Why are men's pants sized in a meaningful way and women's clothes not?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Men buy pants sized, for example, 34 inches X 34 inches. Women's are sized 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 or whatever non-specific measurement they use. I can wrap my head around 34 inches by 34 inches. What does 0, 2, 6 etc. even mean?

Imagine if scales worked that way or if there existed no concrete specification of how fast your automobile was travelling and there was absolutely no way to calculate how long it would take you to arrive at your destination.

It makes no sense.

Men buy pants sized, for example, 34 inches X 34 inches. Women's are sized 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 or whatever non-specific measurement they use. I can wrap my head around 34 inches by 34 inches. What does 0, 2, 6 etc. even mean?

Imagine if scales worked that way or if there existed no concrete specification of how fast your automobile was travelling and there was absolutely no way to calculate how long it would take you to arrive at your destination.

It makes no sense.
maybe it's like men's shirts, small, medium, large, XL, XXL, XXXL......

It makes no sense.
maybe it's like men's shirts, small, medium, large, XL, XXL, XXXL......

That is correct. Shirts need to be a specific number of inches by a specific number of inches as well.

For the most part, men's shirts that are sized S, M, L, XL, XXL ect conform to somewhat set measurements.

Women's clothing, however, varies greatly from brand to brand. I remember helping my daughter shop for school clothes when she was in high school. She had a couple of pairs of size 7 pants. One pair she could take off without unsnapping them. Another she could not snap.

The OP is correct. Their clothes sizes are insane.

A pair of men's 34X34 pants made in 1958 are the same size as a pair of 34X34 pants made in 2018. Let's look at women's clothing.

One Chart Will Change Everything You Know About Women's Sizes

"Most remarkably, a size 8 in 1958 fits measurements smaller than a size 00 in 2011."

upload_2018-12-14_20-39-20.png

Women can't deal with pants reflecting their actual body measurments in inches.

So their pants come in a fantasy numbering system that has no relationship with reality. ... :cool:

Women can't deal with pants reflecting their actual body measurments in inches.

So their pants come in a fantasy numbering system that has no relationship with reality. ... :cool:
ding ding ding
Winner winner chicken dinner!

no woman wants to know her waist size in real numbers!

It's all about the kibbles and bits.

Some have kibbles and others have bits.

It doesn't help that there are 'Junior' sizes for late teens, early adult (20-30?yo).....then there's 'Women' sizes for 30+yo

I recall, in a past life, I was getting a pair of slacks tailored. It was in the mid-sixties, bellbottoms and tight. The tailor was marking the length with his tailor's chalk and he asked me if I dressed right or left. I had to ask him, "what do you mean"? I NEVER asked that question again! :bigboy:

New Topics

Forum List

Back