Why Are Police Shootings Dominating the News?

Police shootings are this years shark attacks. By July, the public stomach for consuming the stories will be well saturated and the media will move on. Part of that will be the well drying up....I would imagine that in PDs across the nation, the word is being passed down to not use deadly force unless you have to. If, for no other reason, the politics involved; most Chiefs of Police are appointed by elected officials and, knowing this, the mayors will be riding their top cops hard on this front. It will take months to shake it out to the street level.

The reality is that we have a lot of people who think they know where the line is thanks to the Internet and YouTube and will give peace officers who are just trying to do their job a hard time. Every so often a furtive movement will be read wrong and boom, Al Sharpton is in your town for his own idiotic purposes. Al could care less about the victim or their families.

yt_s-HxW_xzwMQ.jpg

I

Nice graphic but, if you're Black, those facts can get you killed.

It keeps the savage masses form addressing the real issue... I.e., a young black male has a much larger chance of being shot by another young black male than a cop.

The cops are not the problem in the black community.
What does that have to do with cops shooting Black kids. People expect criminals to shoot other people. We dont expect cops to do it.

Uhm, then why do cops carry weapons? Just for show?

Hey, sometimes people get shot. How often do people get shot by cops for no reason?

It is very, very rare.

Not if you're Black.

You're trying awfully hard to excuse police brutality and murder.

Try not being such a hack for a moment and try reading what I wrote... I'm not excusing anything. What I am saying is that until a very frank discussion is had on the subject of the deaths of young black males, you'll never be able to address the problem. But then, perhaps you're comfortable with the false narrative that cop are running around randomly shooting young black men.

Police shootings are this years shark attacks. By July, the public stomach for consuming the stories will be well saturated and the media will move on. Part of that will be the well drying up....I would imagine that in PDs across the nation, the word is being passed down to not use deadly force unless you have to. If, for no other reason, the politics involved; most Chiefs of Police are appointed by elected officials and, knowing this, the mayors will be riding their top cops hard on this front. It will take months to shake it out to the street level.

The reality is that we have a lot of people who think they know where the line is thanks to the Internet and YouTube and will give peace officers who are just trying to do their job a hard time. Every so often a furtive movement will be read wrong and boom, Al Sharpton is in your town for his own idiotic purposes. Al could care less about the victim or their families.

yt_s-HxW_xzwMQ.jpg

I

Nice graphic but, if you're Black, those facts can get you killed.

We need to remember that arrested persons dying, detained persons being shot, or any other police encounter rarely leads to brutality and even less often results in injuries or death.

SNIP:
Decoding the Rules of Baltimore
For the left, rioting is an effective political tool.
by Victor Davis Hanson
May 3, 2015 - 9:49 pm

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Jeremiah Wright, in a way quite unlike the Asian, Jewish, ethnic, and Latino communities — things will not change much. Is there a Cuban or Chinese or Korean national reverend who takes it upon himself to agitate and negotiate collective grievances?

Until then, let us review the Baltimore Rules:

1) Statistics are irrelevant. Emotion rules and no one cares about larger statistical challenges. Blacks make up almost 13% of the population and commit 52% of the nation’s murders. Based on their statistical representation in the U.S. population, African-Americans on average are eight times more likely to inflict a violent crime and six times more likely to suffer a criminal act than is the general population. This fact is irrelevant; it is not the numbers per se that frame black homicide, but the conditions under which they occur that seem to matter. “Black lives matter” supposedly translates into the fact that blacks might be able to pressure police (of all races) from taking 200 black lives a year during arrests, but can do little if anything about stopping 6,000 black murders at the hands of other blacks. Darren Wilson serves as an easy poster boy for the public enemy, but a Crip gangbanger is a quite different candidate for group-hate.

ALL of it here:
Decoding the Rules of Baltimore Works and Days

wake up folks

Snip:
Censorship is at play in Baltimore’s crisis

471374988.jpg

Getty Images

A police car passed two car fires in Baltimore during Monday’s riots.

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist May 03, 2015

Baltimore burns, shops are looted, rioters attack firefighters with bottles and bricks. And amid all the violence and ruin, what drives the chattering class into a froth of indignation? That anyone would use the word “thugs” to describe the vandals and criminals reducing Baltimore to rubble.

As berserkers ran amok Monday, the city’s mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, deplored the destruction: “Too many people have invested in building up this city to allow thugs to tear it down.”

