Who are the Israelis?

RE: Who are the Israelis?
āœā†’ Shusha, et al,

A fundamental Human Right is exactly that, a human construct. Made by man to satisfy a belief that man seems to think is essential.

But a fundamental "anything" is not everlasting and in all probability, was not true a thousand years ago, and probably will not be true a thousand years from now. But for the time being, it is recorded as international law, the right is established as:

Article 18 ā€¢ International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR) ā€¢

1. Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion. This right shall include freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his choice, and freedom, either individually or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in worship, observance, practice, and teaching.

2. No one shall be subject to coercion which would impair his freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his choice.

3. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs may be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary to protect public safety, order, health, or morals or the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.

4. The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to have respect for the liberty of parents and, when applicable, legal guardians to ensure the religious and moral education of their children in conformity with their own convictions.

I believe you when you say you agree with me respect to the freedom to practice religion. But, given that you agree that the right to practice region is a fundamental human right protected by international law, I wonder why you would post an article which posits that as "political". Or "extreme".
(COMMENT)

Fundamental Human Rights (AKA inalienable rights - permanent and essential) are generally defined as rights to which a person is inherently entitled simply by being a human.

But the international law that protects the right of religious belief is the same law that prohibits propaganda for war and the advocacy or incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence (Article 20 CCPR). Yet quite frequently we hear "political violence" and "incentivize terrorism" expressed quite frequently by influential leaders.

Examples:

ā€¢ Palestinian Cleric Nasser Maarouf: A Martyr Killed by Jews Receives a Double Reward; Jihad must be Continued, Abandoning It Causes Discord

ā€¢ Former Hamas politburo chief Khaled Meshaal has called on the citizens of the Palestinian Authority to join those of Gaza in ramping up violence into a full-blown guerrilla war against Israel.

ā€¢ Senior PLO official: Killing Israelis is not ā€œterrorā€; itā€™s not ā€œcriminalā€- itā€™s ā€œlegitimateā€

Article 20 ā€¢ International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR) ā€¢

1. Any propaganda for war shall be prohibited by law.

2. Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.

Inherent rights, Religious Freedoms, and the hundreds of other rights are just words and ideas that have been selectively considered as having some importance. It does not mean that "IN REALITY" they actually have some meaning. They are only meaningful in a philosophical way.

Most Respectfully,
R

Israels political trend towards the extreme right is nothing new to anyone who reads the news, here is a more complete article.

Politics in Israel is increasingly nationalist

I'm going to have to ask you for clarification on that one. MOST of that article is centered around the right of people to access and worship at their own holy sites. That is a basic, fundamental human right entrenched in international law, not to mention relevant treaties. Are you claiming that the right to pray at holy places is political extremism?!?!?!
No I am not. In fact that is one of the areas I agree with you on.

Unfortunately I have exceeded the quota for the Economist so I canā€™t read and excerpt from the article but here are some more:

Israel's New Friends in Right-Wing Places
Religion And Politics In Israel
Part 2: Shifts in Israel that Could Influence the Westā€™s Approach to Israel and the Jewish People

I don't have time to read those articles tonight. Busy day of stupid errands and realities tomorrow but will try to look at them when I can.

My concern is that we are re-defining common terms and understandings for Jews. Because... Jews. Simple things like praying at our holy sites (something Muslims are not condemned for) become "political extremism". Or "exerting (implied not earned) sovereignty".

Being able to worship as we desire at our holy sites should not be questioned, yes? It's a fundamental right.

I believe you when you say you agree with me respect to the freedom to practice religion. But, given that you agree that the right to practice region is a fundamental human right protected by international law, I wonder why you would post an article which posits that as "political". Or "extreme".

I posted it more because of what it said further down, which I can now access, paywalls are so annoying:

Print edition | Special report

• Weaponising prayer
    To understand the danger of politicised piety, consider Hebron, Jerusalemā€™s ā€œolder sisterā€ and site of the Cave of the Patriarchs (which Muslims call the Ibrahimi Mosque), where the Bible says Abraham bought a burial-place for his family. Both the Kotel and the Hebron site feature massive stone blocks from the time of Herod the Great. After the war of 1967 Jews gained the right to pray in the cave complex for the first time in 700 years. They also moved into buildings nearby to restore a Jewish community that had been massacred and evicted in 1929. Where Jewish settlers go, the Israeli state usually follows. The friction in Hebron has caused much bloodshed on all sides. After a massacre of Muslim worshippers in the Cave of the Patriarchs by a settler in 1994, Israeli authorities partitioned the site, and later the city.

