who is Dean?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fasttalker1, Dec 9, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Can you please elaborate? How has he been a "complete failure"?

2. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You know I get so sick of people saying the election was stolen, it was a decision by the Supreme Court, we have to honor their decision, move on, and stop whining. By this reasoning to imply that the election was stolen is to imply that abortion is still illegal, you can't have it both ways and honor only the decisions that suit your purpose.

Kathianne, I know this is not what you were implying, I just used your quote. :)

3. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll vote for Sharpton, at least he "can" be intelligent sometimes. In my opinion, it really is just choosing between the lesser of two evils.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    quoted by Palestinian Jew

Do as you wish, at some point though the democrats are going to have to give up on the 'intelligence' screed as over and over again they underestimate Bush's ability to do as he says he'll do.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Couldn't pass this up: http://www.ajc.com/today/content/epaper/editions/today/opinion_f39e64a8422f60171020.html

Some resolutions for Bush fans, foes
    James Lileks - Newhouse News Service
    Wednesday, December 24, 2003

It's going to be a long 2004 for the George W. Bush haters. To help them along in the months to come, we present New Year's resolutions for avid Bush detesters, and a few for his fans as well. Start with the foes:

I resolve to examine at least one of the president's statements, acts, gestures or facial expressions without first insisting it proves that the man is a stupid chimp evil liar plastic-turkey-holding DRAFT DODGER MY GOD CAN'T YOU PEOPLE SEE HIM FOR WHAT HE IS?

I resolve to consider that not everything Bush says is a lie. Example: If Bush says that ''two plus two equals four,'' I will not spit, ''Oh, that's Enron math,'' and spend the rest of the day rebalancing my checkbook in Base Eight.

I resolve to grasp the absurdity of appearing on national talk shows to insist that our freedom of speech has disappeared.

I resolve to be more precise in my language. When I am tempted to criticize the administration for being ''pre-emptive,'' I will recall that arresting all the hijackers on Sept. 10, 2001, would have been, well, pre-emptive, and that I might well have protested this indefensible act of ''profiling.''

I resolve to let at least a minute pass before I accuse the administration of contemptuous high-handedness toward our allies. By which I mean France. I resolve to ask myself whether my attachment to French approval is analogous to a high school chess geek mooning after the lovely but haughty cheerleader who regards everyone with bemused contempt. She winked once. That was weeks ago. Was it all a tease?

I resolve to accept the election returns, and not spend my precious mortal allotment in the humid chambers of the Internet message boards, insisting that BushCo obviously stole the election in 46 states. Perhaps Howard Dean will lose because he suggested that the governor of a toy-sized state knew more about the military and foreign policy than a man whose policies toppled the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Baathists of Iraq, and brought Libya to heel.

Meanwhile, I resolve to admit I'd be delighted to impeach Bush for lying to a grand jury. Even about sex. Especially about sex.

Now, for Bush fans:

Whenever I believe that the president always and only acts from high-minded principle, I resolve to say the words ''steel tariffs'' and ''campaign finance reform bill'' in a soft, regretful voice. I resolve to recall the new prescription drug benefit, which sounds nice now but is an entitlement that will grow until it mandates government-funded Pepto-Bismol on tap in every house. And I really, truly resolve not to wish the whole ''nukyular'' pronunciation thing didn't dismay me at the molekyular level.

I resolve not to worry that things will go so well that people feel comfortable voting for a Hillary-Clark ticket in '08. What if they recycle the '92 mantras, and cosset a quiescent public with the empty promise of ''change'' for the mere sake of change? Will we turn over our security to the same crew of internationalists and appeasers? No!

Resolved: We jump off that bridge when we come to it.

Finally: I resolve not to gloat. This bitter partisanship is destructive to our nation. No gloating in November.

Resolved: Save the gloating for Inauguration Week!

James Lileks writes for Newhouse News Service.

6. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Okay, okay but first I have to post a link to this blog on Ted Rall:D
    aclu, who is the lesser of two evils?
    His 'Why We Fight' made me stop reading the NYT, but they have dropped his editorials so I think as a resolution I will start reading that paper again.

7. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'd probably vote for the Green Party candidate if it's Bush vs. Sharpton :D

Bush's failures:

- massive loss of jobs

- had a chance to try and prevent 9/11 attacks, did nothing

- alienated many of our allies

- budget deficits and national debt spiralling out of control

- still can't say the word "nuclear" properly

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

8. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I might actually consider voting Green or Libertarian, if the democratic party would just up and die. :p:

-Prove the economy isn't improving, that I didn't just get a job in my profession of choice, that bush had anything to do with the sudden slump after 9'11. Prove Al Gore invented the internet.

-Prove Clinton didn't have ample chance to do something about terrorism.

-Poland, UK, Italy, Spain, Japan, Australia what are you talking about? They never left. You don't actually believe France EVER had any alliance to the US, do you?

-It's a two way street.

-Still doesn't think oral sex is a secshuyal relationship if it ends up on the dress. "I did not inhale.":laugh:

Okay, but really, happy new year and to you and yours aclu :)

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  10. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    qoute:
    "The governor needs to receive advice from time to time in closed session. As every person in government knows, sometimes you get more open discussion when it's not public," Dean was quoted as saying.

Dean's own dispute over the secrecy of a Vermont task force that devised a policy for restructuring the state's near-bankrupt electric utilities has escaped national attention, even though he has attacked a similar arrangement used by President Bush