Why A War Against Gay Marriage And Gay Rights Won't Improve Society

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Nov 8, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    So I was sitting in church on base last week, and the chaplain comes up to give the sermon of the day. Lots of ships were pulling out for exercises last week, so I figured it would be something along the usual lines of "be strong when you're afraid, when you're lonely, have faith". Instead he delieved a blistering attack on homosexuals and gay marriage, "rotting" the very foundation of american society. Five days later, I have a response to him and those like him who are now celebrating their newfound power in America.

There are some who believe gays to be rotting the American society. There are some who believe allowing gays civil unions and other benefits would severely damage the fabric of marriage and other sacred institutions. There are some who have been attacking "immorality" for nearly 30 years and now have their dream hot button issue in banning gay marriage and the rights of gays.

All of these folks are tragically mistaken. What is endangering our society is a "me" first mentality that allows people to rationalize adultery, abuse, abandonment and abdication of parental and family responsiblity. We also have serious flaws that have developed in our society that are rotting it from the inside with most prosperous Americans unaware.

We have far too many parents working far too many hours to provide for their children with ever increasing healthcare, education, fuel/transportation and housing prices, in addition to regular inflation. Many of our children have loving, caring parents who give a very big DAMN about their future, they just never see them because they're working multiple jobs just to pay the bills.

We have a popular culture that promotes irresponsibility, violence, ignorance and laziness. How can you have a decent society with indecent entertainment and culture?

We have a set of drug laws that incarcerates hundreds of thousands of men (especially black men in this and the last generation) for trival drug offences, such as use or sale of a minute amount. How many fathers, how many sons have been locked away, at a high cost to their families, to the taxpayers and to their larger societies?

Homosexuals and their radical fringes make a convenient, easy target, but the misguided war against them will do nothing to help America.

Lastly, those on the religious right (and center) who rail and rant about homosexuals do far less raging and ranting about the injustices of the world, the everyday, avoidable tragedies that befall people. With the exception of Franklin Graham, I don't see Ralph Reed or any of his ilk spreading outrage about the genocide in Darfur or slavery in southern Sudan or Brazil. I don't hear outrage about the 43 million uninsured Americans, the millions of children who live right on or underneath the poverty line. I haven't heard anything about the single women who are trying to raise children with fathers locked up in jail for something stupid like doing drugs. Maybe I miss out on listening to the outrage over businesses, corporations and wealthy merchants/property owners who screw over their consumers, customers and tenants, often with fatal or very painful consequences. Perhaps I was out of the pew when the preachers and moralizers were condemning domestic violence and the horrific toll it takes on women (some men too) and children.

To improve our society, we must challenge ourselves. We must hold ourselves to a higher bar. We must be aware of our problems and fix them. We must reach out to others in need and give them a hand up, not a hand out. We must inspire those younger and less knowing than us to do good works, to have faith and spread it by spreading love and justice.

Instead, we crusade against homosexuals and the desires of a few of them to get married. We spend millions to advertise, argue and appeal to citizen voters. We waste precious time to help others and instead condemn people we have a moral aversion to. We forget the teachings of the great men (and women) of the world, from Jesus Christ to George Washington to Martin Luther King, who preached love, justice and prosperity of the heart and soul, not to mention one's nation. Instead, we wage a culture war, and when we've vanquished the homosexuals, we will see a society no stronger and perhaps even weaker than it was before our foolish Rubicon moment (the gay marriage outcry).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    It is the abandonment of any notion of individual responsibility...This is the rot afflicting our nation. It is the failure to accept the responsibility for the consequences of one's actions that is eroding the foundation of this nation.

This is the only moral issue facing us as a society, all else is simply window dressing for those with an agenda which benefits nobody but themselves

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i think bully, once we get beyond politics, that is truly something nearly everyone on here would agree on

4. TheEnemyWithin

TheEnemyWithin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Note to Gays:

I don't know which church the topic starter goes to but I certainly agree with that sermon. Homosexuals DO rot out our society, and I've said it before and I'll say it again: GOD said that homosexuality is an abomination. Period. Is God a homophobe?! Yes He is. If you take a look around you, you'll find that only some psychopathic HUMANS are gay. There are no gay insects or birds or horses or rabbits are there? No, because male-female relationships are what GOD planned. Even freakin' MAGNETS attract opposite poles, while like poles repel each other. Same-sex stuff goes against nature itself. Homosexuality is UNNATURAL and spreads disease. Does my GOD stuff offend you?! The Truth is the truth whether you believe it or not. All gays can call me HOMOPHOBE and BIGOT until they drop dead and go to hell, but I don't mind one bit.

--- BIGOT AND PROUD OF IT.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    EVERY Protestant/Christian preacher must preach on said things...too many people are finding the practice of homoseuxality 'just fine!'.

:-/

Neccessary, but yeah...(shrug).

fwiw - Homosexuals are the epitome of a Me First mentality - "I wanna do what I wanna do no MATTER how it destorys lives! I wanna adopt a child no MATTER how jacked-up-in-the-head it will make the child!"

6. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I understand this point of view. Protestant/Christian teachings find problems with homosexuality. They should be encouraged to speak up.

I don't know. "Preserving the family blood line" isn't just as selfish? Possibly. Can you prove that heterosexuals are incapable of having frivolous sex? No?

I might be a little crazy myself, if (1)the marriage of my parents was considered to be illegal by the state. I might be driven a little crazier by (2)the drunken aunt admonishing my gay father for 'doing it in the butt with the messenger of satan'. And on top of having to deal with the fact that (3)I am adopted since my parents are gay, and (4) I may have come from an abusive and or broken home.

How do you come to the conclusion that the homosexuality of the parents and nothing else makes the child of a gay couple more likely to have mental problems than that of a straight couple?

7. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If God's a homophobe I'm an atheist and He can burn in hell. :wank: I've never said it before but I have to admit it has a nice ring to it.

Yes, the majority of psychopaths are homophobes :whip3:

Actually, primates engage in it. Were Adam and Eve monkeys?

:blah2:

Sexuality outside of marriage is UNHOLY and spreads disease.

well, I wasn't offended until...

"Sieg Heil!" :gay:

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    It's not about frivolous sex - it's about engaging in behaviour which is destrucitve to lives (higher disease, death, domestic violence rates, etc), but 'feels good' for them. it's about People putting their 'feelings' ahead of every other single aspect of their lives, and ahead of what's best for 'community'.

9. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What if you don't believe in God? What if you just believe in let and let live - in your own house? I know several gay people, and several bisexual people. Two of them, I would consider to be best friends, and they're hardly psychopathic. In fact, I know more psychopathic straight males than anything. Perhaps we should stop tagging/labeling them with a broad brush, and just focus on what is believed to be right/wrong according to each individual person, and then figure out *WHY*, and stop citing the bible as your arguing point, because I'll bet there's not a damn one of you that lives by every single thing the bible says.

JMO.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

There has been posted plenty of non-biblical reasons why Homosexuality is both naturally wrong, and destructive. :)