It was in Hebron in March 2016 that an army medic, Sergeant Elor Azaria, killed a Palestinian lying on the ground, even though he had already been wounded and incapacitated after trying to stab Israeli soldiers. Mr Azaria shot the man not in the heat of the moment but 11 minutes after the stabbingā€”and was caught on video. The armyā€™s high command demanded exemplary punishment, but populist politicians agitated for an acquittal or, once the soldier was convicted of manslaughter, a pardon. Strikingly, the prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, took the side of the pardon-seekers.

The Azaria affair says much about the chauvinism that suffuses Israeli public life. Politics is no longer a contest of right against left but of right against far right. Israel has become more ethno-nationalist and less universalist; more Jewish and less Israeli. Mr Netanyahu, once regarded as a demagogue, often looks like a moderate next to many of his cabinet members.

Right-wingers have sought to marginalise Arab parties in the Knesset and hamper leftists and liberals. The Knesset is pushing laws on everything from reducing the volume of Muslim calls to prayer to forcing the disclosure of money given by foreign governments to NGOs (which often support human rights and other liberal causes) and giving immigration authorities greater power to ban BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel) activists from entering Israel. The government has inveighed against what it calls the ā€œactivistā€ Supreme Court (which it deems too liberal) and against the media.

Outside parliament, things can turn uglier still. The ultras of the Beitar Jerusalem football club, La Familia, sing racist chants and are frequently involved in violence, not least when they pour out of matches to look for Arabs to beat up. The team has never had an Arab player. ā€œI am a racist,ā€ says one member. ā€œThatā€™s what La Familia means: the Jewish family.ā€ A related group, Lehava, campaigns rowdily against miscegenation. All this might be dismissed as fringe activity, except that Beitar Jerusalem is much beloved of Likud ministers, and the government gives money to groups close to Lehava that seek to ā€œsaveā€ Jewish women from Muslims. It has also objected to a book featuring love between Arabs and Jews.

Ehud Barak, a former Labour prime minister, talks of ā€œbudding fascismā€. Older Likud members, from Moshe Arens, a former defence minister, to President Reuven Rivlin, and even some of the settlersā€™ father figures, find the crass racism disturbing, but these days they are sidelined. ā€œLikud was hawkish, but was liberal and democratic. It has been transformed,ā€ says Moshe Halbertal, a professor of Jewish philosophy at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. ā€œFor ultranationalists, the enemy is withinā€”NGOs, the minorities, the courts.ā€

Israels political trend towards the extreme right is nothing new to anyone who reads the news, here is a more complete article.

Politics in Israel is increasingly nationalist

I'm going to have to ask you for clarification on that one. MOST of that article is centered around the right of people to access and worship at their own holy sites. That is a basic, fundamental human right entrenched in international law, not to mention relevant treaties. Are you claiming that the right to pray at holy places is political extremism?!?!?!
No I am not. In fact that is one of the areas I agree with you on.

Unfortunately I have exceeded the quota for the Economist so I canā€™t read and excerpt from the article but here are some more:

Israel's New Friends in Right-Wing Places
Religion And Politics In Israel
Part 2: Shifts in Israel that Could Influence the Westā€™s Approach to Israel and the Jewish People

I don't have time to read those articles tonight. Busy day of stupid errands and realities tomorrow but will try to look at them when I can.

My concern is that we are re-defining common terms and understandings for Jews. Because... Jews. Simple things like praying at our holy sites (something Muslims are not condemned for) become "political extremism". Or "exerting (implied not earned) sovereignty".

Being able to worship as we desire at our holy sites should not be questioned, yes? It's a fundamental right.

I posted it more because of what it said further down, which I can now access, paywalls are so annoying:

Print edition | Special report

• Weaponising prayer
    To understand the danger of politicised piety, consider Hebron, Jerusalemā€™s ā€œolder sisterā€ and site of the Cave of the Patriarchs (which Muslims call the Ibrahimi Mosque), where the Bible says Abraham bought a burial-place for his family. Both the Kotel and the Hebron site feature massive stone blocks from the time of Herod the Great. After the war of 1967 Jews gained the right to pray in the cave complex for the first time in 700 years. They also moved into buildings nearby to restore a Jewish community that had been massacred and evicted in 1929. Where Jewish settlers go, the Israeli state usually follows. The friction in Hebron has caused much bloodshed on all sides. After a massacre of Muslim worshippers in the Cave of the Patriarchs by a settler in 1994, Israeli authorities partitioned the site, and later the city.

