• Democrat Party

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Libertarian Party

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

IHBF

Rookie
Jul 5, 2010
The definition of "liberal" is at your discretion.

Both parties' platforms are available online.

Libertarian Party by leaps and bounds...

Edit: But democrats don't think that... And republicans sure as hell don't think that. LOL

Democrats think they are liberal, and republicans think that they are too!!! It's morbidly ironic to the point of being funny.

Last edited:
The Libertarian Party is both more socially liberal than the Democrats, and more fiscally conservative than the Republicans, and both sides hate them for it.

In regards to personal freedom, race, sexuality wars, income and so on Libertarians are by far the most liberal party. If by "liberal" you mean in creating more costly Government regulations and programs that divide the country by race, sexuality, income and so on then that would be Democrats…

But it’s not a fair question seeing as Democrats (the elected party) are the least freedom advocating of the two current major parties.

As Liberal has had several meanings over the last three hundred years the question is up for interpretation.

However, using the 18th-19th century definition (small, inactive government respecting the rights of its citizens) of the term, I'll go with Libertarian.
Using the 20th-21st century definition (activist, progressive, granting rights nowhere else recognised in history, intruding on others, government large and intrusive in all respects) then both the GOPers and the Democrats qualify.

The Libertarian Party is both more socially liberal than the Democrats, and more fiscally conservative than the Republicans, and both sides hate them for it.
Yeah... That sounds about right.

The hardcore Libertarians are much more liberal than an 'average' Democrat.

You don't care if there is a heroin carryout and a gay whorehouse setting up shop on either side of the local middle school.

As an actual complete package, pure Libertarianism as a way to govern has the same shortcoming as Communism in that it fails to account for the vagrancies of human nature.

It is a complete joke in that regard. We tried libertarianism in the wild wild west. Didn't work.

That said, most people find things they like about libertarian philosophy they like a great deal, including myself.

I hate to always be the guy in here to bear the bad news for you guys, but oh, well.

Last edited:

You don't care if there is a heroin carryout and a gay whorehouse setting up shop on either side of the local middle school.

As an actual complete package, pure Libertarianism as a way to govern has the same shortcoming as Communism in that it fails to account for the vagrancies of human nature.
*ponders*

What would those shortcomings be?

It is a complete joke in that regard. We tried libertarianism in the wild wild west. Didn't work.
Why didn't it?

That said, most people find things they like about libertarian philosophy they like a great deal, including myself.

I hate to always be the guy in here to bear the bad news for you guys, but oh, well.
I see you saying it... I just don't know why you are saying it. It's a bunch of statements with no substance. Are you a politician?

definitions aren't discretionary. words have meaning.

Indeed. The reason I said that is because "liberal" used to mean liberty and less government intervention. Today, a typical liberal is a statist.

So, I left it open to be decided based upon how you define the word.

Indeed. The reason I said that is because "liberal" used to mean liberty and less government intervention. Today, a typical liberal is a statist.
If words have meaning... Then... No... A liberal is absolutely not a statist. I don't care if "democrats" consider themselves liberal or not. I don't care if "republicans" consider "democrats" liberals or not. They are NOT liberals. There is nothing wrong with liberals. There is something wrong with "democrats & republicans"

I don't think people should make up their own definitions for words. Society will naturally evolve a language and things might take a different meaning through time... That's alright. But find me a dictionary where liberal = statist.

roflmao

The phrase socialy liberal but conservatively conservative is an oxymoronn. Ir defines a person who loves social programs but will be damned if they will pay for them.

roflmao

The phrase socialy liberal but conservatively conservative is an oxymoronn. Ir defines a person who loves social programs but will be damned if they will pay for them.
If that's actually what they said then... yes... You would be correct it would be an oxymoron. But it's not what they said. Hell... You quoted what they said. o.0

"Liberal" has come to mean advocate of big government and moral perversion.

Both the Libertarian and Democratic Parties are very Liberal. It's tough to choose which is more Liberal.

liberals--as I have come to understand from its use in Amercian parlance--is usually a leftist.

There is nothing "leftist" about libertarians. Yes, there is some agreement in the concept of freedom and civil liberties, the difference is that Libertarians seek less government intervention, liberals seek more.

Nailed it.

That's the first post you've dumped on this board that I agree with.

*ponders*

What would those shortcomings be?

Morality, for one.

Explain that, please.

liberals--as I have come to understand from its use in Amercian parlance--is usually a leftist.

There is nothing "leftist" about libertarians. Yes, there is some agreement in the concept of freedom and civil liberties, the difference is that Libertarians seek less government intervention, liberals seek more.

Libertarians (as in the party) want less government? You're f-ing retarded!

The priority of the Libertarian party is to promote everything that leads to bigger government.

Forum List

Back