Who are Obama's friends in the international community, again?

I know, just think bushie baby (our resident deserter) and his side kick dead-eye dick(less) our chief draft dodger spead so much good will around the world with their torture and detaining foreign nationals....oh for the heady days of "Your either with us or against us."

Get real. Oh, you can't, the Repugnant Party has never known what real is.

But thank heaven we have Obama and his open hand policy to Iran, Venezuala and No.Korea now.
How's that working out for us again?

Open hand? There are fresh sanctions against Iran, with even China and Russia near agreement on joining (to be discussed during the arms proliferation summit going on as we speak). North Korea has been sanctioned by the UN Securty Council to the extent that their ships are stopped in international waters and searched for weapons. And just what is it you'd like the US (Obama) to do about Venezuela? Shall we piss off Chavez with threatening words so that he stops shipping 10% of the oil consumed in the US?

And how are all those working out for the Big O? He has had over a year of setting deadlines with the Iranians and them ignoring them. In the meantime they have continued with their plans. And now policy in the U.S. seems to be shifting to "containment", signaling their engagement policy was an abject failure. As the sanctions policy will be.
And wasn't it the Democrats who were screaming that sanctions against Saddam weren't working?

But thank heaven we have Obama and his open hand policy to Iran, Venezuala and No.Korea now.
How's that working out for us again?

Open hand? There are fresh sanctions against Iran, with even China and Russia near agreement on joining (to be discussed during the arms proliferation summit going on as we speak). North Korea has been sanctioned by the UN Securty Council to the extent that their ships are stopped in international waters and searched for weapons. And just what is it you'd like the US (Obama) to do about Venezuela? Shall we piss off Chavez with threatening words so that he stops shipping 10% of the oil consumed in the US?

And how are all those working out for the Big O? He has had over a year of setting deadlines with the Iranians and them ignoring them. In the meantime they have continued with their plans. And now policy in the U.S. seems to be shifting to "containment", signaling their engagement policy was an abject failure. As the sanctions policy will be.
And wasn't it the Democrats who were screaming that sanctions against Saddam weren't working?

I see, so let's just bomb bomb bomb Iran. Your solution? And just how will America survive the aftermath of that, pray tell? To your second point, we have barely survived the non-nuclear bomb bomb bombing of Iraq. THINK!

I see, so let's just bomb bomb bomb Iran. Your solution? And just how will America survive the aftermath of that, pray tell? To your second point, we have barely survived the non-nuclear bomb bomb bombing of Iraq. THINK!

Changing the goalposts here? How has Obama's campaign of open handedness worked out with Iran? He ran on exactly that approach, pledging to sit down and talk with Iran at any time. They rightly have snubbed him continuously, recognizing that he has no leverage to make them do anything.
So how has your boy's foreign policy approach worked over 25% into his term? Wouldn't you call that a total failure?

Changing the goalposts here? How has Obama's campaign of open handedness worked out with Iran? He ran on exactly that approach, pledging to sit down and talk with Iran at any time. They rightly have snubbed him continuously, recognizing that he has no leverage to make them do anything.
So how has your boy's foreign policy approach worked over 25% into his term? Wouldn't you call that a total failure?

I don't understand how what you are saying makes sense. Yes, he ran on that approach, and the Iranians rebuffed those outreaches. Now we're proceeding with securing stronger sanctions, the likes of which the Bush administration failed to secure due to their fostering of special relationships instead of pragmatic diplomacy with actors like China and Russia.

I don't see the policy failure here. We attempted to engage in open diplomacy, they've failed, now we can move forward with legitimacy in further actions. This is the problem with alarmists, you tend to fire first and ask questions later, but the very failure of Iraq was not in solely its policy substance, but in its procedure. That is, the unilateral, non transparent actions of the U.S. cost us legitimacy and exacerbated the Iraq war effort.

If there ever IS to be an Iranian war, we already have increased legitimacy in the fact that we have attempted to engage in open diplomacy.

No administration agrees with you on bombing Iran except the most extreme administrations. Right now Bibi's administration is vying for that title, and even they recognize that wanton bombing of Iran at this stage of the game when the U.S. is close to secure international support to cripple their economy would only be detrimental to their security.

