Why are so many Jews Democrats?

Abbey Normal said:
I agree. But I have no problem with caring about both, so long as America is the priority if there is a conflict of interest.

We each have 1 vote and with that 'we the people' decide what America's priorities should be. That's what is right with the system. No one gets to tell me how to vote or for whom. :usa:

That makes no sense. Let's defend our own country first, worry about other ones (Taiwan for example) last. That's common sense folks.

Kathianne said:
We each have 1 vote and with that 'we the people' decide what America's priorities should be. That's what is right with the system. No one gets to tell me how to vote or for whom. :usa:

Unless you are a Democrat voting in Philly. ;)

To become a citizen, you must be willing to swear your loyalty to the United States. You must give up your allegiance to any other country. You must agree to support and defend the U.S. Constitution. When you become a citizen, you accept all of the responsibilities of being an American. In return, you get certain rights and privileges of citizenship.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/becoming.htm

Kathianne said:

Exactly. We can try to change minds, but we can't legislate hearts - and thank God.

Kathianne said:

That's what the anti-semites use for justifying the way they vote too.

bush lover said:
That makes no sense. Let's defend our own country first, worry about other ones (Taiwan for example) last. That's common sense folks.

Defending allies is in our own interests, especially in a region where we have few, if any.

For instance, most of our 'old' allies in Europe, have turned out to be enemies. Yet, we still have troops there, why? Much of Eastern Europe and UK are good reasons.

Kathianne said:
Defending allies is in our own interests, especially in a region where we have few, if any.

For instance, most of our 'old' allies in Europe, have turned out to be enemies. Yet, we still have troops there, why? Much of Eastern Europe and UK are good reasons.

Good point. In fact, aren't we accused lately of not courting our allies enough? Can't win either way.

Abbey Normal said:
Good point. In fact, aren't we accused lately of not courting our allies enough? Can't win either way.

Actually the whole idea of 'allies' and 'diplomacy' are relics from European chicanery, which we bought into. I like the idea that we are moving more to 'allies' of conveinence rather than pretending that 'states' can really have 'friends.'

Abbey Normal said:

we certainly are not guilty of not courting Israel---look at the foreign aid numbers and ask yourself why they receive such a large portion of aid while we let citizens of other countries get massacred without lifting a finger.

dilloduck said:
we certainly are not guilty of not courting Israel---look at the foreign aid numbers and ask yourself why they receive such a large portion of aid while we let citizens of other countries get massacred without lifting a finger.

You sound like you have put a lot of thought into this, so why don't you tell me why you think they receive such a large amount of aid?

Abbey Normal said:
You sound like you have put a lot of thought into this, so why don't you tell me why you think they receive such a large amount of aid?

I don't know and dont understand why. One would think it would be easy to find documentation or accountablity but we have done this for years and the "loans" are always forgiven.

So in the process of Israeli nation building, the US has also received intelligence and munitions storage facilities to fight Soviet agression. The down side is that allying ourselves with Israel has made efforts to be peacemakers in the mid-east more difficult.

Abbey Normal said:
That is a reasonable explanation, but what about the liberties of the people of Israel? Surely they are more at risk than anyone's in America? I guess I just don't undertsand the disconnect between American Jews and Israel. I would think it would be of high importance.

I think American Jews wanted to be sure they were safe from oppression in America before they lobbyed for their homeland and the Democrats seemed to offer that at the time. Feeling a bit safer in America, I think they now see the Republicans as the party that will protect Israel and their money. Similar to what Zhuk posted.

I think that the whole Jewish/Progressive tie goes back to the Old Testament. In it, Jews were commanded to look after the poor, the widowed, the orphaned, the stranger in their country and so on. I believe some Jews that take the side of Democrats are actually following that commandment. After all, the Democrats have passed themselves off as the "Party of the People" for several generations...

Many Jews also have a very strong intellectual background as well. Unfortunately, that intellectual acheivement has sometimes overshadowed the relgion/faith part of the Jewish identity. Often times, Jews have gotten involved in far left wing causes, even to the point of denying the existence of God.

David Horowitz once wrote something about this. Jews saw themselves as being outcasts from society and discrimated against by the mainstream. Thus, their attitude toward "the establishment" is understandable, many want to change the fabric of the society that they feel has been discriminating against them for so long. That is, those Jews who still feel outcast.

However, many Jews are conservative, Ben Stein, David Horowitz are two that come to mind. In their case, they don't see themselves as being outcast, but see the American form of government as the Jews' best chance at having a better life not only for themselves, but for their children, attaining equality and for once, being able to practice their religion without fear.

Forum List

Back