Why aren't theists considered mentally ill?

The vast majority of humans believe in some sort of god. Belief is clearly a natural state for us, so it is absurd to suggest normal mental activity is an illness.

However, what about someone who is fixated on what they claim does not exist? Perhaps a little couch time is called for.

Specificly, suffering from delusional disorder? Reading up on it for another thread, the description sounded awfully familar. :)

"Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue. People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner. This is unlike people with other psychotic disorders, who also might have delusions as a symptom of their disorder. In some cases, however, people with delusional disorder might become so preoccupied with their delusions that their lives are disrupted."

Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

Kathleen Taylor, who describes herself as a "science writer affiliated to the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics," made the suggestion during a presentation on brain research at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday.

Read more at
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Succession is crucial where the continuity of religious practices are concerned, so the "longstanding ones" in particular are commonly held as sacrosanct by the practitioners.

If you don't believe me, try telling your friendly neighborhood rabbi that he's no longer legally allowed to circumcise infants.

So we should refrain from passing laws that protect the children of Christian Scientists when they refuse medical treatment, or allow FLDS Mormons to practice polygamy? Those are sacrosanct beliefs as well. Where do we draw the line?

Specificly, suffering from delusional disorder? Reading up on it for another thread, the description sounded awfully familar. :)

"Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue. People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner. This is unlike people with other psychotic disorders, who also might have delusions as a symptom of their disorder. In some cases, however, people with delusional disorder might become so preoccupied with their delusions that their lives are disrupted."

"People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated."

"...being followed..." God sees everything you do no matter where you are.

"...deceived..." Sounds like Satan, God's evil opposite.

"...conspired against..." Believing Satan is actively tempting you to make you go to hell.

"...loved from a distance..." God loves you.

"misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences." Visions = dreams. Voices in your head you think are God or demons are your own inner monologue or an acute mental illness. Miracles = random chance and coincidence.

The vast majority of humankind, now and since ever since, has religious belief. And you describe them has having a mental disorder.

I find the psychological study of superiority complexes and self-loathing to be far more interesting.

Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

Kathleen Taylor, who describes herself as a "science writer affiliated to the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics," made the suggestion during a presentation on brain research at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday.

Read more at

Link specify if by 'treated as amental illness' she meant as with medication, or just 'classified as...?' I'm ok with classified as, but not with medicated it. At least up to the point as AVG-Joe mentioned that it becomes a public safety sorta issue. If you're trying to execute people working on the Sabbath you might do well on some kind of antipsychotic say. :)

The vast majority of humankind, now and since ever since, has religious belief. And you describe them has having a mental disorder.

I find the psychological study of superiority complexes and self-loathing to be far more interesting.

Vast majority of human kind once maintained the world was flat too, and they were wrong. 'Accepted truths' can change with time and science. Everyone used to think epilepsy was possession by demons, they too were wrong. As science continues to evolve, and religion remains static and stagnant, the 'truths' of reliigon are being chipped away. Eventually science will be able to conclusively prove ALL reliigous truths are false. Then what will religious people do? Round up all the scientists and execute them? :)

Read more at

The Price of Fundamentalism

The Price of Fundamentalism Alicia Patterson Foundation

The vast majority of humans believe in some sort of god. Belief is clearly a natural state for us, so it is absurd to suggest normal mental activity is an illness.

However, what about someone who is fixated on what they claim does not exist? Perhaps a little couch time is called for.

Your argument's opening a can of worms re: what's 'normal?'

According to estimates, 20 million Americans suffer a mental illness called clinical depression. There's only 14 million Jews on the entire planet. So is being clinically depressed more 'normal' than being Jewish? Or is the fact that a lot of people suffer an abnormal neurological function simply a treatable condition?

Religious beliefs are indeed part of human nature. But specific beliefs are not as they come and go as religions do. We've been doing human burial longer than any other reliigous observance, long before we started wriitng religions down. But claiming 'this sends you to hell' or 'your beloved family member is in hell for doing this' is overly specific and not something that can be chalked up to 'normal behaviour.' That's more inline with a mental illness causing very specific, and unfounded beliefs.

Vast majority of human kind once maintained the world was flat too, and they were wrong. 'Accepted truths' can change with time and science. Everyone used to think epilepsy was possession by demons, they too were wrong. As science continues to evolve, and religion remains static and stagnant, the 'truths' of reliigon are being chipped away. Eventually science will be able to conclusively prove ALL reliigous truths are false. Then what will religious people do? Round up all the scientists and execute them? :)

You missed my point.

I'll repeat:

As an agnostic, I concur with much of what you said in your last post to me. But that is a far cry from condemning humankind with a mental disorder. Said another way, evolution does not prove that those that came before adaptation were flawed.

Why aren't plagiarists considered mentally ill?

See those little wiggly things in the beginning and end? Those are quotation marks. Means I'm quoting whatever's in the middle of them. Thus it's not plagiarism because I"m not pretending it's my definition. Didn't post the link (was WebMD) because as a definition you could get it anywhere.

How do I avoid plagiarism?

Signal. Clearly signal whenever you are using someone else's words, whether you are using them by direct quotation or paraphrase. Any direct quotation must be indicated by two things: "quotation marks" (or else "block quotation") plus a "reference" (also called a "citation") to the source. A reference alone is not sufficient to signal a direct quotation.

Source: http://integrity.ou.edu/files/nine_things_you_should_know.pdf

Read more at

Link specify if by 'treated as amental illness' she meant as with medication, or just 'classified as...?' I'm ok with classified as, but not with medicated it. At least up to the point as AVG-Joe mentioned that it becomes a public safety sorta issue. If you're trying to execute people working on the Sabbath you might do well on some kind of antipsychotic say. :)

Treatment and counseling, doesn't have to include psychotropic drugs although some might need it if rational family members deem it needed

If it's any consolation, you failed for good reason. It's a necessary question. :)

No, it's the sort of misrepresentation antisemites have used for a long time to malign Jews. And the sort of thing that said to some Jews will get you killed like trying to flush a Qur'an down a toilet to Muslims.

You missed my point.

I'll repeat:

As an agnostic, I concur with much of what you said in your last post to me. But that is a far cry from condemning humankind with a mental disorder. Said another way, evolution does not prove that those that came before adaptation were flawed.

Aren't we talking about the extreme manifestations? Fundementalism

Treatment and counseling, doesn't have to include psychotropic drugs although some might need it if rational family members deem it needed

In a perfect world where there aren't literally tens of millions of patients sure. In our world though, medication is usually the method of treatment because we don't have that many couches. :)

I'm talking about all specific religious beliefs, not general sorta ones common to them all but when poeple get overly specific. Like saying 'So and so is in hell' and things along those lines. Not 'gosh it'd sure be swell if we were nice to people for a change.' :)

You missed my point.

I'll repeat:

No, he asked why aren't theists considered mentally ill. A self-loathing statement if there ever was one...

How do I avoid plagiarism?

Signal. Clearly signal whenever you are using someone else's words, whether you are using them by direct quotation or paraphrase. Any direct quotation must be indicated by two things: "quotation marks" (or else "block quotation") plus a "reference" (also called a "citation") to the source. A reference alone is not sufficient to signal a direct quotation.

Source: http://integrity.ou.edu/files/nine_things_you_should_know.pdf

Academia standards and rules do not apply on a casual discussion website. But if wishing made it so...:)

Forum List

Back