Which Side Are You On?

Anybody remember Archie and Edith?

"Everybody pulled his weight.
Didn't need no welfare state...
Those were the days!"

Archie Bunker, protagonist of the popular 1970s TV sitcom "All in the Family" and today's Tea Party movement seem to share a misconception of just how "conservative" the 1930s, 40s and 50s actually were.

Were those decades a time when hard-working Americans pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps?

"It's true that Americans worked hard during these years.

"But the bootstraps stuff is nonsense.

"The 30s through 50s were the time of the New Deal, low-cost loans from the Federal Housing Administration, the GI Bill, huge subsidies for defense contractors during the Cold War and other industries that employed millions of people, massive transfer of funding from cities to the burgeoning suburbs, federal projects like interstate highway construction and the space program, generous investment in public schools, record union membership, high tax rates for corporations and the wealthy, good job benefits, and Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, which ensured financial stability in old age and medical crises...

"On the evidence of history, calling today's Republican Party and their Tea Party supporters 'conservative' is as absurd as calling supporters of civil rights and racial justice 'reactionary' because they invoke the values of the Reconstruction Era."

Which Side Are You On? New Language for a New Political Reality | Common Dreams

Oh...Ok....Nice try Gerogie..
Back then, this was called a "hand up". Now it's viewed as an expected "hand out".
Too many of us look upon social saafety nets as " you owe me".
That's the difference.
BTW, never refer to taxes and "forced sacrifice" as investments. An investment in it's concept has a potrential for positive financial return.
Government plans LOSE money. All of them. As a matter of fact,, govt programs are over stuffed inefficient bureaucracies that cosnume taxpayer resources and look to consume more.

LMAO!! So let me guess you think everyone should work for the government instead.
That's one hell of a leap to make. I trust government more than private corporate interests.

What variety of logic let's you make the assumption that I believe everyone should then work for the government? I'll go out on a limb and guess Glenn Beck taught you everything you know about deductive reasoning.

Do corporations do a better job of keeping employment here in America than any other entity?
Well given there are only two choices Private and Public, since you seem to hate the idea of Private that leaves only public. So I guess that assumption came from some idiot who listens to madcow all day.

Jones and Lauglin Steel. Bethlehem Steel. Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel. US Steel. Rubbermaid. Sterling China Co. Louthan Foundry.

Just some of the privately owned corporations which have abandoned America. They took the works. The factories, the jobs, the opportunities for working families to make a good future here and sent them all to Asia and Mexico.

That's why I don't trust corporatations. They get the best from American workers and then fold up their tents and steal away in search of greater profits. I wonder how they (the corporations) can still imagine having paying customers when they take the jobs away.

Anybody remember Archie and Edith?

"Everybody pulled his weight.
Didn't need no welfare state...
Those were the days!"

Archie Bunker, protagonist of the popular 1970s TV sitcom "All in the Family" and today's Tea Party movement seem to share a misconception of just how "conservative" the 1930s, 40s and 50s actually were.

Were those decades a time when hard-working Americans pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps?

"It's true that Americans worked hard during these years.

"But the bootstraps stuff is nonsense.

"The 30s through 50s were the time of the New Deal, low-cost loans from the Federal Housing Administration, the GI Bill, huge subsidies for defense contractors during the Cold War and other industries that employed millions of people, massive transfer of funding from cities to the burgeoning suburbs, federal projects like interstate highway construction and the space program, generous investment in public schools, record union membership, high tax rates for corporations and the wealthy, good job benefits, and Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, which ensured financial stability in old age and medical crises...

"On the evidence of history, calling today's Republican Party and their Tea Party supporters 'conservative' is as absurd as calling supporters of civil rights and racial justice 'reactionary' because they invoke the values of the Reconstruction Era."

There is a profound difference between giving a person a Hand up from a Hand out. Nobody has a problem giving a person a hand up there is however a problem giving them a hand out.
In the struggle between Corporate America vs. We the People, which side are you on?
That's YOUR struggle.
Your problem is you spend so much time peering over the fence to see what everyone else is doing instead of concentrating on your own affairs.
Bootstraps? Ok, perfect example. During the "dustbowl" era, many families simply gave up and moved to find work in more prosperous areas of the country. They didn't sit idly by and wait for the taxapyer tit to arrive. They did what they had to do to make a living.
You on the other hand would have cried out for some kind of new social program to pay these people.

I'm on whichever side has cookies.

dark-side-cookie.jpg.jpeg

don't forget the milk!!!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8mB6VsUHw]YouTube - ‪Sesame Street: Cookie Monster Sings C is for Cookie‬‏[/ame]

Its called not buying the product works extremely well perhaps you've heard of not picking it up off the shelve.

Are corporations widely regarded as great stewards of our natural resources? Corporations are motivated by their own profit margins, not the public good.

LMAO!! So let me guess you think everyone should work for the government instead.
That's one hell of a leap to make. I trust government more than private corporate interests.

