Where's the Liberal Outcry? Obama/Biden voted for Hawaii Secession

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
"The Senator (Akaka) attempted to backtrack on a highly inflammatory statement he made in a 2005 interview on National Public Radio, during which he admitted the Akaka Bill could lead to Hawaii’s secession from the United States. His 2005 statement, which he unsuccessfully attempted to clarify a couple of days later, sent shockwaves throughout political and media circles across the country."

"The only advocate who was comprehensive and charismatic was Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, D-IL, who shared personal insights as a former resident of Hawaii on how the bill will help Hawaii."

Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter

I would like to have them address this. I hope it comes up.

I would like to have Sara address the AIP and her husband's membership. I hope it comes up.

"The Senator (Akaka) attempted to backtrack on a highly inflammatory statement he made in a 2005 interview on National Public Radio, during which he admitted the Akaka Bill could lead to Hawaii’s secession from the United States. His 2005 statement, which he unsuccessfully attempted to clarify a couple of days later, sent shockwaves throughout political and media circles across the country."

"The only advocate who was comprehensive and charismatic was Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, D-IL, who shared personal insights as a former resident of Hawaii on how the bill will help Hawaii."

Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter

YEAs for Cloture -- 56

Akaka (D-HI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carper (D-DE)
Clinton (D-NY)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagel (R-NE)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
McCain (R-AZ)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Obama (D-IL)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Wyden (D-OR)

Doesn't look like he voted to secede from anything unless John McCain wanted to secede Hawaii too.

There's no "outcry" because you chose to either deliberately lie about the bill, or you are completely misinformed about it.

It has nothing to do with seccession.

It's a bill that give native Hawaiins of polynesian descent, some of the same rights that native americans of tribal status have on the mainland.

The bill was co-sponsored by a number of republicans:

Sen. Ben Campbell [R-CO]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Sen. Gordon Smith [R-OR]
Sen. Ted Stevens [R-AK]

There's no "outcry" because you chose to either deliberately lie about the bill, or you are completely misinformed about it.

It has nothing to do with seccession.

It's a bill that give native Hawaiins of polynesian descent, some of the same rights that native americans of tribal status have on the mainland.

The bill was co-sponsored by a number of republicans:

Sen. Ben Campbell [R-CO]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Sen. Gordon Smith [R-OR]
Sen. Ted Stevens [R-AK]

:iagree:

did you even read the article before you posted it?

It doesn't say anything about the ENTIRE state of Hawaii secession, it is talking about indegenious people:

allows native Hawaiians to set up a separate government in the 50th state and act as one tribe of indigenous people, no matter where they live in the world.

This is what I found most fascinating and disturbing about the whole issue and it's not that Obama voted in favor of cloture (since McCain did too) it's this:

All Democrat Senators were willing to vote for cloture, but not necessarily for the passage of the final version, according to political staffers.

But Republicans played let’s make a deal with theirs, negotiating up until the very last minute. Organized in caucus beforehand, some Republicans who knew they would kill the cloture vote, cast their ballot in favor of the Akaka Bill because they either served on the Senate Appropriations Committee with Inouye, the co-chair, and wanted to show him the courtesy, or because they’d traded their vote with Inouye in previous sessions

Republicans play party politics in EVERY instance....they don't think for themselves and they work as a group, like a pack of wild dogs. :mad:

Well, that addresses the Hawaii thing to my satisfaction.

I would still like the Alaska AIP/Todd Palin thing addressed. The founder of this party talks about the "damn flag" of the US and says his hatred of the US government makes the fires of hell look like glaciers.

Forum List

Back