Zone1 White on Black Crime.

1690335130407.png

Racism, xenophobia, discrimination, and the determination of health​

Introduction​

Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination exist in every society, causing avoidable disease and premature death among groups that are already disadvantaged.

Such discrimination underpins assaults on people seen as others, whether through institutionalised discriminatory policies, in communities where inequalities are entrenched, or through individuals playing a role in systemic oppressions and interpersonal aggressions. Although the types of discrimination take different forms across time and space, the root causes are situated in efforts to maintain historic power structures. Understanding and challenging discrimination and its underlying ideologies is central to public health and the promotion of social equity. Equally, by ignoring these realities, health professionals are complicit in the structural violence that leads to ill health

1690335491462.png

Racism, the public health crisis we can no longer ignore​

People from minoritised ethnic groups are more likely to work as key workers in frontline jobs that expose them to SARS-CoV-2, and are more likely to live in overcrowded accommodation, meaning social distancing is not an option. They are then more likely to have barriers to accessing health services, meaning that they present late in a worse condition, and with a higher probability of underlying illnesses that put them at greater risk of death. In some cases, the existence of these comorbidities lowers the chances for intubation and ventilation, resulting in a double burden of being more prone to be severely unwell and less likely to receive intensive care. Beyond these proximal causes of ill health lie racism and structural forms of discrimination. Marginalised groups are disadvantaged in all the social determinants of health. However, racism is more than this, it is a fundamental cause of ill health. At all socioeconomic levels, people of colour have poorer health outcomes. Racism cumulates over the lifecourse, leading to activation of stress responses and hormonal adaptations, increasing the risk of non-communicable diseases and biological ageing. This trauma is also transmitted intergenerationally and affects the offspring of those initially affected through complex biopsychosocial pathways.

The root of these so-called biological causes is racism, not race itself.

The date shows differently. But racists deny the root cause.
Not being a racist I don't deny the root cause. It isn't going to change so you are going to have to live with it.

IOW, we have to live with you, and you have to live with us, for better or worse.

Last edited:
We don't have to move anywhere. Whites like you just need to work to get rid of your racism.
I said that you always have the choice to move.
As long as two disparate races (ethnicities) are in close proximity racism will exist regardless of the good intentions of some. So, there no 'getting rid' of racism.

Last edited:
I have the choice to practice my first amendment rights and can use that right to demand change. If YOU don't like it, YOU MOVE!

1690354130075.png

Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination: mapping pathways to health outcomes​

BY:
Sujitha Selvarajah, MBBS
Susanna Corona Maioli, MBBS
Thilagawathi Abi Deivanayagam, MPH
Priscila de Morais Sato, PhD
Prof Delan Devakumar, PhD
Seung-Sup Kim, ScD
Published: December 10, 2022

Summary​

Despite being globally pervasive, racism, xenophobia, and discrimination are not universally recognised determinants of health. We challenge widespread beliefs related to the inevitability of increased mortality and morbidity associated with particular ethnicities and minoritised groups. In refuting that racial categories have a genetic basis and acknowledging that socioeconomic factors offer incomplete explanations in understanding these health disparities, we examine the pathways by which discrimination based on caste, ethnicity, Indigeneity, migratory status, race, religion, and skin colour affect health. Discrimination based on these categories, although having many unique historical and cultural contexts, operates in the same way, with overlapping pathways and health effects. We synthesise how such discrimination affects health systems, spatial determination, and communities, and how these processes manifest at the individual level, across the life course, and intergenerationally. We explore how individuals respond to and internalise these complex mechanisms psychologically, behaviourally, and physiologically. The evidence shows that racism, xenophobia, and discrimination affect a range of health outcomes across all ages around the world, and remain embedded within the universal challenges we face, from COVID-19 to the climate emergency.

Who does racism, xenophobia, and discrimination harm?​

In addition to the profound damage to oppressed and minoritised groups globally, racism and discrimination financially strain health systems. For example, an estimate of health-care-related costs from racial inequalities in the USA over a 4-year period (2003–08) was US$229 billion, along with a loss of $1 trillion due to lost productivity from illness and premature deaths.

(PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS PART RACISTS!)
Although many studies on structural racism show damaging effects on the health of Black people but not White people, other studies show deleterious effects on both groups. In addition to this complexity, there is now ample evidence that socioeconomic inequalities within societies are bad for everyone's health and wellbeing, and individual wealth and power (beyond a fairly low threshold) does little, if anything, to improve overall health or happiness. As such, there is a compelling argument for the privileged to address racism and discrimination, not only as an ethical wrong, but as an endeavour that, in seeking to address a collective trauma which affects everyone in distinct ways and to various intensities, converges with their own interests.

Conclusion​

Despite the overwhelming evidence regarding these health inequities, racism, xenophobia, and discrimination are potentially modifiable risk factors; they are contingent on geopolitical economic power relations rather than anything intrinsic to the categorisations of caste, ethnicity, migration status, Indigeneity, race, religion, or skin colour. Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination constitute a social, political, and cultural crisis in themselves, fracturing and undermining social cohesion and inclusion worldwide. As the profound effects of resource extraction and capital accumulation on climate and ecosystems unfold in the coming decades, discrimination will continue to exacerbate the crises faced by minoritised people—especially in low resource settings—during the disasters and emergencies to follow on from COVID-19.

Although health inequities, patterned by manifestations of oppression, are a powerfully deleterious feature of the current state of our world, they are also a reflection of factors that are far more fundamental than health. Specifically, discrimination is underpinned by the existence, in modern global societies, of profoundly oppressive hierarchical societal configurations characterised by rampant individualism and competition, and artificial scarcity produced through regimens of ownership that result in severely unjust global wealth concentrations. Racism, xenophobia, and discrimination need not be a permanent fixture of our world.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)01972-9/fulltext

You're white and the problem is white on black crime. How about you figering out a solution?
I've already told you that I know my own prescriptions. What is yours? I see your constant complaints, but I see no remedies.

I've already told you that I know my own prescriptions. What is yours? I see your constant complaints, but I see no remedies.
I'm not the one to provide a prescription for whites to stop being racists. Because I have long stated that whites need to go into their communities and work to end white racism.

It seems that the root cause of black problems is the way you respond to white racism.

"Nobody loves me (racism), I'm going to go eat worms (response)." :(

Just don't eat worms and you'll be fine. :)

*Worms: Booze, cigarettes, drugs, gambling, premarital sex, gluttony, indolence, violence, and other profligate indulgences.

The deadly sins of the black community. :omg:
No, the problem is the racism in whites like you that is so innred that you believe you have the right to tell me how I should respond to it. Everything you call black deadly sins, whites do them too and they do more of it.

No, the problem is the racism in whites like you that is so innred that you believe you have the right to tell me how I should respond to it. Everything you call black deadly sins, whites do them too and they do more of it.
Sure, but they're not as deadly to whites as they are to blacks.

1690433051618.png

There has been steady and sustained growth in scientific research on the multiple ways in which racism can affect health and racial/ethnic inequities in health. This article provides an overview of key findings and trends in this area of research. It begins with a description of the nature of racism and the principal mechanisms -- structural, cultural and individual -- by which racism can affect health. For each dimension, we review key research findings and describe needed scientific research. We also discuss evidence for interventions to reduce racism and needed research to advance knowledge in this area. Finally, we discuss crosscutting priorities across the three domains of racism.

The patterning of racial/ethnic inequities in health was an early impetus for research on racism and health. First, there are elevated rates of disease and death for historically marginalized racial groups, blacks (or African Americans), Native Americans (or American Indians and Alaska Natives) and Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders, who tend to have earlier onset of illness, more aggressive progression of disease and poorer survival. Second, empirical analyses revealed the persistence of racial differences in health even after adjustment for socioeconomic status (SES). For example, at every level of education and income, African Americans have lower life expectancy at age 25 than whites and Hispanics (or Latinos), with blacks with a college degree or more education having lower life expectancy than whites and Hispanics who graduated from high school. Third, research has also documented declining health for Hispanic immigrants over time with middle-aged U.S.-born Mexican Americans and Mexican immigrants resident 20 or more years in the U.S. having a health profile that did not differ from that of African Americans.

