Why are conservatives embracing false narratives of urban decline, and what can be done to encourage embracing social/political reality?

iu
:dunno:

Overall crime is down in Seattle and other Blue gem cities.

That's a fact.

Why are conservatives denying this reality?

Like most parts of the West, the mild weather attracts the homeless.

But Seattle is seeing overall crime down, and remains a beautiful city whose biggest problem is affordable housing because so many want to live there.

Why do you think conservatives embrace and promote false narratives about urban decline, decay and chaos?

ec3f68b3-c02a-46e4-a13f-be7cf23945b9_1920x1080.jpg

Murder up in Seattle. Rising steadily since 2015.

We lived there and moved away, won’t live there anywhere near there again. Our company wanted me to take a promotion and work at the home office in Seattle and I turned it down. Crime, drugs, and homeless were all factored in to the decision. Some people like it, I don’t, just speaking for myself.
Seattle was a great city. Now it's a shithole. I live in eastern Washington and used to visit often. I won't go near it. Democrats have ruined it.

Seattle is just one example of a Blue city so successful that you're astonished by the disparity between its safety/beauty on the one hand, and the bizarre apocalyptic narratives attached to it by conservatives on the other:

But Seattle's not alone in the reality/false narrative gap; both New York City and Los Angeles rank among the 20 greatest cities in the world in a recent Conde Nast survey:

I mention Seattle only because a recent visit there revealed an amazing, safe, thriving city whose biggest problem - as with many US cities - is affordable housing due to the influx of newcomers clamoring for its emerald beauty.

So what gives?

Part of the explanation may be that conservatives are so hungry for a return to power that they seem unable to refrain from saying whatever it takes to sell a less than truthful narrative regarding our greatest cities in particular, and our country in general.

But there may be a deeper cause, as explored in this article:

What is the cost - to both conservatives and those exposed to their false narratives - of insisting on apocalyptic myths of societal decay contrary to the reality of blossoming urban areas?

What can be done to turn away these troubling false narratives and embrace the beautiful truth?

You should hqve put this in the humor section...

You know what....USmessageboard needs a democrat party gaslighting section.......for the lies the democras have ro tell to save the democrats

Seattle's murder rate is so low per capita that a slight rise appears significant, but isn't.

Cities like Memphis and Nashville - for instance - have MUCH higher per capita murder rates.

It's a tragedy for the few additional people who were killed in Seattle, but crime is down overall there, and the area remains safe, beautiful and a highly desirable place to live.

Why do you think conservatives embrace the falsehoods of chaos and decay?

Perhaps you should leave you fantasy world and actually look a the evidence that has been posted to the contrary. No need to answer, I won't be bumping this stupid thread again.

Just one of many thriving Blue cities.

But conservatives insist on promoting falsehoods about it and other thriving urban areas.

Why do you think this happens?

Anecdotes are awesome.

I know people in Seattle who don't live in unwarranted fear.

Conservatives who embrace false narratives of decay/chaos don't feel safe; it's sort of like a cult of fear and bitterness.

Why do you think conservatives choose to live this way?

Phew, you are so full of shit, MAGA man. Deny reality all you want, the only one you're fooling are your MAGA buds, racist

Just old farts retiring.
I think it's a mixed group, with housing costs a leading factor.

But the false conservative narrative of Blue urban shitholes is one they simply won't give up on no matter how thoroughly/often it's debunked.

BS, https://www.seattle.gov/documents/Departments/Police/Reports/2022_SPD_CRIME_REPORT_FINAL.pdf

Violent crimes are at a 15 year high, 2022 is higher than 2021 levels, up over 4%.

I’ll take the police departmen’s hard facts over your lies.
The SPD reports that in 2023, overall crime is down.

The other issues I addressed in the post you quoted but apparently didn't read.

But are you saying you don't believe the SPD's 2023 figures because I'm the one quoting them?

That's rather bizarre if so.

Or perhaps you're confusing 2022 with 2023?

why do many liberals just believe whats being told to them?
This isn't the topic.
.....outside of were you live that you can see....you dont really know if what you are being fed is true about the rest of the country.....
What are you saying?
people doing ok have great quality of life no matter were they are at.....people that are just getting by dont believe this shit because they dont see it.....they believe joe biden until they go to the grocery store and pay their bills......
Inflation and crime are down almost everywhere.

I can't walk the street in the neighborhoods of Minneapolis where I spent a large portion of my early 20s, or the neighborhood where my mother was raised.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I see that violent crime is down in the city, but that car thefts have increased.
Both my leisure and work travel take me to cities that I've experienced over the last number of decades, and every one I've returned to is worse than before.
What cities, and by what measures?
You can quit puking up the standard DNC/paleo media pablum...
As I would think you'd know from years of interaction with me here, I despise both parties, and trust the repulsive bigots at FOX News and Breitbart more than the vastly more deranged bigots at CNN, NYT, etc.

But this is irrelevant to the topic, which is the conservative embrace of false narratives of urban decay and chaos.

Why do conservatives insist on these negative and false beliefs?
Nobody with a memory longer than that of a goldfish is buying your bullshit.
Fallacious/irrelevant.
P.S...One of the aforementioned cities is Seattle, and it's a total shithole when only compared to the early oughts....
And yet overall crime is down, and so many people want to live there that housing is all but unaffordable.
Portland is the same; far worse.
While crime is also down in Portland, I can't speak to other issues it may or may not be having; it may or may not be an outlier.

Right those cities are nirvana
No city is.
in the same way the Southern border is secure.
It is clearly not.
I have no doubt there are good things in these cities
Indeed.
but there is also a lot of bad
I'm sure.
to pretend like it’s all one or the other is silly.
Of course.

Why do think conservatives do this, pretending that Blue urban gems are in a state of decline/chaos?

o city is.

It is clearly not.

Indeed.

I'm sure.

Of course.

Why do think conservatives do this, pretending that Blue urban gems are in a state of decline/chaos?
Because there is some truth to it and it highlights policy differences between the two sides. Things like defund the police cashless bail letting people shoplift $900.00 dollars worth of stuff before doing anything to them electing DA that won't proescute many crimes which these cities did to varying degrees helped cause the problems they have.

As I would think you'd know from years of interaction with me here, I despise both parties, and trust the repulsive bigots at FOX News and Breitbart more than the vastly more deranged bigots at CNN, NYT, etc.

But this is irrelevant to the topic, which is the conservative embrace of false narratives of urban decay and chaos.
Don't GAF....You're spewing leftoid happy talk blabbering.
And yet overall crime is down, and so many people want to live there that housing is all but unaffordable.
Down, compared to historic highs....Cold comfort.

Forum List

Back