Where should the line be drawn on abortion?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by manifold, Jul 30, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,898
    Please support your assertion that women who obtain abortions would otherwise be "doomed" to remain poor and uneducated, or that their children would be poor and abused if they had them. Support your assertion that dead is preferable to poor and uneducated. Support your statement that women who are pregnant must stop to take care of a child.

And allow me to pose a question to you...do you think it's better that women who are abused continue to be abused and their children killed by an organization that doesn't properly screen for abuse, and when it finds it, doesn't report?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    China =/= U.S. Chinese issues have little bearing on U.S. law.

3. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    The majority of women who get abortions feel pressured? Please, provide substantive evidence (and the study you posted earlier does not prove this claim.

4. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,981
    Your cut-and-paste article misrepresents the footnoted studies.

Here's a link to the full study listed as footnote 1. http://www.medscimonit.com/fulltxt_free.php?ICID=11784

64% of American women felt pressured by others get an abortion, but the study does not specify that this pressure was coming from an abusive boyfriend or spouse. It could have been from friends, parents, or others. Further, it is a small scale research project with non-statistically representative data from 2 U.S. abortion clinics and 1 russian hospitals. Generalizing it, as you have done, is intellectually unethical.

5. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,898
    No, it's really not. I posted that to support my statement that women were frequently coerced into abortion, as a response to your comment that I hadn't supported that.

And the study is fine. The Medical Science Monitor International Medical Journal for Experimental and Clincial Research had no problem with it, which is why they published it...and based on their acceptance of it, I accept it as well. This publication is peer reviewed.

"Medical Science Monitor is an international, peer-reviewed scientific journal that publish original articles in experimental and clinical medicine and related disciplines such as molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, biophysics, bio- and medical technology. "

"...The registered manuscripts are sent to independent experts for scientific evaluation. We encourage authors to suggest the names of possible reviewers, but we reserve the right of final selection. The evaluation process usually takes 1-3 months. Submitted papers are accepted for publication after a positive opinion of the independent reviewers. Authors should return a corrected paper within 3 months."

It passed muster.

http://www.medscimonit.com/page.php?IDpage=21&p=4

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. Borillar

Borillar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,946
    It was your contention that these women are likely to be abused, yes? Is it a stretch to think that if they had children, they would also be abused?

A woman is trying to get ahead by attending college. College is expensive. She gets pregnant and decides to (or is coerced into) carry to term. She is forced to drop out in order to care for the baby because child care is expensive, and being a full time mother is time consuming, demanding, and also expensive. Without the college degree, she is less in demand in the work force and has to scrape by on menial jobs. Between motherhood and work, where is the time or money to try and go back to school?

I did not make the assertion that dead is preferable to poor and uneducated. In some cases though, it might be a matter of taste. Some people think it is better to die in childbirth, starve in misery, or die in a war than to have never lived at all.

My own preference would be adoption. I was adopted, my father in law was adopted, and I have an adopted son who is now an adult with 2 adopted kids of his own. If my 13 year old daughter were raped and got pregnant, I would support abortion in that case.

As far as the abuse questions go, of course I don't think that women should be abused, nor do I think they should remain in an abusive relationship. I don't know if domestic abuse is something that is part of planned parenthood's charter. Perhaps it should be. Should that disqualify a person seeking an abortion? Perhaps the woman wants to get away and doesn't want to carry her abuser's child.

7. copsnrobbers

copsnrobbers I call it as I see it

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Where should the line be drawn on abortion?

Right about where the head of the unborn child is about to be crushed.

8. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,898
    Preference and taste have no place when it comes to determining whether another person should live or not. And your personal hypotheticals do not support your previous assertions.

There is no evidence that abortion reduces the incidence of child abuse/neglect/poverty. There is plenty of evidence that coercion is a very real issue when it comes to women obtaining abortions (64 percent maintain that they were pressured..that's a huge number).

9. Borillar

Borillar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,946
    Yes, obviously children born into a situation where there is domestic abuse, neglect, and poverty will suddenly transform everything into goodness and light. There is probably just as much coercion wrt women carrying to term.

As far as preference and taste, neither yours or mine count for anything. We have settled case law supported by the 9th, 10th, and 14th amendments to the constitution supporting a woman's right to choose. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Where to draw the line on abortion? Late term only.