Racism and Health​

Racism is an organized social system, in which the dominant racial group, based on an ideology of inferiority, categorizes and ranks people into social groups called “races”, and uses its power to devalue, disempower, and differentially allocate valued societal resources and opportunities to groups defined as inferior. Race is primarily a social category, based on nationality, ethnicity, phenotypic or other markers of social difference, which captures differential access to power and resources in society. Racism functions on multiple levels. The cultural agencies within a society socializes the population to accept as true the inferiority of non-dominant racial groups leading to negative normative beliefs (stereotypes) and attitudes (prejudice) toward stigmatized racial groups which undergird differential treatment of members of these groups by both individuals and social institutions. A characteristic of racism is that its structure and ideology can persist in governmental and institutional policies in the absence of individual actors who are explicitly racially prejudiced.

Conclusions​

The study of contemporary racism and its impact on health is complex, as manifestations of structural, cultural, and interpersonal racism adapt to changes in technology, cultural norms, and political events. This body of research illustrates the myriad ways in which the larger social environment can get under the skin to drive health and inequities in health. While there is much that we yet need to learn, the quality and quantity of research continues to increase in this area and there is an acute need for increased attention to identifying the optimal interventions to reduce and eliminate the negative effects of racism on health. Understanding and effectively addressing the ways in which racism affects health is critical to improving population health and to making progress in reducing large and often intractable racial inequities in health.

I'm not the one to provide a prescription for whites to stop being racists. Because I have long stated that whites need to go into their communities and work to end white racism.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. For the record, I absolutely agree that your solution, though very vague and high-level to the point of nearly being meaningless, is a necessary ingredient in the solution, but I would add this to it. Instead of continuing to keep the "communities" separated, blend them wherever and whenever possible. Keeping them separated perpetuates division, as the majority can continue to teach their children that the minority can't succeed without the majority's help, and that there's something "other" and "less" about them without counter examples living next door or down the street. At the same time, the minority can continue to foster grievance in their children, blaming the majority for their situation and avoiding responsibility to make the very most from the opportunities available, also without counter examples living next door or down the street.

Racists on both sides of the coin need to be shouted down by louder voices. Times have changed and continue to change. We are not living in the slavery or Jim Crow era anymore and shouldn't act like we are. We both know of those who have advocated for sanity, peace, and unity, only to suffer estrangement from their own (speaking of the terms "N-lover" and "Uncle Tom"). And you are part of the problem if you stop listening just because someone is saying things the "other side" wants to hear, without bothering to consider if there is truth in what they are saying.

I would also add that you can never completely eliminate racism. There will always be suspicion and distrust of "them" because they look or act different.

What steps should the whites take?

85 percent of whites who are killed each year are killed by another white person. The majority of all crime in America is INTRARACIAL, not interracial. I keep reading posts by those who make claims about black on white crime. But you see there is a major problem with that thinking.

In 2014, “Structural racism and myocardial infarction in the United States,” a study by Alicia Lukachko, Mark Hatzenbuehler, & Katherine Keyes, was published in Social Science and Medicine Journal. Their research showed that structural racism was one cause of heart attacks in black people. “This study demonstrates adverse effects of structural racism— specifically state-level racial disparities disadvantaging Blacks in political representation, employment, and incarceration —on past 12-month myocardial infarction. These adverse effects, however, were specific to Blacks, and among Whites, indicators of structural racism appear to have a benign or even beneficial effect on cardiac health. It is important to note that individual-level risk factors including age, sex, education, income, and medical insurance do not account for these findings".

On June 3, 2020, SAMHSA’s Office of Behavioral Health Equity published a report titled, “Trauma, Racism, Chronic Stress and the Health of Black Americans.” They found that racism contributed to poor mental health and chronic physical health problems. “Racism and associated trauma and violence contribute to mental health disorders, particularly depression, anxiety and PTSD, and chronic health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, maternal mortality/infant mortality and morbidity in African Americans. Racism is considered a fundamental cause of adverse health outcomes for racial/ethnic minorities and racial/ethnic inequities in health. The primary domains of racism - structural/institutional racism, cultural racism, and individual-level discrimination— are linked to mental and physical health outcomes. Racism and violence targeting a specific community is increasingly associated with complex trauma and intergenerational trauma, all of which have physical and behavioral health consequences."

