Why Assad Must Go – Analysis

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Now remember that this is just someone's analysis, so nobody here has to go ballistics over it. You all are free to make your own analysis.

Assad.jpg
Syria's Bashar Al-Assad. Photo by Fabio Rodrigues Pozzebom / ABr, Wikimedia Commons.

BY PUBLISHED BY THE FOREIGN POLICY RESEARCH INSTITUTE NOVEMBER 20, 2015

By Samuel Helfont*

The recent attacks in Paris have underscored the need to defeat the Islamic State and reignited debates over how to do so. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and once again we are hearing that “we may have to hold our noses”[1] and work with people like the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad. This is not a new suggestion. Since shortly after American forces began bombing the Islamic State in August 2014, there have been voices suggesting that “the U.S. should help Assad to fight ISIS, the greater evil.”[2] This argument was not strategically sound then, and the events in Paris have not made it so. Western leaders need to avoid appeasing populist demands with strategic blunders.

Proponents of supporting Assad see him as a viable partner in defeating the Islamic State. A hardnosed realist may acknowledge that Assad is unpleasant, but may still be inclined to put aside such messy moral qualms to defeat the Islamic State, which represents a critical security interest. The advantage of this approach seems obvious at first. It combines a credible fighting force on the ground with American air power. This combination has been a winning approach in the past and is generally what Western strategists prefer. The problem with this plan is not its value-free analysis, but rather that it ignores what FPRI’s James Kurth describes as the “realities of the mentalities of the localities.”

Continue reading at:

Just like Mubarak and Gaddafi. Look how swell it all turned out. Yemen is in their too.

Strange things happen when you give governments to Sunnis.

:lmao:

Lie, its been in the plans for years, for the gulf states and Israel. Not a thing to do with humanitarian reasons, but due to oil and natural gas. I suspect the writer of the OP article is very unknowledgeable or flat out lying. Of course the Sunnis, SA and gulf states want all Sunni areas, and Israel wants more land.

ISIS-Sally wants him gone - of course.
Is there a thread of ISIS-Sally titled "Why terrorists must go"? No, there isn´t. Luckily, the Syrians and all other peoples have no longer to fear the puppet masters of ISIS-Sally bolstering ISIS and al-Qaeda. Bashar and Vlad take care that ISIS and Al-Qaeda will be destroyed.

Watch, how many arms depots ect they have to bomb. The whole areas are full of this, it looks like the West attempted to call in the Armageddon.

Lie, its been in the plans for years, for the gulf states and Israel. Not a thing to do with humanitarian reasons, but due to oil and natural gas. I suspect the writer of the OP article is very unknowledgeable or flat out lying. Of course the Sunnis, SA and gulf states want all Sunni areas, and Israel wants more land.

So tell us, Ms. Skinheaad, why was their an Arab uprising in many parts of the Middle East? I guess you feel these Arabs who took part in the uprisings just loved their leaders and were just playing around with the uprisings. By the way, Ms. Skinhead, the writer of that article is no doubt more educated than illiterate you who gets most of her information from hate sites. Naturally Ms. Skinhead had to drag in Israel as she usually does. I wonder how much the local Bund gives her for each time she drags in Israel. I guess it is a little pocket money to supplement her Social Security.

It's this guy's opinion. He's not Syrian. So....

Any enemy of the US's "must go", isn't that just what people say?

So anyone who is not Syrian should not have an opinion? Tell you what. Since obviously you are not Middle Eastern, how about you stop giving us your opinion on this forun. .

So anyone who is not Syrian should not have an opinion? Tell you what. Since obviously you are not Middle Eastern, how about you stop giving us your opinion on this forun. .

No, I didn't say that at all.

What I said was the guy isn't Syrian. Assad is in charge of (parts of) Syria and mostly countries like to choose their own leaders.

What would the US say to Syria saying it would prefer it if Robert Mugabe were in power in the US? You'd say, well, Assad isn't American so he doesn't get to decide.
He can have his opinion, fine, but deciding he shouldn't be able to do.

What I said was the guy isn't Syrian. Assad is in charge of (parts of) Syria and mostly countries like to choose their own leaders.

What would the US say to Syria saying it would prefer it if Robert Mugabe were in power in the US? You'd say, well, Assad isn't American so he doesn't get to decide.

For one thing, we really don't know what goes on with regard to voting in the Middle East. Don't forget that Syria is mainly Sunni. Many of these people writing articles have studied these matters much more than you or I; and regardless of what you and others think about their opinions,l they have a right to express them without people going so ballistics about what was written.

Assad has to go because he's allied with Iran, Hezbollah, and the PLO vermin that trashed Lebanon and destroys everything it can. That axis has to be crushed in order for there to be a relative peace in the ME. There are other reasons but in the present these are the main ones. Baathist states need to be eradicated; they are just Nazis under another name.

Last edited:
Sunnis versus Shi'a is a distinction without a difference as far as those who are not Muslim are concerned.

Another Vacuum Cleaner Salesman thread..................let's create more vacuum cleaners....................

:cuckoo:

For one thing, we really don't know what goes on with regard to voting in the Middle East. Don't forget that Syria is mainly Sunni. Many of these people writing articles have studied these matters much more than you or I; and regardless of what you and others think about their opinions,l they have a right to express them without people going so ballistics about what was written.

You said in your OP that you wanted people to no go ballistic. I haven't gone ballistic. What I've said is that people can have opinions, however it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter.

What they write may be informative, it may present a picture, probably a picture from the US interests side of thing, which is important as a source, but at the same time you have to know what you're actually reading.

The question here is "Must Assad go?" Must in itself implies there really isn't any other choice. But for an American, there shouldn't be such language, as they shouldn't play a part in the choice in the first place.

It's clearly about US interests and NOT about Syrian interests.

Sunnis versus Shi'a is a distinction without a difference as far as those who are not Muslim are concerned.

Or for those who don't understand things. What's the difference between Catholic and Protestant? A non-Christian can understand such things too. It's about understanding, not about whether you're in the religion or not.

Most people don't bother with the differences, as really, one form of Islam to another is neither here nor their for their baseless opinions.

Assad has to go because he's allied with Iran, Hezbollah, and the PLO vermin that trashed Lebanon and destroys everything it can. That axis has to be crushed in order for there to be a relative peace in the ME. There are other reasons but in the present these are the main ones. Baathist states need to be eradicated; they are just Nazis under another name.

Then again his father allied with the US in 1991. He's against ISIS.

Because the Zionist Jew, is bias. So is opinion is worthless.

Or for those who don't understand things.

Gibberish. Both have the exact same political ideology, hence we don't need to pick a 'side' re sectarianism.

What's the difference between Catholic and Protestant?

Several things, not that you know what those are.

A non-Christian can understand such things too. It's about understanding, not about whether you're in the religion or not

Non-issues. Filler.

Most people don't bother with the differences, as really, one form of Islam to another is neither here nor their for their baseless opinions.

Most people don't bother because the distinctions re Sunni versus Shi'a are distinctions without a difference for most people. It's only of interest to pseudo-intellectuals making attempts at playing semantic games.

Sunnis are the rebels, the only reason Hamas(sunni) and Hezbollah(Shia) are rebels are because they don't want to give their land to the Jews. SA and the Gulf States support terrorists, and we are their allies.
We get down on Iran only because they are not sucking up to Israel, and SA wants to be the king of the arab states.

Forum List

Back