Who Is Your Favorite Fantasy Writer?

Who Is Your Favorite Fantasy Writer?

• Total voters
JRR Tolkein, RA Salvatore, and Laurell K Hamilton are probably my top three right now.

For me it's always about the ability to visualize the scene and characters who I actually care about. All three of those authors do an excellent job in their storytelling of helping me visualize their work and creating characters that I care about and want to see again and again.

I grew up in Harry Potter books so therefore my first choice is J K Rowling then Stephanie Meyer. Their books open us up to the other world that's why we get easily hooked up on it.

I'm pretty old school so Tolkien gets my vote. Stephen R. Donaldsons The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent the Unbeliever is amazingly well written. There were so many levels to it that I was quite enchanted by the series. I also am enjoying the Eric Flint 1632 series.

With two teenagers, I am seeing more and more of this stuff. However, when I was that age, I detested the genre. But now I am a roaring Harry Potter and Terry Pratchett fan.

Anyway, who do you like and why

I can't believe you left out Larry Niven.

di_fate_niven.png

dracotavern.jpg

n3586.jpg

People - Science Fiction is not Fantasy!

They are two distinct genres.

Currently, my favorite fantasy writer is Philip Pullman; I love "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Kerri Sharp,

The Black Lace Book Of Women's Sexual Fantasies (Black Lace Book Of Women Sexual Fantasies)

I don't really read fantasy books much (Unless you count some of Ann Rice's stuff) but one of my daughters loves them. For teens I think these two are her favorites.

Artemis fowl series-Eoin Colfer.

And

Anything by Angie Sage.

When it comes to fantasy author, first thing that comes to my mind is J.K Rowling since I'm a huge Harry Potter fan.

The kids got me reading Rifts, which is actually a roll playing game, but a great read. I have read most of Hunter Thompsons stuff, some Hemmingway.

By fantasy I guess you mean sci-fi and or fantasy, right?

It's been a while since I read that stuff and many of you mentioned authors whose works I once read a lot.

Nobody mentioned Phillip Jose Farmer, though.

So I just did.

No idea why there isn't an "other" category, but that's my choice. :) I'd go with Piers Anthony.

Lots of good choices. I have found some interesting new material.

New ones I recommend Kelly Armstrong.... But only for the really strong of stomach.
Jasper Fforde
SM Stirling

As for fans of Anne Rice... I have two words. Bite me.

That is humiliating. I just now noticed that I wrote it as AK rather than JK Rowling.

JK Rowling is the person who was supposed to be #4 on the list. m( )m

Forum List

Back