That set the hounds baying. Rawlings-Blake was accused of using a racial slur. Baltimore City Councilor Carl Stokes angrily told CNN that calling rioters “thugs” is just like calling them the N-word. The Rev. Jamal Bryant, the eulogist at Freddie Gray’s funeral, repeated the accusation: “ ‘Thugs’ is the 21st-century word for the N-word,” he said Wednesday, “and it is repulsive and it is offensive.” Wale, the popular Washington, D.C.-based rapper, told Baltimore teens that Rawlings-Blake owed them a direct apology for saying something so “stupid.” Others piled on.

It didn’t take long for the mayor to surrender. “We don’t have thugs in Baltimore. . . . We have a lot of kids that are acting out,” she told a group of church leaders. For good measure, she blamed her “little anger interpreter,” pointing to her head in self-abasement. There was more apologizing online. “I wanted to clarify my comments on ‘thugs,’ ” she tweeted. “When you speak out of frustration and anger, one can say things in a way that you don’t mean.”

So now in Baltimore, with the seventh-highest violent crime rate among US cities, the nonracial word “thugs” is banished as racist — even when spoken by a black mayor. Thus the degradation of the public discourse proceeds.

all of it here:
In Baltimore crisis the word thugs is not the issue - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Why don't the RWs here want the truth to be told about police brutality?

They don't mind the truth being told. Maybe the progressives should try telling it and see what happens.

dilloduck

Are you saying those vidoe's are not true? Or that other incidents of blatant brutality are not true? If so, I ask you the same question Sonny Clark asked Stephanie

Can you prove the brutality shown in the link are not true?

Its easy to hide behind childish name calling but I don't see any facts from the RWs here.
Thank you.... Of course they can't dispute the stories and videos..... They obviously live in denial......... I agree with you.

Oh your games you all play, I don't HAVE TO dispute anything. I just warned people not to go there. You all can go suck it up all you want
Denial retards the intelligence process. Read and compare what you think you know, with what is already known and proven. Constantly update your awareness and information feeds, and try to digest everything you possibly can. Always separate the wheat from the chaff, and never be afraid to accept that which may be different from your ideals.

WAKE up people. Sharpton is HOLDING a march to call for this very thing

SNIP:

Want a lawless police force? Federalize it: Column
Glenn Harlan Reynolds 4:28 p.m. EDT May 3, 2015
Accountability comes from having law enforcement under multiple umbrellas.
635662594562899491-AP-SECRET-SERVICE-DRONES-71473996.JPG

(Photo: Susan Walsh, AP)

In the wake of the Baltimore riots, Al Sharpton is calling for the federal takeover of local police. Like most ideas from the loathsome Rev. Sharpton, this is a lousy one. But since federalizing local police is actually an Obama administration idea, it's worth paying a bit more attention.

The idea behind federal supervision of local police forces is that it will make them more accountable. Instead of a bunch of presumptively racist, violent hicks running things on a local level, we'll see the cool professionalism of the national government in charge.

There are (at least) two problems with this approach. The first is that federal law enforcement, especially in recent years, hasn't exactly been a haven of cool professionalism. The second is that no law enforcement agency is very good at policing itself, meaning that a national police force is likely to be less accountable, not more. And there's a third problem, too, but we'll get to that in a minute.

USA TODAY

Ellis Cose: Baltimore cries out for end to denial

To believe that a federalized approach to policing would be an improvement over the current system, you'd have to ignore an awful lot of misbehavior by federal law enforcement lately. There's the scandal with the Secret Service and hookers just before Obama's trip to Colombia. There's the entirely separate scandal with the Drug Enforcement Agency and hookers (hookers paid for by Colombia drug lords, no less). There's the fact that the Secret Service's hooker-scandal investigator had to resign amid a scandal of his own. There's the Secret Service's alleged attempt to use a fraudulent warrant in an effort to search a house illegally. There are the federal agents charged with stealing Bitcoins during a criminal investigation, and, of course, the laughable inability of the entire Homeland Security apparatus to keep a postal worker's gyrocopter away from the Capitol despite advance notice.

all of it here:
Want a lawless police force Federalize it Column

They don't mind the truth being told. Maybe the progressives should try telling it and see what happens.

dilloduck

Are you saying those vidoe's are not true? Or that other incidents of blatant brutality are not true? If so, I ask you the same question Sonny Clark asked Stephanie

Its easy to hide behind childish name calling but I don't see any facts from the RWs here.
Thank you.... Of course they can't dispute the stories and videos..... They obviously live in denial......... I agree with you.

Oh your games you all play, I don't HAVE TO dispute anything. I just warned people not to go there. You all can go suck it up all you want
Denial retards the intelligence process. Read and compare what you think you know, with what is already known and proven. Constantly update your awareness and information feeds, and try to digest everything you possibly can. Always separate the wheat from the chaff, and never be afraid to accept that which may be different from your ideals.

fine, my last post to you
goodbye

It keeps the savage masses form addressing the real issue... I.e., a young black male has a much larger chance of being shot by another young black male than a cop.

