

Her partner goes to work, and she stays home and takes care of the daughter. They go on vacations, celebrate Christmas, and intend to grow old together just like anyone else. So if (God forbid) one of them passes away, why is it such a big deal if they get the same waive on estate tax? What's the big deal if they file joint taxes? And I know you're for equality between civil unions/marriages so we might have much to talk about here.

But finally, what's the big deal if we call that a marriage? Marriage is spending the rest of your life with the person you love; the church should not be able to hold the monopoly on that word. Calling it a "civil union" just seems second rate - administrative even. If people want to call it a marriage, what the heck is the harm? Don't they deserve to have a say on what that word means too?

Last edited:
Why can't negroes who want to marry white women accept civil unions and just be done with it? Marriage is reserved for two people of the same race! :evil:

Conflating gay whining with the Civil Rights Movement is like conflating a fart with a thunderstorm.

The reason of course isn't about gay rights, but about rubbing it in the faces of the evangelicals. Childish really.

Pred- You're very wrong on this account, I'm afraid. When it comes to the gay people I know (including my sister-in-law), it's not about 'childish' revenge (I mean, come on man). The only time they care about the evangelicals is when they're dumping millions of dollars into preventing them from getting married. Besides that, they really want nothing to do with them.

Her partner goes to work, and she stays home and takes care of the daughter. They go on vacations, celebrate Christmas, and intend to grow old together just like anyone else. So if (God forbid) one of them passes away, why is it such a big deal if they get the same waive on estate tax? What's the big deal if they file joint taxes?

What's the big deal if we call that a marriage?

I disagree as in my personal life I know two gay couples, one male, one female. Both couples delight in walking while holding hands on Sunday mornings and every week they talk about kissing outside one christian church in town or another.

That is "rubbing it in the face of the christians", and for no other reason than to do so.

All I know is that if some people were saying I was going to burn in the fires of hell forever for liking lobster, I would have a pretty bad attitude toward that kind of religious people.

If those religious people then said I was an asshole for not liking them, and that I was being childish about it, I think that would make me dislike them even more.

If those people then said I wanted more than to be accepted for liking lobster, and that I really was all about bashing religion, I would have to say those people are downright retarded and brought enmity down on themselves.

Last edited:

Her partner goes to work, and she stays home and takes care of the daughter. They go on vacations, celebrate Christmas, and intend to grow old together just like anyone else. So if (God forbid) one of them passes away, why is it such a big deal if they get the same waive on estate tax? What's the big deal if they file joint taxes?

I disagree as in my personal life I know two gay couples, one male, one female. Both couples delight in walking while holding hands on Sunday mornings and every week they talk about kissing outside one christian church in town or another.

That is "rubbing it in the face of the christians", and for no other reason than to do so.

That is no different than wearing a flag pin to tell the terrorists they have not won. Gay people kissing in front of a church is their way of telling the haters they have not won.

It's about freedom.

Sure, there's going to be examples of both. But at the same token, the Christians do a pretty f***ing good job at marginalizing gay people, including making homosexual teenagers feel like there's something horribly wrong with them. Have you ever checked out the suicide rates of gay teens? How many derogatory terms do you know for gay people (vs how many do you know for Christians)?

Anyways, that's beside the point...

The way I see it, I'll still be able to be married to my wife, raise my kids based on MY OWN values, send them to a school of my choosing, ect if gay people are allowed to marry. So who the heck am I to stop them?

Why do you care so much, and what do you gain from preventing gay marriage?

Last edited:
Where did you park your time machine? I'm sure you're sorely missed in the 1930's.

As I am equally sure you belong on the set of The Hunger Games. Decadence isn't progress.

We can sit here all day defining what we consider "progress", but RDD is right; your view on gays is more similar to views held in the 1930's vs 2013.

I mean, they were pretty progressive back then, right? Just try not to pay attention to the black and white drinking fountains.

RDD is an idiot much like you, evidently. There is no sound reason the federal government should sanction same-sex marriages. The federal government had nothing to say about marriage for over 200 years, and now gays suddenly discover a constitutional right for them to marry.

That tired saw comparing gays to blacks just doesn't cut it. It demans black people and their struggles. Next they'll be prancing about singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

Last edited:

That is no different than wearing a flag pin to tell the terrorists they have not won. Gay people kissing in front of a church is their way of telling the haters they have not won.

It's about freedom.

Think what you wish but the rest of the week the two couples I know brag about how many "christians" they pissed off.
It has actually become 'normal' to the small town and they are the butt of a lot of jokes about it.
The way I see it is that nobody is stopping them from doing as they wish, as far as I know nobody has picketed thier homes or anything else
Thier tormenting the christians when church lets out is harrassment in my opinion. It isn't about freedom, its how they entertain themselves. If it was really about freedom they would not infringe on the freedom of others now would they?

RDD is an idiot much like you, evidently. There is no sound reason the federal government should sanction same-sex marriages. The federal government had nothing to say about marriage for over 200 years, and now gays suddenly discover a constitutional right for them to marry.

That tired saw comparing gays to blacks just doesn't cut it. It demans black people and their struggles. Next they'll be prancing about singing Swing Low. Sweet Chariot.

The federal government injected itself into the institution of marriage. It's funny how conservatives don't mind the government taking over marriage and instituting collectivism and social behavior modification when it suits them.

Married people did not get tax breaks from the federal government for 170 years after the Constitution was ratified. It was not until the 1950s when the government began taking over marriage.

WTF is government suddenly doing in our marriages? WTF is the government doing with DOMA, defining what marriage is? THAT IS A GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER OF MARRIAGE!!!

It now hands out a thousand prizes and cash to married people, unless they are gay.

Gay people are taxed extra, just for being gay. That is a simple fact. Could you imagine the outrage if blacks were taxed extra just for being black?

Last edited:

Sure, there's going to be examples of both. But at the same token, the Christians do a pretty f***ing good job at marginalizing gay people, including making homosexual teenagers feel like there's something horribly wrong with them. Have you ever checked out the suicide rates of gay teens? How many derogatory terms do you know for gay people (vs how many do you know for Christians)?

Anyways, that's beside the point...

The way I see it, I'll still be able to be married to my wife, raise my kids based on MY OWN values, send them to a school of my choosing, ect if gay people are allowed to marry. So who the heck am I to stop them?

Why do you care so much, and what do you gain from preventing gay marriage?

you are projecting. Show me where I said I was against gay marriage.....

I am against bad behavior by anyone regardless of sexual orientation.

Allowing gays to marry is just codifying what has been going on with about 12% of the population since time began......

Forum List

Back