Rav Arora wrote an article for the NY Post 2020 titled, “These Black Lives Didn’t Seem To Matter In 2020.” He points out that over 8,600 blacks were killed in 2020 and that 90 percent of those were killed by another black. He then goes on to say this: “Since more than 90 percent of black homicide victims are killed by black offenders, the ghost of endemic white supremacy cannot be invoked to push racial grievance narratives. As a result, the media turns a blind eye. Black lives only seem to matter when racism is involved.”

Arora is right; the media, including him, turn a blind eye to the biggest killer of black people. For years we as black people have heard the constant lectures about black-on-black crime. For years we as black people have heard the constant lectures about black-on-black crime.

Arora cites 8,600 homicides of blacks, with ninety percent of those homicides committed by other blacks and believes he is making a compelling argument while calling out black organizations to take responsibility for what he views as THE problem in the black community. But when we talk about what the media doesn't show, or stats that get ignored there is this..

According to the American Heart Association, hypertension-related deaths in the black community increased from 171,259 to 270,839 annually from 2000-2018.

These numbers are twenty and thirty-one times the number of blacks who were murdered in ways that “bother” people like Arora. Most of these people died from hypertension caused by the stress of living with white racism. Racism was outlawed on paper during the 1960's. That makes racism a crime. Racism is a crime that continues to be perpetrated against blacks and all people of color in the United States. According to Arora, at least 90 percent of those 8,600 murders of blacks were by blacks. If you use Aroras claim as the basis, at least 7,740 blacks were killed by other blacks in 2020. He and others claim this is a number that blacks must immediately address.

More than 270,000 blacks died due to hypertension in 2020, judging by the trends shown by the American Heart Association. If we are generous and conclude that just ten percent of these deaths are directly attributed to racist actions by whites, over 27,000 such deaths in 2020 were caused by white racism. That means 3.5 times more black people died from stress induced by white racism than blacks murdering each other on the streets of America and approximately 70 times more than blacks who killed whites. THAT, is white-on-black crime.

Here is what we see. Very few murders in Metro Detroit. Lots of murders in Detroit. And not a lot of crime in metro Detroit. Even our black neighbors. So far so good.

EXCEPT, the blacks who steal shit at the mall. My neighbor works at LuLu Lemon and she tells me how bold the blacks are about stealing from malls. And trying to return shit they stole. Or just grab and dashing. Then trying to return that stuff later.

This one girl had a stack of clothes she said she purchased that she wanted to return. When they looked up the tags on the clothes, she didn't buy those items. She insists that she did.

And for some reason security don't do shit about it and the cops are lazy about it too. My neighbor showed me a video of the two cops arresting a black woman shoplifter. She was beligerant and resisting. One black watching/filming the incident said something like, "you can't treat her like that just because she was shoplifting". First of all, the only reason it's getting rough is because she's resisting arrest. Even cuffed, she's fighting the officers. How are they supposed to handle her?

Black people in Detroit ran all the malls out of Detroit. Between the costs of having so many security guards on top of the cost of theft, no mall will open in Detroit. Too dangerous and expensive.

This is also why Magic Johnson or P Diddy won't open up a mall in Detroit. Or Oprah. It's a losing venture.

So this is what we see. Black on white crime. Assuming white people own LuLu Lemon. I don't know who owns that store. But they got a black people problem.

This is why whites don't invest in the black community.

Your thoughts?

You're white and the problem is white on black crime. How about you figering out a solution?
The problem is all crime. To say the problem is white on black crime is false. There is more black on white crime than there is white on black crime. Anyone committing a crime is the problem.

You want all whites to end crimes against blacks. Only the law and/or criminal can do that. Yet, you do or say nothing about black crime.

Again, if racism is systemic,then the Nigerians would be suffering from it.
In America racism is systemic. Nigerians do suffer from it. I have friends who are Nigerians, Kenyans, Ghanians and from other nations in Africa. There are 380,000 Nigerians here out of 48 million blacks. That's less than 1 percent. Don't trt arguing about how systemic racism doesn't exist by using 2-3 Nigerians.

Forum List

Back