What does that have to do with cops shooting Black kids. People expect criminals to shoot other people. We dont expect cops to do it.

Uhm, then why do cops carry weapons? Just for show?

Hey, sometimes people get shot. How often do people get shot by cops for no reason?

It is very, very rare.

Not if you're Black.

You're trying awfully hard to excuse police brutality and murder.

Try not being such a hack for a moment and try reading what I wrote... I'm not excusing anything. What I am saying is that until a very frank discussion is had on the subject of the deaths of young black males, you'll never be able to address the problem. But then, perhaps you're comfortable with the false narrative that cop are running around randomly shooting young black men.

Try not being such a racist for a moment and try reading the OP.

Its about police brutality to all races.

Law enforcement.

Cops.

The OP is not about civilians killing civilians. If you want to introduce that, you may as well include auto accidents.

BUT, in point of fact, cops are shooting/killing/assaulting Blacks at an astounding rate. Freddy Gray was just the latest who was killed for no reason.

WAKE up people. Sharpton is HOLDING a march to call for this very thing

SNIP:

Want a lawless police force? Federalize it: Column
Glenn Harlan Reynolds 4:28 p.m. EDT May 3, 2015
Accountability comes from having law enforcement under multiple umbrellas.
635662594562899491-AP-SECRET-SERVICE-DRONES-71473996.JPG

(Photo: Susan Walsh, AP)

In the wake of the Baltimore riots, Al Sharpton is calling for the federal takeover of local police. Like most ideas from the loathsome Rev. Sharpton, this is a lousy one. But since federalizing local police is actually an Obama administration idea, it's worth paying a bit more attention.

The idea behind federal supervision of local police forces is that it will make them more accountable. Instead of a bunch of presumptively racist, violent hicks running things on a local level, we'll see the cool professionalism of the national government in charge.

There are (at least) two problems with this approach. The first is that federal law enforcement, especially in recent years, hasn't exactly been a haven of cool professionalism. The second is that no law enforcement agency is very good at policing itself, meaning that a national police force is likely to be less accountable, not more. And there's a third problem, too, but we'll get to that in a minute.

USA TODAY

Ellis Cose: Baltimore cries out for end to denial

To believe that a federalized approach to policing would be an improvement over the current system, you'd have to ignore an awful lot of misbehavior by federal law enforcement lately. There's the scandal with the Secret Service and hookers just before Obama's trip to Colombia. There's the entirely separate scandal with the Drug Enforcement Agency and hookers (hookers paid for by Colombia drug lords, no less). There's the fact that the Secret Service's hooker-scandal investigator had to resign amid a scandal of his own. There's the Secret Service's alleged attempt to use a fraudulent warrant in an effort to search a house illegally. There are the federal agents charged with stealing Bitcoins during a criminal investigation, and, of course, the laughable inability of the entire Homeland Security apparatus to keep a postal worker's gyrocopter away from the Capitol despite advance notice.

all of it here:
Want a lawless police force Federalize it Column

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
ROLL ON THIS PEOPLE
BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

dilloduck

good advice for all of us.

It's BOTH !!!!!!!

In the grand scheme of things, not really.
Ok, fair enough ... so, please explain "the grand scheme"

Ok, put another way, it is so rare that when the CDC compiles the numbers, there isn't even a category for it. Juan Williams, who is no Conservative, has written articles documenting the FACT that murder by black males is the leading cause of death in black males.... 40% of all deaths ages 15 - 34. 40%!!

White males? Murder is less than 15%.
But, there's a huge different between black on black murder, black on white murder, white on white murder, white on black murder, and that of supposedly trusted public servants murdering both blacks and white. We expect gangs, criminals, and loose canons to murder and to go postal, but we shouldn't accept the same conduct from members of law enforcement. The percentages fail to paint the complete picture. In order to see the whole picture clearly, one would have to read the many stories of police brutality, rape, stealing, taking bribes, lying in court, covering for other bad cops, in addition to the murder of unarmed citizens. Race is not the core issue, the core issue is police misconduct and the legal system which approves of it and condones it.

dilloduck

goodbye
Good-bye .......... have a great day.... thanks for the pleasant chat ... it's been a real pleasure for sure........ we'll have to do it again sometime ....... enjoy your day and be safe ......

Because the DISGUSTING FILTH in the Lame Stream Media is part of the dimocrap filth coalition and they are fueling the narrative.