Not to mention, the entire reason Iran wants a nuke is for greater regional security (the likelihood of Iran using a nuke on Israeli is far less of a threat than nuclear terrorism), and effective sanctions could counterbalance any effect nuclear proliferation would bring to Iran.

I don't see any solutions from you. You keep saying his FP is failing, but then according to you so has every American government since the 70's when Pakistan and India illegally procured and continued to test nuclear weapons. it's illogical to believe that an actor determined enough in this climate won't be able to make gains in acquiring any type of technology that's out there. It's a testament to the stability of our nuclear order (which then logically undermines the notion of russia as some crazy bully), that over 60 years since it's invention, only four actors have illegally acquired the weapon, and none of those actors were the ones most likely to use the bomb since it's birth.

We're discussing Obama's approach to Iran.
At the time many people, including John McCain ridiculed the approach as unproductive and destined to fail.
Guess what. They were all right. It was destined to fail and it did.
Why would we believe that his next path is going to be any more successful? And he has caused us to be less respected in the Middle East, an area that understands power and force, making the job that much harder.

He offered to sit down with them and was rejected. Who do you think looks more like the bad guy? Duh...

At the time many people, including John McCain ridiculed the approach as unproductive and destined to fail.
Why would we believe that his next path is going to be any more successful? And he has caused us to be less respected in the Middle East, an area that understands power and force, making the job that much harder.

What do YOU think would be a better strategy?

You're making no sense. What exactly has "failed"?? Other than new sanctions, relationships between Iran and the US are status quo. What failure? And the only country where Obama is less respected is Israel, and that's because he's the first president who hasn't coddled that state. Pakistan, probably THE most important player in the region, has shown far, far more cooperation with the United States than it did when Bush and Musharaff were running the show.

By this standard, every one of our six most recent presidents have been total failures re: Iran.

You're making no sense. What exactly has "failed"?? Other than new sanctions, relationships between Iran and the US are status quo. What failure? And the only country where Obama is less respected is Israel, and that's because he's the first president who hasn't coddled that state. Pakistan, probably THE most important player in the region, has shown far, far more cooperation with the United States than it did when Bush and Musharaff were running the show.

Obama promised that he could negotiate with Iran on their nuclear program by offering to sit down and talk to them.
The rejected that at every turn. That promise was false, that program was a failure. All it did was allow the Iranians more time to develop their nuclear weapons, giving them even less incentive to negotiate.
We aren't talking about Pakistan, Israel, or any other country. We are discussing Obama's failed policies in regard to Iran.

By this standard, every one of our six most recent presidents have been total failures re: Iran.

I hadn't realized that Iranians were developing nuclear weapons when Ronald Reagan was president.
Learn something new every day.

Obama, Chinese leader agree to look at possible new sanctions on Iran - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Patience is starting to pay off as the administration is bringing Russia and China into the fold

President Obama and Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao agreed today to have their respective diplomats work together on possible new sanctions for Iran over its nuclear program, officials said.

The Chinese are "prepared to work with us," said White House national security aide Jeff Bader, briefing reporters after Obama and Hu met on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit.

It appears the "Axis of evil" threats did not work against Iran.

Intense diplomatic efforts to bring the world community against Iran are starting to pay off

Obama promised that he could negotiate with Iran on their nuclear program by offering to sit down and talk to them.
The rejected that at every turn. That promise was false, that program was a failure. All it did was allow the Iranians more time to develop their nuclear weapons, giving them even less incentive to negotiate.
We aren't talking about Pakistan, Israel, or any other country. We are discussing Obama's failed policies in regard to Iran.

Except that it was you who "moved the goalposts" by suggesting the Obama is unpopular in every Mideastern country.

Except that it was you who "moved the goalposts" by suggesting the Obama is unpopular in every Mideastern country.

Please show me where I said that. It's true. But show me wherre I said that and why that is significant.

Please show me where I said that. It's true. But show me wherre I said that and why that is significant.

The Rabbi said:

That charge is even worse than my paraphrased "is unpopular." Obama is NOT "less respected" in that region. Since you made the allegation, you can just post your sources therefor.

The Rabbi said:

That charge is even worse than my paraphrased "is unpopular." Obama is NOT "less respected" in that region. Since you made the allegation, you can just post your sources therefor.

I'm curious as to how you got EVERY Mid-Eastern country from that line. Have to agree with Rabbi...he's not very popular in the region.

Forum List

Back