Which of These Foods Would You serve For a Summer Party?

Which of these foods would you be willing to serve for friends at lunch?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
We have actual racist food now, according to some, but how pervasive is this fear of racist food?

So I thought I would do a quick poll here and get some idea.

racist-food.jpg

Anyone that dislikes watermelon and fried chicken is un-American.
It's really hard to get good fried chicken up north. Around here, even Kentucky Fried Chicken shares space with Taco Bell.

Chitterlings are fkn repulsive. I have banned the Mrs. from making them in our house. The smell would make a maggot puke.

I've had this discussion a million times before. I can kinda understand that watermelon is a pretty random stereotype, but how did fried chicken make it in there? Who doesn't like fried chicken? :dunno:

Though I've had tasty chitterlings, I don't care enough for them to serve them ever. I wouldn't be bothered by someone -- someone whose cooking acumen with them I know well -- serving them to me.

Black-eyed peas are pretty much something that occur to me only at New Year's. They'd be fine, but it wouldn't cross my mind to serve them in the summer.

Kool-Aid would be fine too if I know my guest(s) have a "thing" for it. Iced tea, fresh lemonade, carbonated sodas, and/or homemade punch are more likely the non-alcoholic drink offerings (other than water) I'd have at a summer party.

Mmm..makin Jungle Juice with the watermelon.

:alcoholic:
Pour a fifth of vodka in the watermelon and once it's soaked it up good, cube the watermelon and put it back in the shell, serve. Stand back and watch your guests get hammered without being aware. Or the boss.

It may surprise you to learn that the Chinese eat watermelon considerably more so than do Americans. Truly, I cannot recall a single meal in a China that wasn't accompanied by watermelon. (Fresh fruit is easily the most common dessert in China.)

Aside:
The Chinese have several proverbs about watermelons. The character for it is 瓜, which translates strictly to "melon," but the melon they'll point to if one asks what it means is watermelon and not the other melons it could be. The other types of melon have additional characters that distinguish them from watermelon.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back