What variety of logic let's you make the assumption that I believe everyone should then work for the government? I'll go out on a limb and guess Glenn Beck taught you everything you know about deductive reasoning.

Gov't writes your paycheck and they basically can't lay you off. Of course you trust them.

I trust someone who has an incentive to keep me happy. If companies don't deliver on keeping me happy I'll go elsewhere. If gov't doesn't keep me happy where do I go?

Gov't writes your paycheck and they basically can't lay you off. Of course you trust them.

I trust someone who has an incentive to keep me happy. If companies don't deliver on keeping me happy I'll go elsewhere. If gov't doesn't keep me happy where do I go?
To the voting booth.

There is a profound difference between giving a person a Hand up from a Hand out. Nobody has a problem giving a person a hand up there is however a problem giving them a hand out.
In the struggle between Corporate America vs. We the People, which side are you on?

Corporate America is the people.
In the sense that Governor Rick Scott of Florida is a voice for health care reform.

"Consider Gov. Rick Scott of Florida, currently on a mission to overturn the Democrats' health care reform bill. Does Gov. Scott really oppose public spending for health care?

"In 1997, he was forced to resign as CEO of Columbia/HCA after the company pleaded guilty to 14 felonies and agreed to a $600-plus million fine in the largest fraud settlement in US history, for fraud involving Medicare and other public health programs.

"For bilking taxpayers out of hundreds of millions, Rick Scott was paid $9.88 million and allowed to keep 10 million shares of stock worth over $350 million."

Do corporations do a better job of keeping employment here in America than any other entity?
Well given there are only two choices Private and Public, since you seem to hate the idea of Private that leaves only public. So I guess that assumption came from some idiot who listens to madcow all day.

Jones and Lauglin Steel. Bethlehem Steel. Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel. US Steel. Rubbermaid. Sterling China Co. Louthan Foundry.

Just some of the privately owned corporations which have abandoned America. They took the works. The factories, the jobs, the opportunities for working families to make a good future here and sent them all to Asia and Mexico.

That's why I don't trust corporatations. They get the best from American workers and then fold up their tents and steal away in search of greater profits. I wonder how they (the corporations) can still imagine having paying customers when they take the jobs away.
What drove those companies away?

profit

profit

Government did

Here is the problem. You've created a false dichotemy. For whatever reason you believe that a corporation, or rather an association of people working together on some business venture, is in conflict with the American people. Yet you've provided no evidence of it. You've shown nothing of why corporations are evil or why they are more dangerous than other forms of business.

I simply don't accept your premise that we the people are at war with corporations as corporations are merely a vehicle some of us use to conduct business.

In the struggle between We the People and an All Powerful Central Government, which side are you on?
We the People have the power to change the government. How much power do We the People have in corporate board rooms?

Do corporations do a better job of keeping employment here in America than any other entity? Are corporations widely regarded as great stewards of our natural resources? Corporations are motivated by their own profit margins, not the public good.
Do you believe businesses should operate for the "public good"? If so, you bring to light the advancement of government control through central planning.
BTW, the investors in a publicly traded company can in fact affect chenge in the board room by simply dumping their shares.
For example. About 10 or so years ago Time Warner was having it's annual shreholder's meeting. Diuring that time a groundswell of protest vs TW was ongoing in reaction to that company's record label promoting a rap song by an "artist" who advocated the killling of police officers. Charlton Heston, a stockholder at that time stood up in the meeting and read laoud the lyrics of the controveresial song. Then at the end of his reading looked the board members in the eye and exclaimed "you people should be ashamed of yourselves". Board members at the head table were left speechless. Remarkably after Time Warner's stock price began ot delcine, TW rescinded it's contract with the artist and refused to publish the album.
The point is, people can indeed influenece the corporate board room or the way a corp. does business.

Here is the problem. You've created a false dichotemy. For whatever reason you believe that a corporation, or rather an association of people working together on some business venture, is in conflict with the American people. Yet you've provided no evidence of it. You've shown nothing of why corporations are evil or why they are more dangerous than other forms of business.

I simply don't accept your premise that we the people are at war with corporations as corporations are merely a vehicle some of us use to conduct business.
Great post....This is liberal playbook pageo ne. Attack the opposition by accusation and leave out important facts and evidence to support the attack. This leaves the accused to defend themselves instead of promoting themselves.

Last edited:

In the struggle between We the People and an All Powerful Central Government, which side are you on?
We the People.

Corporate America depends on an All Powerful Central Government to act in its best interests.

I don't see any way to weaken the Corporate State by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in the voting booth.

Do you?

Corporate state? Seriously, you guys and your obsession with corporations borders on unhealthy sometimes.

It's simply that some people must create a fall guy to blame for their own woes and or short comings.

You trust the government more than your fellow citizens? Interesting...

profit

Why were they not profitable?

Forum List

Back