Who else is smoking meat?

What are the safe woods you use for smoking the meat?

I hear that Pine is dangerous, because the smoke is toxic to the food?

Hardwoods only, no softwoods ever. From what I've been watching on You Tube Apple wood is mild, Mesquite is the strongest and all the rest (Hickory, Cherry, Oak, etc) range in between. Many people mix different hardwoods to blend flavors.

Damn. High winds today with high fire danger, going to have to oven BBQ the roast.......
That's okay, I need to make some recommended modifications to the grill, mostly make it more "air tight".

Well, my meat USED to smoke when I was a much younger man. My girlfriends and I (Just one at a time, unfortunately.) would get going SO hot and furious, it DID smell like SOMETHING was smoking! Oh wait, I'm thinking of the wrong kind of meat, the "other white meat", so to speak. My bad!
What kind of rub do you use?

Make corned beef from brisket. Morton quick and tender, picking spice, 2 weeks, Best ever.
I ain't smoking no brisket, ever!

Some old tough cut off the toughest bull at the rodeo..nope! :no_text11:

No not smoked. Put it in a large ziplock, pickling spice and Morton Quick and tender. Sit in fridge 1 week, turn over. Can't buy corned beef that good. Can't find brisket either!

I just bought a Traeger Ironwood 885. Im shocked by how easy it is to use and how effective it is. I made pulled pork with an 8 pound bone in pork shoulder. I had never smoked anything in my life, yet that pulled pork was as good or better than anything ive ever eaten at any legit BBQ joint. The next day i made babyback ribs which turned out absolutely perfect. They may have been the best ribs ive ever had.

Who else is smoking around here? What smoker do you have? Do you have any good recipes?

Here is a pic of my brand new smoker...

ironwood-885-woman-grilling.jpg
I'm a cheap bastard....... I just assembled a Royal Gourmet offset smoker yesterday, the wife wanted me to start grilling again. Never used one so I'm watching a lot of You Tube videos, gonna have to try the poor man's brisket.

c5f39a984d9add2647a44cb6061f212f.w2002.h2002._CR0%2C0%2C2002%2C2002_SX750_SY750_.jpg

With that smoker being so thin walled you should really toss in some fire brick to help maintain temp.
Lay em in the bottom of the smoking chamber and the firebox if you can fit them there.
Dont get the light bricks as they dont retain heat.
The right ones will be heavy.

1589308952537.png

Finally pre-fired the smoker/grill a few days ago and grilled cheeseburgers for dinner earlier today. I forgot how good grilled meat was....... Looking to smoke a pork loin maybe tomorrow definitely by Monday, it has to thaw then I have to brine it.

Finally pre-fired the smoker/grill a few days ago and grilled cheeseburgers for dinner earlier today. I forgot how good grilled meat was....... Looking to smoke a pork loin maybe tomorrow definitely by Monday, it has to thaw then I have to brine it.

Do you have anything like this?
It sure makes it easier to turn out a moist pork loin.
1590286123345.png

If not at least get one one of these.
1590286263795.png

And of course the fire bricks to keep things steady.

Do you have anything like this?
It sure makes it easier to turn out a moist pork loin.
View attachment 340164
If not at least get one one of these.
View attachment 340167
And of course the fire bricks to keep things steady.
Nope, I have the old fashioned (non-digital) one but I was looking at this one for $19.

ThermoPro-TP16-Digital-BBQ-Meat-Thermometer-Grill-Oven-Thermomet-With-Timer-Stainless-Steel-Probe-Cooking-Kitchen.jpg

BTW, when we bought the house it had an old 70s, ugly as sin wood stove we got rid of. It was sitting on top of fire brick...... Guess where they are now...... :D

Is this OK ? I don't buy. I build......and grow...

View attachment 332001View attachment 332003

I could easily build whatever type or size smoker out there.
The question is do I want to spend the time.
I used to get people telling me all the time...You're a Machinist why didnt you just make one?
Simple answer....I can work for a week and pay for it or I can work on it during all my free time for two months.
I use my skills to modify products that are already in existence.
It's cheaper and a lot more fun trying to show you know better than the manufacturer.

Learned that lesson myself. With many quality manufacturers out her now no sense in building your own unless you just want to. We used to do ours in pits, but I long ago got too old for that, built a couple I didn't like and finally bought a large one on a trailer for big gatherings and a small one for our own use. The large one gets borrowed almost every weekend by the neighbors, the rental fee being they smoke me some beef while doing their own smoking. Haven't had to fire up the small one in over a year now. Only thing I miss about the pits is doing an entire pig skin in the ground. I'm not much on pork but smoked cracklin is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Its a pellet grill, and i buy Traeger pellets every time. Im a big fan of pecan at the moment.

Its a pellet grill, and i buy Traeger pellets every time. Im a big fan of pecan at the moment.

Thats really my only beef when it comes to pellet poopers.
For the most part you cant tell the difference between pecan and oak when compared to using splits.

....oh,and the clean up Sucks!!!

I found the most useful thing about em is it's damn near impossible to fuk up a chunk of meat unless it's caused by human error.
It's damn nice to put a brisket on Saturday and pretty much forget about it until after the game on Sunday.

For the most part you cant tell the difference between pecan and oak when compared to using splits.

I found the most useful thing about em is it's damn near impossible to fuk up a chunk of meat unless it's caused by human error.
It's damn nice to put a brisket on Saturday and pretty much forget about it until after the game on Sunday.
The clean up is super easy. There are barely any ashes to vaccuum out. Takes me 5 minutes to get it done.

The clean up is super easy. There are barely any ashes to vaccuum out. Takes me 5 minutes to get it done.

Oh I dont mind the ashes.
It's the grease drippings that I hate. I need to be a bit more liberal,that just made me feel a little nauseous,with the aluminium foil use. That make it much easier to clean.

The reverse flow Lang is an absolute breeze and can be done in less time than your meat needs to rest.
92459B4F-9163-44E0-8969-B0CCCB4FD8EF.jpeg

When you pull off the meat you toss in a couple splits and open the vents wide open and let it get good and hot.
When it does you open the smoking chamber and hose everything down and close the lid,do this several times and she's clean as a whistle.
Open the drain into a bucket and flush it down the shitter.
Then of course I've got a small shopvac for the fire box.

Not sure you know what a reverse flow pit is but you'll notice the chimney is on the wrong end.
The smoke runs under a plate from the firebox and then reverses course and goes over the the meat and out the chimney. Hot spots are almost completely eliminated and the fat drips onto the 1/4' thick steel plate adding a shit ton of flavor.
1590353219191.png

Forum List

Back