Who are some of your favorite Major League Baseball shortstops, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
As our country's lock down drags on and on and on, I'm getting more and more hungry for live baseball. ANY baseball at this point, I would even watch a game of wiffle ball of players aged 80+, completely covered in protective wear. Anyway, this would be your favorites who played shortstop for their whole careers, or mostly at that position. My picks - 1) Honus Wagner, a great hitter AND great defensive player. I wish I had gotten to see him play. 2) Ozzie Smith, never much of a hitter, but he was THE best defensive player at that position, IMO. Some footage of him making seemingly impossible plays in the field is just amazing to watch. 4) Ernie Banks, although he DID play first base exclusively in his later seasons, he made his name at shortstop. And he had unbelievable power for a player at that position. 5) Cal Ripken, Jr., we all know about his incredible streak of games played, he was also very good defensively, and was a good hitter, as well. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?

Gary Templeton when he flipped off the crowd--jackass
1587769735567.png

AROD was the all around GOAT. It’s not even a debate
He WAS a great player, no doubt about that. But those stories of his steroidal use will always be there.

The roids hurts his legacy in most circles, but before he bulked up he was an amazing 5 tool player. Barry Bonds was on his level, but I give it to AROD because it’s much harder to play shortstop than left field.

As our country's lock down drags on and on and on, I'm getting more and more hungry for live baseball. ANY baseball at this point, I would even watch a game of wiffle ball of players aged 80+, completely covered in protective wear. Anyway, this would be your favorites who played shortstop for their whole careers, or mostly at that position. My picks - 1) Honus Wagner, a great hitter AND great defensive player. I wish I had gotten to see him play. 2) Ozzie Smith, never much of a hitter, but he was THE best defensive player at that position, IMO. Some footage of him making seemingly impossible plays in the field is just amazing to watch. 4) Ernie Banks, although he DID play first base exclusively in his later seasons, he made his name at shortstop. And he had unbelievable power for a player at that position. 5) Cal Ripken, Jr., we all know about his incredible streak of games played, he was also very good defensively, and was a good hitter, as well. So, here are my favorites, who are some of yours?
Can't wait for you to ask what was the best WS you ever watched. Back in the day when the game was played.
Not like today with those 1 year contracts for HR hitters that can't play worth shit. I could rant on that one.

At least you like Americas game. Nothing like baseball.

He WAS a great player, no doubt about that. But those stories of his steroidal use will always be there.

The roids hurts his legacy in most circles, but before he bulked up he was an amazing 5 tool player. Barry Bonds was on his level, but I give it to AROD because it’s much harder to play shortstop than left field.
I still have that issue with many roid heads. It made some good ball which can't be denied. Took a lot for me to finally give in about Barry Bonds actions. Still hate him for it.

Can't wait for you to ask what was the best WS you ever watched. Back in the day when the game was played.
Not like today with those 1 year contracts for HR hitters that can't play worth shit. I could rant on that one.

Thanks. Best World Series IS a very good idea.

I still have that issue with many roid heads. It made some good ball which can't be denied. Took a lot for me to finally give in about Barry Bonds actions. Still hate him for it.

Tge reason why I’m indifferent to the roid guys is they were products of their era. Major League Baseball knew about it and did nothing when they could have easily put an end to it. I mean most ball players were juicing.

View attachment 327507

But he is such an asshole. A Rod.
I ALMOST picked him for my top 5. But he did play exclusively at third base and was a DH in his entire time with the Yankees. Also, there were the steroids allegations.
He was a gifted asshole and worse when he got to... Jeterland. Ugh.

Playing 3rd base held him back
You know what I'm talking about. Yankee fan, si?
I watched him against the Angels many times when the Rangers came to LA and he was great.

Thanks. Best World Series IS a very good idea.

86’ is my vote

View attachment 327507

But he is such an asshole. A Rod.
I ALMOST picked him for my top 5. But he did play exclusively at third base and was a DH in his entire time with the Yankees. Also, there were the steroids allegations.
He was a gifted asshole and worse when he got to... Jeterland. Ugh.

Playing 3rd base held him back
You know what I'm talking about. Yankee fan, si?
I watched him against the Angels many times when the Rangers came to LA and he was great.

Im a met fan, but I always rooted for AROD on whatever team he played for. He was untucking believable as a Ranger

And I think A-Rod SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame when he's eligible. The allegations of his steroid use seemed kind of sketchy to me. And he didn't really LOOK like someone taking steroids. Barry "Big Head" Bonds, on the other hand, gained at LEAST 60-70 lbs. of bulk and muscle, and his head really DID get bigger. His hat size actually increased, which is HIGHLY abnormal. There's no question in my mind he used steroids.

Forum List

Back