WHY FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIANS FEAR INTELLECTUALISM

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Or anything to do with critical thinking

"Intellectualism invites the constant assessment of the “correctness” of a person's belief system. That's dangerous ground for a fundamentalist Christian. When you confront them on a particular belief you are not only confronting them on an idea that they have held to more rigidly for a longer time than most other folks but you are confronting the very core of who they understand themselves to be. For them, it is those core beliefs upon which their salvation hangs in the balance, at least in part. Questioning it doesn't just question the thought but, for them, it puts into question a lifetime of holding on tightly to that thought."

Why Fundamentalist Christians Fear Intellectualism - The God Article

Guno, it is not a matter of intellectualism. How can one know God by the intellect? God is a Spirit and those who worship Him worship Him in spirit and in truth! I know God after the Spirit and I passed belief long ago and entered into a sure faith - knowing God is... that is far deeper than I think I believe...... It means I have encountered God - I know Him, He knows me by name - we have a relationship - your analysis of why Christians believe in Jesus Christ is way off the mark. You'll have be become born again to understand it fully.

Or anything to do with critical thinking

"Intellectualism invites the constant assessment of the “correctness” of a person's belief system. That's dangerous ground for a fundamentalist Christian. When you confront them on a particular belief you are not only confronting them on an idea that they have held to more rigidly for a longer time than most other folks but you are confronting the very core of who they understand themselves to be. For them, it is those core beliefs upon which their salvation hangs in the balance, at least in part. Questioning it doesn't just question the thought but, for them, it puts into question a lifetime of holding on tightly to that thought."

Why Fundamentalist Christians Fear Intellectualism - The God Article

Funny.

If I fear intellectualism, why am I smarter and better informed than you?

Forum List

Back