Zone1 Who is actually offended by "cultural appropriation?"

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

I doubt that many of the people that white Democrats try to "protect form cultural appropriation," really care about that issue much. I'm guessing that if a Japanese-American girl sees a European American girl wear a Japanese dress to the prom she would more lean toward "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," than to "I'm soooooo offended."

Then again, that is an Asian-American who, like the children of immigrants before them, do not dwell on such minor slights even if they perceive them as such, because they are too busy trying to get ahead in the land of opportunity that their parents brought them to.

Not so sure about that

1697381233832.jpeg

White actors played Asian roles for decades

Charley Chan was white
John Wayne played Genghis Khan
Anna May Wong was denied Chinese roles that went to white actresses
Yul Brenner won an Oscar playing the King of Siam
Asian parents wanted their kids to grow up to be Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, etc. Not actors.

But, you have a point. Democrats have always been bad about getting up in ____________ face. Blackface, Asianface, Native Americanface, and now Womanface.

Maybe that's the real problem here, now that you mention it. It's not White people wearing braids, it's Democrats deliberately mocking other races. The Democrat accusations of "appropriation" are then a smoke screen to cover that. Yes, I think you're right, if that was your point.

Well done!

White actors played Asian roles for decades

Charley Chan was white
John Wayne played Genghis Khan
Anna May Wong was denied Chinese roles that went to white actresses
Yul Brenner won an Oscar playing the King of Siam

I would have much rather seen authentic actors for those roles too, but movie producers were just trying to get larger box office returns and wanted to go with existing stars for those leading roles. Just playing it safe. It seems pretty ridiculous looking back at it now.

Yul was such a good actor though, and had such a unique look he made most of those roles look pretty natural. He could have played almost anything and most people probably wouldnt mind much.

Asian parents wanted their kids to grow up to be Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, etc. Not actors.

But, you have a point. Democrats have always been bad about getting up in ____________ face. Blackface, Asianface, Native Americanface, and now Womanface.

Maybe that's the real problem here, now that you mention it. It's not White people wearing braids, it's Democrats deliberately mocking other races. The Democrat accusations of "appropriation" are then a smoke screen to cover that. Yes, I think you're right, if that was your point.

Well done!
Nice diversion but John Wayne, Mickey Rooney and Yul Bryner were Republicans

Forum List

Back