Who Is/Was the Greatest Race Horse of All Time ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Americans love horses. Especially folks of my generation (baby boomers). Maybe it's because we were raised on western TV shows and movies, both of which saturated their markets in the 50's and 60's. Whatever the reason, I can't help wondering how people who pay attention to horse racing,think about the top race horses in history.

Name your favorite who you think was the best ever. The # 1 horse. And tell us why.

Americans love horses. Especially folks of my generation (baby boomers). Maybe it's because we were raised on western TV shows and movies, both of which saturated their markets in the 50's and 60's. Whatever the reason, I can't help wondering how people who pay attention to horse racing,think about the top race horses in history.

Name your favorite who you think was the best ever. The # 1 horse. And tell us why.

I think this last triple crown winner, American Pharaoh gave us a good race all three times. Although I lost a few bucks playing exotics with him, that was the race for me.

Yo, American Pharoah, what a beast, the Preakness Race was the best, it being muddy, and usually a long shot will win, but American Pharoah smoked the field in all three, a nice specimen!!!

American Pharoah Triple Crown Winner !!! - All 3 Races Compilation
https://www.youtube.com/user/jnthnvayahoocom

"GTP"
"Beautiful Horse"
1ad7ca7102938fa22ab05844f91dcd7d_XL.jpg

American-Pharoah-a4-721-800x461.jpg

Too many great ones for different reasons to pick one. Man O' War won 20 if his 21 races, and is considered the horse with the most perfect conformation. He was perfectly built. Black Gold broke his leg, and went on to finish the race on 3 legs and a heart. The jockey simply could not not stop him. Sea Biscuit was the poor man's hope. A commoner that beat a king.
Secretariat was a thrill to watch. Pharoah too. They are magnificent.

I have to go with Secretariat. Winner of the 1973 Triple Crown and voted race horse of the year in 1972 and 1973. He gets my vote for greatest race horse of all time. Records he set in 1973 still stand today, and his mind-boggling 31 length victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes, is the probably the single most memorable event in horse racing history. People who were there, said watching it, actually took your breath away. If anyone has never seen this race, you ought to watch the video. It is 2:28 minutes of one the most incredible events in sports history.

Yo, the only way to tell which is best? They need to race at the same time, that way they would be in the same track conditions! You can look at the times at Belmont, and not much difference!

"GTP"
91i-uqtG5uL.jpg

Frankel - 11 wins out of 11.
This is one of the classics, level weights against the top milers in the world.

If he has recorded times faster than Secretariat in all the racing distance categories, then I would concede he is the greatest. As far as I know, it is Secretariat that has recorded the fastest times in EVERY category. His incredible win in the 1973 Belmont takes was no fluke. (shown in post # 10).

Frankel - 11 wins out of 11.
This is one of the classics, level weights against the top milers in the world.

If he has recorded times faster than Secretariat in all the racing distance categories, then I would concede he is the greatest. As far as I know, it is Secretariat that has recorded the fastest times in EVERY category. His incredible win in the 1973 Belmont takes was no fluke. (shown in post # 10).

Sounds like a special horse.
We dont really pay much attention to times over here. The tracks are all different so a mile at Ascot is very different to a mile at Epsom. there is also the question of the going as well, a drop of rain can make a huge difference.
I think that American horses race on dirt which,I might be wrong, gives a standard surface.

Secretariat was a beauty. Raised on a farm outside Richmond, VA. I can't remember the name of the farm now, but I think it's now the location for the Virginia State Fairgrounds and the main attraction now at the old fairground location is NASCAR - Richmond International Raceway. I believe Secretariat was the sire of Riva Ridge.

Secretariat was a beauty. Raised on a farm outside Richmond, VA. I can't remember the name of the farm now, but I think it's now the location for the Virginia State Fairgrounds and the main attraction now at the old fairground location is NASCAR - Richmond International Raceway. I believe Secretariat was the sire of Riva Ridge.
I've never really had an interest in auto racing. Seeing a majestic animal like Secretariat do what none before him and none after him could ever do, with the body that came from God (as opposed to some auto factory), is about incomparable. Secretariat's 1973 Belmont Stakes amazing performance is unforgettable, so far, after almost half a century, unmatchable by any race horse in the world.

Forum List

Back