Why Are Army Recruiters Committing Suicide?

Discussion in 'Military' started by strollingbones, Apr 7, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    When Army Staff Sergeant Amanda Henderson ran into Staff Sergeant Larry Flores in their Texas recruiting station last August, she was shocked by the dark circles under his eyes and his ragged appearance. "Are you O.K.?" she asked the normally squared-away soldier. "Sergeant Henderson, I am just really tired," he replied. "I had such a bad, long week, it was ridiculous." The previous Saturday, Flores' commanders had berated him for poor performance. He had worked every day since from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., trying to persuade the youth of Nacogdoches to wear Army green. "But I'm O.K.," he told her.

No, he wasn't. Later that night, Flores hanged himself in his garage with an extension cord. Henderson and her husband Patrick, both Army recruiters, were stunned. "I'll never forget sitting there at Sergeant Flores' memorial service with my husband and seeing his wife crying," Amanda recalls. "I remember looking over at Patrick and going, 'Why did he do this to her? Why did he do this to his children?' " Patrick didn't say anything, and Amanda now says Flores' suicide "triggered" something in her husband. Six weeks later, Patrick hanged himself with a dog chain in their backyard shed.

full 6 page article:

Why Are Army Recruiters Committing Suicide? - TIME

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

Guilt?

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    Not even. It is the pressure. Recruiting Duty can destroy careers and now a days you do not volunteer for the duty you get assigned. Even missing quote one month will result in a reprimand.

The hours are crazy, the work load unbelievable and the stress out of this world. If you are NOT a salesman type personality recruiting duty is the kiss of death for most.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    What is the penalty of not meeting your quota? Do you just get yelled at by a douchebag?

5. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    $CARI_Obama.gif

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    Your career ends. You are not going to be able to reenlist or be promoted because you will have bad fitness reports. Those that can not meet quote over a period of time are "fired" as recruiters given very bad fitness reports and sent packing off to some new crappy job with all their military plans destroyed.

7. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,993
    Working those kind of hours will break you down.

During our busiest and most stressful times of the year, it affects me and I don't even work as much as this guy was. People begin asking me what's wrong and if I'm ok so I know that it shows.

16 hour days and having to produce quota is ridiculous. His job would have gotten easier once we are out of Iraq and Afghanistan. I believe that is the main reason people didn't want to join the military over the past few years. Too risky.

I'm not sure about the pay, it can't be good enough to risk life and limb in the Middle East.

8. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Haha, that was the first thing I thought too.

EDIT: Not like it's laughing matter, of course.

9. Mr. President

Mr. President BOARD PRESIDENT..carry on

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Why are we taking a single MOS and saying its the reason. Most soldiers on recruiting detail in the Army just got back from Iraq or Afghanistan and chose recruiting because it makes them non deployable. But what people are missing is that they just got back from war. That is where the burden is. The long hours driving and extra stress are things that compile on top of PTSD.

10. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    ouch. is that the case in all branches? coast guard and natl guard, too?