Which College Degrees Get The Highest Salaries?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This 1s an interesting list of the top 20 and I swell with pride that my step-granddaughter has not only been the first in her family to go to college but is studying civil engineering, #12 on the list.

The top earning specialization out of college is for Physician Assistants, with a median starting salary of $74,300. The downside of this degree is that earning potential levels out quickly, only showing a 23.4% increase in earning power 10 years in.

In contrast, the biggest increases in earning power go to Math, Philosophy, Economics, Marketing, Physics, Political Science, and International Relations majors. All these degrees see a 90% or higher increase from median starting salary to median mid-career salary.

More @ Which College Degrees Get The Highest Salaries?

This 1s an interesting list of the top 20 and I swell with pride that my step-granddaughter has not only been the first in her family to go to college but is studying civil engineering, #12 on the list.

The top earning specialization out of college is for Physician Assistants, with a median starting salary of $74,300. The downside of this degree is that earning potential levels out quickly, only showing a 23.4% increase in earning power 10 years in.

In contrast, the biggest increases in earning power go to Math, Philosophy, Economics, Marketing, Physics, Political Science, and International Relations majors. All these degrees see a 90% or higher increase from median starting salary to median mid-career salary.

More @ Which College Degrees Get The Highest Salaries?

Not going by statistics read online but by personal observation of friends and family members who did well the degrees they got that ended up in long run leading to these salaries were:

Actuary Science - $100k+
Law Degrees - $100k+
Engineering Degrees - $80k - $100k+
Accounting with CPA license - $80k - $100k+
Nursing - B.S. + M.S. - 70k+

The Catch -22 is these are all harder degrees that many college students would have a hard time completing, so not many students can make it through these degree programs so they drop out and select a much easier major that leads to way less job opportunties
[

Engineering companies are struggling to fill positions. Many are offering signing bonuses in addition to high starting pay. Here is a reprint from the NACE website:

BETHLEHEM, PA—Class of 2018 graduates earning engineering and computer science degrees are expected to command the highest starting salaries at the bachelor’s-degree level, according to results of a new survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).

According to NACE’s Winter 2018 Salary Survey report, engineering majors are projected to average $66,521, while computer science graduates are expected to average $66,005.

Forum List

Back