Make The School Great Again!

Discussion in 'Education' started by PoliticalChic, Jul 29, 2018.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,318
    There is a lot of truth in this sentiment:

"If we are unable to take back the schools, all is for naught."
    Weeping For The Wolf Pack??

But.....what if we just put them out of business????

1. "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Education: The Homeschooling Option
    Liam Sigler - Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Education: The Homeschooling Option

2. Americans have lost faith in the public school system. Only 36 percent of U.S. parents have a “great deal” of support for public schools, according to a 2017 study by Gallup. But despite this dismal reality, more than 90 percent of American children remain enrolled in public schools.

3. ...however, a growing contingent of parents who are rejecting government schools and instead choosing to educate their own children at home.

4. Although homeschoolers only currently make up about 3.4 percent of the total student population, homeschooling is a shining example of what education freedom can deliver.
    ...homeschoolers fare much better than their public school counterparts. After examining a compilation of nationwide studies, Dr. Brian Ray of the National Home Education Research Institute revealed that, “The homeschooled have consistently scored in these studies, on average, at the 65th to 80th percentile on standardized academic achievement tests in the United States and Canada, compared to the public school average of the 50th percentile.”

[​IMG]

5. "
    Third-Grade Teacher Has Students Write ‘Get Well’ Cards To Cop Killer Mumia Abu-Jamal
    A third-grade teacher at a public school in New Jersey is under fire after she encouraged her students to write letters to notorious convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal, who recently fell ill in prison.

Marylin Zuniga teaches language arts and social studies at Forest Street School in Orange, N.J."
    Third-Grade Teacher Has Students Write ‘Get Well’ Cards To Cop Killer Mumia Abu-Jamal

Education is no longer the mission of government schooling.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Erinwltr

Erinwltr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Copy and paste.

3. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,318

Ooo, look!

A government school grad shows up!!!!

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,882
    Something has to be done, the public schools are not doing what they should be.

I would not put my child in a public school these days. Maybe 1-2 around the area, but that's it.

My state isn't that bad with schools though, neither is my area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I used to be a very vocal advocate for homeschooling. I still am not against it, but I stopped advocating. I stopped advocating because I am dead tired of the pompous attitudes as represented above in the place you should last see them: the church. (The Babylon Bee notices this as well and roundly roasts it.)

So everyone knows: I am an evangelical Christian conservative who teaches in the public schools. The attitude I often see about public school CHILDREN, among Christians, is abhorrent. The attitude is "those kids". It is not Christ-like at all. That's when I found I could not stick up for homeschoolers in the staff lounge. It is true that my colleagues unfairly criticize homeschooling, because it is true that homeschooling works, in most cases. Not all, but most.

But you lost me as an advocate because of the way homeschoolers come across. See above. And, I'm sure, see below. Those not in the Body of Christ will do as they do. Those in the Body really, should really really check themselves in my opinion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    By the way that last quote is a polemic of conservatives that is so hyperbolic it's ridiculous. It's in fact stupid. And I say this as a conservative.

7. Marion Morrison

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,882
    My problem with homeschooling is the lack of social interaction that comes from

attending school with other children, as well as the social events and programs and all that. Sports, Drama, Baseball, ..whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Well, see, that's the thing. The public schools are as diverse as America. You have public schools in Berkeley California, and in downtown New York City and in Little Town Nebraska. They are not, in fact, "The public schools". They are your town schools. The state does not ship in teachers from "liberal indoctrination centers"....(insert rolled eyes here). They generally come, if not from your town, from very nearby. So they really look like the people around you, for the most part.

It's true that universities have some part in influencing students to be liberal minded. But those students then get a job. And earn a paycheck. And usually buy a house and get married and have kids. And that has the same effect on teachers it has on everyone. I have worked in two states, three districts and many many schools due to the nature of my particular teaching job, and I really don't work with many "flaming libs". Most teachers are what I would call "soft liberals"--if they're Democrats, they're not the agitating sorts. And they most certainly do not "indoctrinate" children to be liberals. Um, we're too busy teaching!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Marion Morrison

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,882
    You know, I grew with some of the people that are running the schools around here these days, they're good people.

It's probably different in California.

10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,318

I'm a homeschooler.

And it's not about religion...it's about education.
    There's no comparison between what we do, and what government schooling does.

"...study validates homeschoolers’ exceptional academic achievement. In a poll conducted by Ray, homeschooled students achieved scores in the 86th to the 89th percentile, compared to the standard 50th percentile for those enrolled in government schools. Interestingly, the homeschooled students who had neither parent certified as a teacher performed as well as those who had a parent that was a certified teacher, by a margin of 88 percent to 87 percent.

Furthermore, on college entrance exams, homeschoolers routinely score higher than public school students. On the 2014 Standardized Achievement Test (SAT), homeschoolers on average scored a 567 in critical reading, 521 in mathematics, and 535 in writing. How did the public school students perform on the same test? Quite a bit lower, as the national average for all public school students was 497 in critical reading, 513 in mathematics, and 487 in writing."
    Liam Sigler - Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Education: The Homeschooling Option

How about giving credit where it's due?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1