Government Regulations

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Lumpy 1, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,847
    Are they limiting individual rights, stifling business , giving to much power over to the government, wasting money etc?

My opinion.. Yup

as an example in California.....(just the tip of the iceberg)

Californians are well aware of the costs of income, property and sales taxes. However, sometimes the hidden costs of regulation go unnoticed. These regulations are present every single day in every Californian’s life: what kind of light bulbs we can buy, what age our children must be in a car seat while driving, what food we buy and how we cook it, right down to the volume of our television commercials. The costs of regulations are imposed upon businesses and passed directly to the consumers in the form of high prices and limited choices. It is difficult to quantify the total costs of regulations; suffice it to say the cumulative burden is staggering. And the cost of complying with excessive government mandates on businesses are directly borne by every man, woman and child.

Excessive Government Regulations Are Strangling California Businesses :: Fox&Hounds

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Oh well, at least the taxes are low in California...:eusa_whistle:

3. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

Depends on the regulation, doesnt it?

I mean I really like my food not to contain poison in it. I like for my beef to actually be beef, my milk to actually be milk. I like for my cars to not explode on their own while Im driving down the road ( though soemtiems wish the guy who just cut me off or is driving slow in the fast lane wouldnt be so lucky )

Like you said, excessive regulations can stifle business and I agree. The difference of opinion we would then have, at least in my opinion, is : what is excessive?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,562
    Do you really believe that corporations are going to poison your food if not for regulation? Really? They would go out of business in about 3.3 minutes if they ever poisoned anyone.

All of the reasons given for why regulation is needed is simply make believe. If a company wants to stay in business (and they do) and continue to make money (and they do), they are going to provide a product that is good for their consumers.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Did the company that imported and distributed posion Heparin that killed people go out of business? Nope they are still in business.

6. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

Upton Sinclairs The jungle was required reading in my Aermican Literature class growing up.

You should give it a read and keep in mind that such things actually went on before the FDA and regulations.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  7. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    The question is what is really needed, and what is the most cost effective way to resolve the issue at hand. Writing a new gov't regulation may not be the best answer, and may not really solve the problem over the long run either.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    this is true, however many just see 2 alternatives and more complex solutions elude them.
    Regulate or not to regulate is their only possible solutions.
    Whereas the correct answer may be to dereg something and regulate something else in another way.

Such as I would like to see a law regulating corruption be that if a corporation defrauds the govt their penalty is 200% of the money they defraduded the government of.
    let it not just be a cost of doing business ie they defrauded 2 million and pay 100k in fines.
    That would be a broad regulation that would cure lots of problems.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  9. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I agree. Regulation for regulations sake is not desirable. However, we are once again at the point where we need to decide on "what is needed" and what is the most "cost effective"?

10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    The Jungle was about what went on at Giant Feed Lots amirite? My solution is to break up monopolistic companies like ConAgra and go back to more local farming.