Not a conspiracy theory. As plain as day to anyone with an IQ.

Plus -- It's easy. No hard work, no shoe leather, no phone calls, no interviews with tough customers, no..... No nothing. Just write what you're told to write when you get that Fax from the DNC. And THAT is not a joke.

'journalists' and 'reporters' stopped working to report the news years ago. Now, they're just stenographers for the DNC.

In fact, I saw a poll last week where the DISGUSTING FILTH in the LSM is less trusted than is Congress.

And they deserve that lack of trust. And worse. Much worse.

Much, much worse
You seem angry.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

oh well , the clowns are here to crap all over another thread

TIME to wake up folks, these far and few Incidents they are picking and choosing TO PROTEST OVER. all of this is being PLANNED by, (guess who) and being used Against YOU by the Democrat party, Unions, etc FOR THEIR AGENDAS. they are also using BLACK people (the rioters and looters) in all this AS PAWNS.
wake the hell up

snip:
olice shootings and other tales of alleged police abuse (e.g., Eric Garner) dominate the news these days. You can hardly open a newspaper or turn on a television set without seeing protesters, rioters and looters, along with earnest talking heads debating the issue. Why is this? Why has violence on the part of policemen become the story du jour?

One possible answer is that police violence is a terrible problem that presumably has been with us for quite a while, but is just now coming to light. Some respectable commentators support this view. Reason, for example, links to KilledByPolice.net and concludes that “more than 1,000 people have been killed by police in 2014.” KilledByPolice.net is an interesting, bare bones database that collects stories about fatal incidents involving law enforcement from a wide variety of sources.

But it isn’t really a shock that, in a country of 320 million, there are a perceptible number of fatal encounters with policemen. If you follow the links on the KilledByPolice site, it is immediately obvious that in the overwhelming majority of cases, no possible blame can be attached to the officers in question. Most often the person they shoot is a criminal, and they shoot the criminal because the criminal fired first. The second most common fatal incident is commonly referred to as “suicide by cop.” This happens often, and one can argue that better means of dealing with would-be suicides could be developed. But this is not the issue that consumes our news shows. (A digression: an astonishing number of people commit suicide by standing in front of trains. No one blames the railroads for this.)

I haven’t attempted an exhaustive analysis of the cases linked at KilledByPolice, but if you spend some time reviewing the linked stories, I think you will conclude, as I did, that the percentage of cases in which police officers could reasonably be blamed is very small–somewhere between 1 and 5 percent. So maybe there are somewhere between 10 and 50 cases a year where a serious claim could be made that improper police conduct–not just homicide, but any sort of questionable judgment–resulted in a fatality. (From what we know so far, I would say that the Freddie Gray case is probably one of them.) Is this enough to explain the current obsession with the police?

I don’t think so. To draw a simple comparison, every year something like 390 children, most of them younger than five years old, drown in swimming pools. If our news media were to take on swimming pool safety as a cause, and give every one of these drownings–more than one per day–front page, above the fold coverage, and if our television talking heads were to devote a large portion of their time to debating swimming pool safety and the ins and outs of each individual drowning, many people would no doubt be convinced that we are living in the midst of a swimming pool crisis. That crisis would be an order of magnitude greater than the police abuse scandal, and a large majority of the victims would be small children, not the sketchy characters that police officers so often encounter.

But that isn’t happening. Given the comparative insignificance of the police abuse issue, quantitatively speaking, one might suspect that its current dominance of public discourse fits someone’s agenda.

Which, of course, it does. The police abuse story, which began in a nascent form with Trayvon Martin and continued, more fully developed, with Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, is part of the Democratic Party’s effort to divide America along racial lines, in expectation of political gain. Leftists say “Black lives matter,” as though there were some people who say they don’t. Rarely has paranoia been more ruthlessly, or more dishonestly, promoted.

But a more specific left-wing agenda may also be in play. Al Sharpton–as buffoonish as Harry Reid and as corrupt as Hillary Clinton, with more blood on his hands than Democratic National Committeeman Bull Connor–is one of his party’s most authentic spokesmen. And Sharpton wants to place the nation’s police forces under federal control: “We need the Justice Department to step in and take over policing in this country.” Here he is:

ALL of it here:
Why Are Police Shootings Dominating the News Power Line
Police Brutality The Free Thought Project

the free thought project is a BLOG, why are we suppose to take them as a serious source?
I checked them and it is a DISGUSTING lowlife place folks. DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE unless you want garbage

Dummy.

YOU posted a far right blog.

Admit it - you don't want facts. You only want rabid RW racism.

