Why are Tea Partiers opposed to having a safety net?

I am for voluntary safety nets... I fully support charity

But nobody owes you anything for your personal wants or needs.. you, as an adult, are responsible for your own upkeep, food, lodging, etc....

And how many soap box talking points are you going to try and string together in one mini-paragraph??

As many as it takes I guess.

So why has voluntary charity proven inadequate?

Before the days of forced charity through government confiscation, it worked beautifully.

You mean back when people could grow their own food and relied on horses to get around?

It is not inadequate.. you have more and more people thinking they are owed it and are too fucking lazy to work to meet their own wants or needs, whether that be 3 jobs, working 'beneath' where they think they should be, or whatever

You have many people willing to help others... you have many more who do not wish to have their freedom infringed upon and FORCED to help those who generally do not help themselves

Three jobs huh. I'm trying to think of what type of jobs a person could perform and have three of them.

You mean you've never had your silver spoon removed long enough to imagine anyone working 3 jobs.

For one thing, more people jumped on the charity bandwagon because they can't turn down freebies. I know two people right now who each have 3 free cell phones the government is giving away. They applied with different companies and, since the government doesn't take steps to prevent fraud with it's programs, they were approved and got the phones. One told me 250 minutes was too stingy, so he got three phones with three different numbers and a total of 750 minutes a month. I just love it when beggars get choosy and demanding.

The scammers overload the system. I think this is true with private charities as well.

Also, I think more people might be willing to donate if they weren't already taxed to the max for government programs. Even with taxes, studies show that Republicans give more to charity than Democrats. Perhaps private charities would suffice if the Dems would chip in and those who don't really need freebies would opt out.

I am all for a safety net because some people are simply unable to fend for themselves. I have big issues with the able bodied who think work is for suckers. Problem is that some started seeing the safety net and as a comfortable hammock and they don't want to get out.

I won't argue that handouts can't be abused. So can any form of power. Fraud, whether it's perpetrated by welfare recipients or Wall Street gamblers should be prosecuted harshly.

But I think you're dreaming when you say that if taxes were lower, there'd be more charity. Tax rates are as low as they've been in something like 80 years and I don't think charity is at its peak because of it. And the stat you quoted about republicans and charity is merely a reflection of tithing - not charity per se.

Total taxation of the earner classes are extremely high.. do not forget all the additional taxes people pay on everything from gas, to cell phone service, to property, to every purchase of most every good, etc...

And you best look up your history of tax rates, what could be deducted in the past, what was considered income, etc... How much is enough to tax someone?? What amount of total taxation would be too much? Should a person only be allowed to keep 50% of their earnings? 40%? 30%? How much is enough??

These assholes won't be happy until every American owes thier lives to the fucking Government.

It is not inadequate.. you have more and more people thinking they are owed it and are too fucking lazy to work to meet their own wants or needs, whether that be 3 jobs, working 'beneath' where they think they should be, or whatever

You have many people willing to help others... you have many more who do not wish to have their freedom infringed upon and FORCED to help those who generally do not help themselves

Three jobs huh. I'm trying to think of what type of jobs a person could perform and have three of them.

My grandfather drove a school bus, worked as a brakeman on the railroad, and worked part time as a mechanic to make ends meet...

If you have to work a McDonalds fry cook job, a janitorial job, and a pizza delivery job to meet what you consider to be your needs and to get your own wants to whatever level.. SO FUCKING BE IT... if you never do what it takes to advance, never go the extra mile, never advance your education or training, make poor decisions, are lazy, or whatever else, SO FUCKING BE IT.. your personal situation is your personal situation

Ever heard of the great depression? Many people lost everything they've ever worked for. The ones who didn't nearly starved. Where was all the voluntary charity back then?

They were everywhere...Americans hel[ped each other UNTIL the Government saw fit to begin the process of the fucking NANNYSTATE.

Don't you read history junior?

Not only do I read history, I had personal accounts from my parents who lived through it. The reason the New Deal came about was because the suffering was so great.

:link:

Ever heard of the great depression? Many people lost everything they've ever worked for. The ones who didn't nearly starved. Where was all the voluntary charity back then?

Dunno. Wasn't there. But I'd be willing to bet that it was there, and in droves.

Some of this country's biggest success stories were also started during that era.

They were everywhere...Americans hel[ped each other UNTIL the Government saw fit to begin the process of the fucking NANNYSTATE.

Not only do I read history, I had personal accounts from my parents who lived through it. The reason the New Deal came about was because the suffering was so great.

When will The Great Depression Ever End?

