Who deserves the most credit fro Christianity?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Would think the obvious, Jesus. But Jesus didn't write anything. Or at least, nothing we know of (having gone to school as a child presumedly he would have written things.) Plus, because Jesus was Jewish and a rabbi (teacher,) and Christianity as defined by the existence of a Bible didn't exist until decades and centuries after his death, who deserves the credit for creating Christianity?

You spelled "blame" wrong.

I'm torn between Saul/Paul the Wacko, and Constantine the Powerhungry.

But who deserves the blame for it continuing to exist?

Sheeeeesh...you seem to accept every thing:FIREdevil: under the sun ( as far as beliefs go) with just a phrase of "its good" or" cause no harm" Darth Vader is also acceptable lol
Then you go out of your way to discredit and mock anything and everything about Christians & Christianity itself .
You might of said a couple bad things about Islam,,,,but that's only because they decapitate people...kind of hard to let that one go and not get called on it.

The claimed evil lady that wrote Q used to help form the NT.
Apollonius of Tyana who had a vast library of all cultures and religions and who was used for the character called Paul. And Constantine who also had a library and inkling for converging all religions, with maybe Eusebius (the great liar) to help forge stories and reinvent history.

Emperor Constantine and the Council of Nicea.

Would think the obvious, Jesus. But Jesus didn't write anything. Or at least, nothing we know of (having gone to school as a child presumedly he would have written things.) Plus, because Jesus was Jewish and a rabbi (teacher,) and Christianity as defined by the existence of a Bible didn't exist until decades and centuries after his death, who deserves the credit for creating Christianity?
Perhaps Jesus was illiterate?

You spelled "blame" wrong.

I'm torn between Saul/Paul the Wacko, and Constantine the Powerhungry.

But who deserves the blame for it continuing to exist?

I actually thought about "credit (or blame?") but thought it was prejudicial :)

Nah, why would a religion spring into being because of an illiterate guy...? (wink wink) :)

Nah, why would a religion spring into being because of an illiterate guy...? (wink wink) :)

Also, was it not claimed that Jesus taught in the temple at a young age?

This accounting would not only suggest that Jesus was literate, but even advanced in theology and philosophy.

It is strange that he does not leave a written account. Even stranger that he leaves his message in the hands of questionable individuals.

It is as if he wanted his message, his ideas and philosophy, corrupted.

Of course, this is an opinion involving lots of conjecture. Please do not ask me to defend a weak argument!

You really should study the bible more. You wouldn't say as many ignorant things

This accounting would not only suggest that Jesus was literate, but even advanced in theology and philosophy.

It is strange that he does not leave a written account. Even stranger that he leaves his message in the hands of questionable individuals.

Of course, this is an opinion involving lots of conjecture. Please do not ask me to defend a weak argument!

Considering he began his mortal ministry by reading from a passage in Isaiah, it's fairly safe to say He is literate.

As for why He entrusted His message to the men He did, it's traveled throughout the world for the last 2000 years. Seems to me He made a good choice.

Depends.

There was no single disciple or 'saint' that is responsible for the spread of Christianity, and there is little information of who back then that was most followed, so not sure that you could really find an answer. Paul and Simon/Peter possibly are the most influential.

Considering he began his mortal ministry by reading from a passage in Isaiah, it's fairly safe to say He is literate.

As for why He entrusted His message to the men He did, it's traveled throughout the world for the last 2000 years. Seems to me He made a good choice.

...Read the illiterate thing as an allusion to Mohammed :) Supposedly he was illiterate.

constantine

...Read the illiterate thing as an allusion to Mohammed :) Supposedly he was illiterate.

so was jesus probably

so was jesus probably

Haven't read anything suggesting he was. Quite the contrary in fact.

Paul
and Simon/Peter possibly are the most
influential.
Paul And Peter were just as much converged characters as Jesus was made of many. That is why they all have changed names as converged characters need new names and birthdates. Like I said it was Apollonias called Pol who was used mostly for the Paul accts. He was from Tyana but lived in Tarsus.

Christianity was/is a grass roots phenomenon. It also appears that was Christ's own vision of how it should take place. Jesus spent a lot of time traveling and speaking to those who were illiterate, stating that the coming Kingdom could be compared to a a woman kneading yeast into dough. The bit of yeast would grow until it permeated all it touched. The same theme is seen in the parable of the sower and the seed--where the fruit of fertile seed increases more than a thousand fold.

What happens when some (the greedy) see power unfolding? They want to harness it (or at least some of it) for themselves and their own purposes. I am not sure that Constantine was necessarily one of the entirely greedy ones--more that he saw that it might take less energy to work with a growing tide rather than fight against it.

Christ deserves (and receives) the credit for creating Christianity. Who can be accused of using it for their own selfish purposes? Who can be credited for keeping it in align with Christ's teachings about repentance and living in accord with the will of the Father?

Christ was the sower; others watered (with both spoken and written words); others carried the seed to new places; others reaped. The harvest naturally attracted thieves.

Christianity was/is a grass roots phenomenon. It also appears that was Christ's own vision of how it should take place. Jesus spent a lot of time traveling and speaking to those who were illiterate, stating that the coming Kingdom could be compared to a a woman kneading yeast into dough. The bit of yeast would grow until it permeated all it touched. The same theme is seen in the parable of the sower and the seed--where the fruit of fertile seed increases more than a thousand fold.

What happens when some (the greedy) see power unfolding? They want to harness it (or at least some of it) for themselves and their own purposes. I am not sure that Constantine was necessarily one of the entirely greedy ones--more that he saw that it might take less energy to work with a growing tide rather than fight against it.

Christ deserves (and receives) the credit for creating Christianity. Who can be accused of using it for their own selfish purposes? Who can be credited for keeping it in align with Christ's teachings about repentance and living in accord with the will of the Father?

Christ was the sower; others watered (with both spoken and written words); others carried the seed to new places; others reaped. The harvest naturally attracted thieves.

Jesus didn't write the gospels. Everything he taught was Judaism. To Jews. Some of whom then started a non-Judaism religion.

Again you have asked a question that doesn't have a very simple answer. If I was forced to pick one person to pile it upon I would say Paul since Christianity as it is practiced today is far more Pauline in nature than anything else. However you asked who "created" Christianity and that's a different question than "who bears the most responsibility for Christian doctrine?" I suppose if you use the definition of a Christian as, in part, one who believes in the resurrection of Jesus, then the person who first believed in it would by definition be the first Christian and therefore an argument could be made that they "created" the religion. Exactly who that person was differs across the gospels but Mary Magdalene is generally credited as the first or at least part of a group that was the first to believe. Thus, one could argue that Magdalene created Christianity.

Constantine and Theodosius I certainly deserve some credit for helping to define Christianity from the numerous sects and interpretations about Jesus that existed prior to the 4th century CE. Christian thought really streamlined from a confused mass of disagreement into a much narrower definition and a doctrine that was far more organized. Therefore, one could also argue that they bear the responsibility because the only reason why Paul's view won out over the rest is because they happened to endorse his particular view. There are plenty of arguments to the contrary though.

I suppose one could even argue that Martin Luther and/or Henry VIII would bear the responsibility since they were central figures in the Protestant Reformation that marked a major turning point in how Christianity is practiced in the modern world. I think it would be a stretch to make that argument but I suppose it could be made.

As usual there is no simple answer to your question. ;)

Forum List

Back