I think we should be looking at all sides of any given issue.
:rofl: OMG OMG frikken frikken hoopla-snatchoo Blogger-schicken PEEPHOLE Gawd!

TIME to wake up folks, these far and few Incidents they are picking and choosing TO PROTEST OVER. all of this is being PLANNED by, (guess who) and being used Against YOU by the Democrat party, Unions, etc FOR THEIR AGENDAS. they are also using BLACK people (the rioters and looters) in all this AS PAWNS.
wake the hell up

snip:
olice shootings and other tales of alleged police abuse (e.g., Eric Garner) dominate the news these days. You can hardly open a newspaper or turn on a television set without seeing protesters, rioters and looters, along with earnest talking heads debating the issue. Why is this? Why has violence on the part of policemen become the story du jour?

One possible answer is that police violence is a terrible problem that presumably has been with us for quite a while, but is just now coming to light. Some respectable commentators support this view. Reason, for example, links to KilledByPolice.net and concludes that “more than 1,000 people have been killed by police in 2014.” KilledByPolice.net is an interesting, bare bones database that collects stories about fatal incidents involving law enforcement from a wide variety of sources.

But it isn’t really a shock that, in a country of 320 million, there are a perceptible number of fatal encounters with policemen. If you follow the links on the KilledByPolice site, it is immediately obvious that in the overwhelming majority of cases, no possible blame can be attached to the officers in question. Most often the person they shoot is a criminal, and they shoot the criminal because the criminal fired first. The second most common fatal incident is commonly referred to as “suicide by cop.” This happens often, and one can argue that better means of dealing with would-be suicides could be developed. But this is not the issue that consumes our news shows. (A digression: an astonishing number of people commit suicide by standing in front of trains. No one blames the railroads for this.)

I haven’t attempted an exhaustive analysis of the cases linked at KilledByPolice, but if you spend some time reviewing the linked stories, I think you will conclude, as I did, that the percentage of cases in which police officers could reasonably be blamed is very small–somewhere between 1 and 5 percent. So maybe there are somewhere between 10 and 50 cases a year where a serious claim could be made that improper police conduct–not just homicide, but any sort of questionable judgment–resulted in a fatality. (From what we know so far, I would say that the Freddie Gray case is probably one of them.) Is this enough to explain the current obsession with the police?

I don’t think so. To draw a simple comparison, every year something like 390 children, most of them younger than five years old, drown in swimming pools. If our news media were to take on swimming pool safety as a cause, and give every one of these drownings–more than one per day–front page, above the fold coverage, and if our television talking heads were to devote a large portion of their time to debating swimming pool safety and the ins and outs of each individual drowning, many people would no doubt be convinced that we are living in the midst of a swimming pool crisis. That crisis would be an order of magnitude greater than the police abuse scandal, and a large majority of the victims would be small children, not the sketchy characters that police officers so often encounter.

But that isn’t happening. Given the comparative insignificance of the police abuse issue, quantitatively speaking, one might suspect that its current dominance of public discourse fits someone’s agenda.

Which, of course, it does. The police abuse story, which began in a nascent form with Trayvon Martin and continued, more fully developed, with Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, is part of the Democratic Party’s effort to divide America along racial lines, in expectation of political gain. Leftists say “Black lives matter,” as though there were some people who say they don’t. Rarely has paranoia been more ruthlessly, or more dishonestly, promoted.

But a more specific left-wing agenda may also be in play. Al Sharpton–as buffoonish as Harry Reid and as corrupt as Hillary Clinton, with more blood on his hands than Democratic National Committeeman Bull Connor–is one of his party’s most authentic spokesmen. And Sharpton wants to place the nation’s police forces under federal control: “We need the Justice Department to step in and take over policing in this country.” Here he is:

ALL of it here:
Why Are Police Shootings Dominating the News Power Line
Police Brutality The Free Thought Project

the free thought project is a BLOG, why are we suppose to take them as a serious source?
I checked them and it is a DISGUSTING lowlife place folks. DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE unless you want garbage

Dummy.

YOU posted a far right blog.

Admit it - you don't want facts. You only want rabid RW racism.

I think we should be looking at all sides of any given issue.
:rofl: OMG OMG frikken frikken hoopla-snatchoo Blogger-schicken PEEPHOLE Gawd!

According to StooopidStuff, no one else has ever suggested a national police force AND far right op/ed blogs are good but actual videos of police brutality are "garbage".

dilloduck

Razzle-frazzle schicken-dickin you PEEPHOWL! D8n it agian Gawd!

dilloduck

goodbye
Smoooooooch! Now, make me an okra pot chocolate chip cigarette butt wood shaving jack daniels cookie!!

Forum List

Back