I thought Obama was all about hope and change......:(

And so do I. Americans helped each other and knew the stakes and didn't belive the crap fed them as is fed to them today. And that's what made them bounce back...they had each other.:eusa_hand:

My grandfather drove a school bus, worked as a brakeman on the railroad, and worked part time as a mechanic to make ends meet...

If you have to work a McDonalds fry cook job, a janitorial job, and a pizza delivery job to meet what you consider to be your needs and to get your own wants to whatever level.. SO FUCKING BE IT... if you never do what it takes to advance, never go the extra mile, never advance your education or training, make poor decisions, are lazy, or whatever else, SO FUCKING BE IT.. your personal situation is your personal situation

McDonald's: Nice work if you can get it. The headline of the article that I would link if I could is:

McDonalds Hires 62,000, Turns Away Over 938,000 Applicants For Minimum Wage, Part-Time Jobs

people got by however they could with helping each other...these Statist creeps want us to belive what and who we are is courtesy of Government.

:link:

Ever hear about every economic problem we've had every time gov't grows?

Besides most of our economic problems are caused by the Federal Reserve, which is basically the strongest branch of our gov't.

And so do I. Americans helped each other and knew the stakes and didn't belive the crap fed them as is fed to them today. And that's what made them bounce back...they had each other.:eusa_hand:

Hold on there.

:eusa_hand:

According to the OP we've never, "bounced back."

Ever since the New Deal Americans have needed a safety net that gets increasingly expensive, and larger, evey fucking year until if you take a shit the Department of Asswipes will show up from the Bureau of Funny Walks with a roll of toilet paper.

I am for voluntary safety nets... I fully support charity

But nobody owes you anything for your personal wants or needs.. you, as an adult, are responsible for your own upkeep, food, lodging, etc....

And how many soap box talking points are you going to try and string together in one mini-paragraph??

Before the days of forced charity through government confiscation, it worked beautifully.

It certainly did. Load of the "evil" rich donated to charity. Hell Carnegie was one of the most generous.

Then Govt decided that the producers should take care of the non producers.

LBJ's war on poverty comes to mind.

Now we have loads of folks who see no reason to take care of themselves. Why should they when someone else is paying their bills.

Safety net?? More like a free ride. Its great till you run out of other peoples money.

Hold on there.

:eusa_hand:

According to the OP we've never, "bounced back."

Ever since the New Deal Americans have needed a safety net that gets increasingly expensive, and larger, evey fucking year until if you take a shit the Department of Asswipes will show up from the Bureau of Funny Walks with a roll of toilet paper.

yeah he's the same sort of asshole Statist that belives in the 'Zero Sum Game'...One pie one size...never expands or can expand. :cool:

Yes, agree, the collapse and dust bowl were severe, my parents lived through it as well, lifted themselves up by their boot straps, found work, fought in a world war, and became what we now consider the middle class, aka the greatest generation, however, government went far beyond the scope of the new deal to become the gravy train.

people got by however they could with helping each other...these Statist creeps want us to belive what and who we are is courtesy of Government.

People are adapting. Many are now living in minivans and their cars. And as more and more people opt out, the demand for goods and services deteriorates and the economic slow-down accelerates. Maybe it's all for the best - I suppose we'll find out before long. However, the rise of third-world America is something I never thought I'd see from my optimistic childhood growing up in the 60's and 70's.

In other words, why do you think you'll never need to be supported through rough times? Our economy is rapidly changing - moving towards a knowledge based system. Outsourcing to third world countries is killing our manufacturing base and thanks to trade agreements, no one profits from that except the multinational corporations. Illegal immigrants fill the niche for unskilled labor. Few people have enough land or have sufficient water rights to produce their own food. And most middle class Americans are drowning in a sea of mortgage and credit card debt.

The "safety net" is a euphemism for organized plunder. The economy has been changing rapidly for 200 years. Rapid change is the hallmark of capitalism. Ossifying the economy doesn't help us compete in the global market. It does precisely the opposite.

Organized plunder is when lobbyists enter congressional offices with lists of proposals requested by the companies or trade groups they represent. Know what I mean? Things like preferential tax breaks and favorable legislation come to mind. Of course, they also bring campaign contribution 'commitments' with them from their bosses, assuming Congress can come through for them, of course.

People are adapting. Many are now living in minivans and their cars. And as more and more people opt out, the demand for goods and services deteriorates and the economic slow-down accelerates. Maybe it's all for the best - I suppose we'll find out before long. However, the rise of third-world America is something I never thought I'd see from my optimistic childhood growing up in the 60's and 70's.

But YET something YOU cheer on Statist creep. Get out of my face.:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back