who do you help?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by spectrumc01, Apr 8, 2011.

?

who do you help first?

1. The poor here in the US

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. The poor in other countries

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I give to charities and let them decide

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    How many believe we have a responsibility to the poor? and does your opinion match your religious views? Who would you help first a poor person in another country or a poor person in the US? why?

2. R.D.

R.D. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,375
    All three

I cook for the local church who feeds the local poor.

I donate and work for a few of my favorite charities

I donate to disaster funds after vetted

3. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
    For me, these verses about giving to the poor stick out the most (for me). It's about our hearts. It's about serving the Lord. It's about helping them. (Without wanted to be "seen" by others for their approval).

As for who is first, well I believe if we pray, the Lord will guide us to where He'd like us to help.

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I donate to the orphanage $
    The schools (computer stuff)
    My employees can have whatever they need out of my gardens and ponds for free.
    An organization I'm involved with planted 13,000 trees last year and are geared up to plant 35,000 this year.
    I donate to Rainforest Action Network and the Children's Eternal Rainforest.
    I'm part "red savage" so I guess it goes with my "religion".

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    BTW. If we plant enough trees the Brown Dwarf won't have anywhere to land his UFO.:eek::tongue:

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I donate my time to helping the homeless locally.

I do fundraising for a variety of charities... Cancer Research and one local charity are the ones I usually fundraise for.

I donate money to US, UK and overseas charities. I give on an ad hoc basis to any disaster relief funds needed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I think we probably have a responsibility to the poor so long as they make some kind of effort to help themselves. When they truly believe that everybody "owes" them and they should be comforted in all possible ways ... then the responsibility ends.

I find it rather disturbing that we scream and shout (particularly the celebrity crowd) about aiding those in Dafar, Somalia, India, and other places while they ignore those in this country who face the same problems. Do these people do anything to help themselves? Do food supplies, medical care and other aid reach their intended destination or are they hoarded and/or destroyed by the warlords? Do these "celebrities" unselfishly give up their riches or do they depend on others to donate to all their "causes?" Do they go into orphanages or foster care and/or adoption agencies in America to adopt a needy child? No? Why not?

But yet we adore them, they are our idols and we hang on their every word, their self indulgence, their escapades into debauchery ... we constantly feed this enormous industry ridiculous amounts of money to view and revel in their "entertainment" and "talent." But we loath "big corporations" and corporate greed - never mind that those big corporations and their employees give generously to various charities year after year.

Do we have a responsibility to those less fortunate than we are? Not if they take on no responsibility for themselves and their potential to be productive members of society.

8. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    None of the above. I assist INDIVIDUALS and FAMILIES that I know personally who need help. I only give to those who I believe deserve to be helped. Nobody else.

9. LumpyPostage

LumpyPostage [blank]

Thanks Received:
    A closed list proportionally represented parliamen
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm more likely to help poor people in other countries.

10. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I dont do much because I dont have much. But if Im in the market for food or the rexall to get meds or someone seems to be in need....I give what I can.
    Charity isnt just money, either. I donate rides to those stuck in the rain at bus stops and missed the bus. I take older neighbors who need to go to the doctor. If I have enough, I donate to the local animal shelter to pay for adoption fees or a spay or neuter for animals that cant be adopted until its done. I also donate old blankets to the pound.
    I have found 3 alzheimers people in the 20 years Ive lived here...wandering around looking confused...and took them to the sheriffs department becuase they didnt know where they lived.

In short..I do what I can, when I can. I do my best when possible. And I dont count myself particularly religious with any particular organization. It comes from the heart, not what some book says to do or what some slick willy says standing at a podium.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011