It was in Hebron in March 2016 that an army medic, Sergeant Elor Azaria, killed a Palestinian lying on the ground, even though he had already been wounded and incapacitated after trying to stab Israeli soldiers. Mr Azaria shot the man not in the heat of the moment but 11 minutes after the stabbingā€”and was caught on video. The armyā€™s high command demanded exemplary punishment, but populist politicians agitated for an acquittal or, once the soldier was convicted of manslaughter, a pardon. Strikingly, the prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, took the side of the pardon-seekers.

The Azaria affair says much about the chauvinism that suffuses Israeli public life. Politics is no longer a contest of right against left but of right against far right. Israel has become more ethno-nationalist and less universalist; more Jewish and less Israeli. Mr Netanyahu, once regarded as a demagogue, often looks like a moderate next to many of his cabinet members.

Right-wingers have sought to marginalise Arab parties in the Knesset and hamper leftists and liberals. The Knesset is pushing laws on everything from reducing the volume of Muslim calls to prayer to forcing the disclosure of money given by foreign governments to NGOs (which often support human rights and other liberal causes) and giving immigration authorities greater power to ban BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel) activists from entering Israel. The government has inveighed against what it calls the ā€œactivistā€ Supreme Court (which it deems too liberal) and against the media.

Outside parliament, things can turn uglier still. The ultras of the Beitar Jerusalem football club, La Familia, sing racist chants and are frequently involved in violence, not least when they pour out of matches to look for Arabs to beat up. The team has never had an Arab player. ā€œI am a racist,ā€ says one member. ā€œThatā€™s what La Familia means: the Jewish family.ā€ A related group, Lehava, campaigns rowdily against miscegenation. All this might be dismissed as fringe activity, except that Beitar Jerusalem is much beloved of Likud ministers, and the government gives money to groups close to Lehava that seek to ā€œsaveā€ Jewish women from Muslims. It has also objected to a book featuring love between Arabs and Jews.

Ehud Barak, a former Labour prime minister, talks of ā€œbudding fascismā€. Older Likud members, from Moshe Arens, a former defence minister, to President Reuven Rivlin, and even some of the settlersā€™ father figures, find the crass racism disturbing, but these days they are sidelined. ā€œLikud was hawkish, but was liberal and democratic. It has been transformed,ā€ says Moshe Halbertal, a professor of Jewish philosophy at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. ā€œFor ultranationalists, the enemy is withinā€”NGOs, the minorities, the courts.ā€

What "weaponising" of prayer??
I see a pattern here, making big claims to demonize a country, just to lump a bunch of unrelated subjects without ever proving the main claim.

The text doesn't show any "weaponisig" of prayer, merely Your irrational obsession to twist the truth about Israel. No wonder You pay to read the most anti-Israel sources.

In the meantime, can You tell me which religion is at constant war within itself, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths to its followers on a yearly basis? Which religion uses their prayer sites as military fortifications in war against infidels, which religion in Israel totally denies the right of another to pray at their holiest site at the threat of violence and all out war?

Another case of a totally intentional distortion of reality to attack one of the most colorful and tolerant countries in the world, an exemplary case of a minority that goes way beyond any other nation to ensure the rights of other religions, and in many cases at their own expense.

Last edited:
serious a$$ kickers
you can barely see Israel on this map
they were outnumbered in all categories--yet they kicked all their a$$es
map-middle-east.gif

• Weaponising prayer
    To understand the danger of politicised piety, consider Hebron,

Here's what I don't get about "weaponising prayer", and what I see as problematic with the very idea. Its the idea that people go to pray in holy places and it results in violence and then people claim that PRAYER is the problem because of "politicised piety' or "weaponized prayer" instead of VIOLENCE being the problem. This is especially concerning when it is applied uniquely to the Jewish peoples, who's desire to pray and worship at their own holy sites is considered "provocative" or "incitement" or "weaponising prayer", rather than simply a desire to pray and worship at their own holy places, which is normally seen as a pretty basic, fundamental human right.

• Weaponising prayer
    To understand the danger of politicised piety, consider Hebron,
Here's what I don't get about "weaponising prayer", and what I see as problematic with the very idea. Its the idea that people go to pray in holy places and it results in violence and then people claim that PRAYER is the problem because of "politicised piety' or "weaponized prayer" instead of VIOLENCE being the problem. This is especially concerning when it is applied uniquely to the Jewish peoples, who's desire to pray and worship at their own holy sites is considered "provocative" or "incitement" or "weaponising prayer", rather than simply a desire to pray and worship at their own holy places, which is normally seen as a pretty basic, fundamental human right.

It's an anti-Israel propaganda stunt, they run business on creating new terms for the most apparent things once a Jew does it.

The question is why would they twist terms on specifically this subject - prayer, maybe because it's their own Achilles ankle, while being Israel's strongest advocate?

