Who had the better idea?

I would say that each of them had there merits for different situations and classes of Black people.Just like with white people;Black people have different "classes". You have your "working class" type and your "white collar" type and anything in between. Mr. Washington's "nose to the grindstone", manual labor and trade idea is and was a very good one. He was a sort of an "accommodationist" and as stated in this thread, he has left a great legacy. Mr. Duboise' idea of the "talented tenth" and fighting for your rights also has it's place. He was part of the group that founded the NAACP, whether some people like or dislike the NAACP, they were responsible for making legal challenges toward things that made Black people less than second class citizens in this country.

You can tell who the blacks like the most. Since their last name was adopted by many blacks, and that name that was most popular was,Washington

You can tell who the blacks like the most. Since their last name was adopted by many blacks, and that name that was most popular was,Washington

Tal to anyone from the NAACP they will tell you that they prefer Dubois. Take an African American History course in college and Dubois gets five times as much time as Washington. As for the rest of the black population, I can not tell you.

Washington's approach strikes me - objectively - as more practical, but I suppose it would be unrealistic not to expect Du Bois' take to find many eager ears, especially in a country founded on the ideals and principles that ours was.

What ideals and principles might those be?

Freedom, liberty, equal protection under the law, self-determination. You should try to learn something about US History. It's quite interesting.

I'm afraid your assumptions are derived from facts not in evidence. I'm talking about your assessment of me of course. Indeed, if only you knew the error of your ways you would feel quite sheepish of your statement on American history and my knowledge of it. But that would certainly be getting to close to my personal life.

My question was not bred from a misunderstanding of history, but, your interpretation of it. I did not know whether you were lamenting or simply observing. That's why I asked for clarification.

Last edited:
Indeed, if only you knew the error of your ways you would feel quite sheepish of your statement on American history and my knowledge of it. .

Then go ahead and tell us all about it. You know you're just dying to. Or maybe you're full of shit and are as ignorant as your comments here suggest.

Both men were correct. You need to be practical and have some way to support yourself while simultaneously expanding and enriching your understanding of more cerebral matters. If one simply followed Washington's approach we would only be laborers with little upward mobility. If one followed only Duboise we would be knowledgeable but limited in being able to apply it practically. It takes both approaches to become successful.

Forum List

Back