A middle eastern attitude is showing ownership, confidence and honor by treating people as guests, so if You're in a house truly owned by a Muslim no other Muslim can hurt Your guest, You fight to protect Your guest as a prerequisite to owning the territory, it's a thing of honor, and nothing shows more power than hosting Your enemy

It is very strange, but for the Waqf the smartest position to take would be to act as hosts,
which is ironically what Israel does.

Last edited:
A tourist from France rescued by the IDF after a vessel was drifting towards the shores of the Gaza Strip.

The incident took place on Friday morning, when the naval commandos spotted a vessel that had been drifting towards the Gaza Strip. The routine security group was assigned to the site and identified a vessel with a man on it. After it turned out that a French citizen on the deck was at site by mistake, he was taken away and transferred for medical treatment. The tourist spent several weeks at sea because of a mishap on the deck.

Last edited:
Report: Attorney General recommends indictment against Netanyahu

Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit decided to file an indictment for a bribe against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the framework of the 4,000 file. This was reported in News 2.

The prime minister's lawyers responded: "On the eve of a meeting between the PM's attorneys and the attorney general, there is no room for leaks aimed at sabotaging the meeting and damaging Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right to be heard in a matter-of-fact and fair manner.

"It's ridiculous that neither money nor envelopes, but a handful of hostile articles in a sea of hostile articles against the prime minister on an Internet site are considered bribery," said the prime minister's lawyers.

Demolition of home of Ari Fuld's murderer begins
Israeli security forces begin demolishing the home of the family of terrorist Khalil Jabareen.

860938.jpg

Israeli security forces on Friday morning began demolishing the home of the family of terrorist Khalil Jabareen in the village of Yatta, near Hevron.

Jabareen carried out the stabbing attack at the Gush Etzion junction in September, in which Ari Fuld was murdered.

Ari Fuld, a 40-year-old father of four, rushed toward the terrorist after being stabbed and even shot at him. He was evacuated to the Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem, where he later succumbed to the critical stab wounds he sustained.

The terrorist, 16-year-old Khalil Abu Jabareen from Yatta, was shot by a civilian passerby and taken to the Shaare Zedek Hospital.

Last week, the Supreme Court rejected the petition of the family of the terrorist against the demolition order issued for the third floor of the house where the terrorist lived.

Ari Fuld Z"L: Reclaiming Hebron LIVE Some history and some amazing developments

Israeli security forces begin demolishing the home of the family of terrorist Khalil Jabareen.

860938.jpg

Israeli security forces on Friday morning began demolishing the home of the family of terrorist Khalil Jabareen in the village of Yatta, near Hevron.

Jabareen carried out the stabbing attack at the Gush Etzion junction in September, in which Ari Fuld was murdered.

Ari Fuld, a 40-year-old father of four, rushed toward the terrorist after being stabbed and even shot at him. He was evacuated to the Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem, where he later succumbed to the critical stab wounds he sustained.

The terrorist, 16-year-old Khalil Abu Jabareen from Yatta, was shot by a civilian passerby and taken to the Shaare Zedek Hospital.

Last week, the Supreme Court rejected the petition of the family of the terrorist against the demolition order issued for the third floor of the house where the terrorist lived.

Yet they wonā€™t demolish the homes of Jewish terrorists. Imagining that! Oh wait. My bad. There is no such thing as a Jewish terrorist.

860938.jpg

Yet they wonā€™t demolish the homes of Jewish terrorists. Imagining that! Oh wait. My bad. There is no such thing as a Jewish terrorist.

For the same reason Washington doesn't bomb New York whenever there's a conviction of a criminal.
Or the same reason Israel doesn't demolish the houses of Israeli Arab criminals.
Neither the Israeli nor the American governments pay their citizens millions of $ to murder.

Better question is why would You use the fact that Jews are actually not allowed as citizens of any of the 3 Palestinian Arab governments, as an excuse to further use double standards against them?

Last edited:
Attempted stabbing attack in Hebron: The terrorist was shot
On Friday, near the beginning of the Shabat, an Arab tried to stab IDF soldiers and was shot by a civilian and soldiers

On Friday, around 16:20, an Arab tried to stab IDF soldiers at a military post near the Giv'at Ha'avot neighborhood in Hebron, but he was shot and wounded.

In the documentation of the incident, the soldiers are seen pointing their weapons at the armed terrorist who is threatening them with a knife. A civilian who arrived at the scene fired at the terrorist and immediately afterwards the soldiers also fired at him.

The terrorist was wounded and was evacuated for medical treatment.

12/01/2019 - http://www.hakolhayehudi.co.il

Last edited:

Forum List

Back