Where is Chris?...May Jobs "Growth" plummets

Did you know Bush presided over 6 1/2 years of a down market?
How's that again?

chart of Dow Jones Average 2000-present

djia2000s.png

Maybe you're thinking of something else.

With an economy as big as the US economy, many times it takes years for the bubble to pop. Everything didn't fall apart the day Obama took office. It's like American jobs. Republicans, working with the Chamber of Commerce and China didn't move millions of American jobs to China overnight. It took nearly the entire 8 years of the Bush administration for that to happen. That is not only recent history, but common sense.

How's that again?

djia2000s.png

With an economy as big as the US economy, many times it takes years for the bubble to pop. Everything didn't fall apart the day Obama took office. It's like American jobs. Republicans, working with the Chamber of Commerce and China didn't move millions of American jobs to China overnight. It took nearly the entire 8 years of the Bush administration for that to happen. That is not only recent history, but common sense.

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH:lol:

Strange - Chris normally makes at least 20 threads about Jobs Growth...hmm...hasn't made any about April and May...wonder why??

oh and hey get a load of this, Edthecynic says that a major factor as to why the labor force participation rate is down is due to retirees leaving the work force ............and when I ask him why the jobs being filled by new workers after the retirees leave is not counted as job created in the employment figures he won't answer me......so this month, how many retirees left the work force? god knows....:lol:

Why would they be counted as created jobs?

so, when an unemployed person gets a job, it doesn't move the needle? :eusa_eh:

Outsourcing of manufacturing doesn't explain the trend. That would just make it harder to get a job, increasing unemployment rate. Yet when you look at unemployment in 2001 of around 4.7% then in 2006 at 4.6%, it should have been easier to get a job, not harder, yet labor force participation fell by over 1%

Hmm...well one thing is government taxpayer funded 2-3 year party tickets for whoever wants to party for as long as they can get away with it (attend college). Use to, before the government drove tuition through the roof, kids would work their way through college - with full tuition plus money for room and board - kids no longer have to work.
That would definitely be a part of it.

Dude, you've watched Animal House to many times. I graduated with an undergrad in engineering in 1990. I attended again in 2001, graduating with an MBA in '05. I can guarantee you that the majority of college students are to busy studying to party. None of them are attending as long as they can. And the majority of them are either working or being responsible to someone else, usually a spouse, that is helping them out.

And they are all serious as fuck when it comes to studying and making the grade. If they wanted to party, they wouldn't have bothered to be there.

I agree, but I also think it depends on the area of study. I attended Jr. college in Santa Cruz and took theater arts and art, tennis, volleyball and went to a lot of parties. An awful lot.

A year or so later, I joined the military and when I completed by commitment, I went to a university here in Chicago and studied engineering. It was the most difficult thing I ever did. I worked full time during the day and went to school part time at night. Every weekend, every vacation, every evening was study. Calculus I, II, III and Differential Linear Equations, Physics, both digital and analog as well as classic Physics. Computer languages, computer design, Senior Design Project and so on and on and on. Halfway through I lost a lot of confidence. I caught pneumonia twice. Was it worth it? I believe it was, now, but there were no parties, not for years.

Salaries rise for engineers despite higher unemployment - Computerworld

Last edited by a moderator:
How's that again?

djia2000s.png

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH:lol:

I'm glad we both recognize the origin of so many problems.

um...yeah...it is called outsourcing manufacturing.
Has no one noticed just how many 20 somethings are still living with their parents with no job? Seriously - they are everywhere. I don't think this has ever been like this before.

Outsourcing of manufacturing doesn't explain the trend. That would just make it harder to get a job, increasing unemployment rate. Yet when you look at unemployment in 2001 of around 4.7% then in 2006 at 4.6%, it should have been easier to get a job, not harder, yet labor force participation fell by over 1%

Hmm...well one thing is government taxpayer funded 2-3 year party tickets for whoever wants to party for as long as they can get away with it (attend college). Use to, before the government drove tuition through the roof, kids would work their way through college - with full tuition plus money for room and board - kids no longer have to work.

The human brain doesn't fully develop until like 23-25 anyways. The frontal lobe, where we make our best decision, needs that extra time. We are better off, as a society and a workforce, extending education. We need education in medical services, education that can't be done on the job. Technical education has become tremendously diversified and necessary. Phlebotomy, automotive, medical tech, I think it's all important and if we can give young adults the opportunity to extend their education beyond high school, it will make for a stronger nation and economy.

The human brain doesn't fully develop until like 23-25 anyways. The frontal lobe, where we make our best decision, needs that extra time. We are better off, as a society and a workforce, extending education. We need education in medical services, education that can't be done on the job. Technical education has become tremendously diversified and necessary. Phlebotomy, automotive, medical tech, I think it's all important and if we can give young adults the opportunity to extend their education beyond high school, it will make for a stronger nation and economy.

we hit a high in 2009, due in a large part to comm. college enrollment. its cyclical and bends upward when the economy goes south. if you're a bloke who entered a 2 year prgm in 2009, you mat stay, theres not much out here, that is if your field offers worthwhile adv. deg. or objectives. In another year, those folks may be out of luck too.

The problem is it appears, exponential, if the 4 year grads in the last 3 years are under employed, it stacks up.

What are you not getting here?
Not everyone belongs in a 4 year degree program.
Not everyone has the smarts...but the government makes no account for that and basically just hands out money to whoever applies.
30 years ago there were many, many trade schools and heating/air/plumbing/carpentry etc. etc. etc. programs...a lot of them are gone. Enrolment in high school vocational schools are in a steep decline because kids are being taught that without a degree you are screwed - so everyone - no matter their chances of actually succeeding - are lining up for government grants and loans to go to college - where 60-80% ARE FAILING.
Get it??? It is a colossal waste of money to not consider merit.

Last edited:
no, I recognize BS. the boooooossh crap is dead. hes gone, have you heard? 3 years and change.

You can't fix in three years what it took 8 years to destroy. Wrecking things is so much easier. It's rebuilding them, which Republican won't do, that's difficult.

we hit a high in 2009, due in a large part to comm. college enrollment. its cyclical and bends upward when the economy goes south. if you're a bloke who entered a 2 year prgm in 2009, you mat stay, theres not much out here, that is if your field offers worthwhile adv. deg. or objectives. In another year, those folks may be out of luck too.

The problem is it appears, exponential, if the 4 year grads in the last 3 years are under employed, it stacks up.

Depends on the field their degree is in. You know, if you ever read the links, you could learn enough to debate. It would make things interesting.

Not everyone has the smarts...but the government makes no account for that and basically just hands out money to whoever applies.
30 years ago there were many, many trade schools and heating/air/plumbing/carpentry etc. etc. etc. programs...a lot of them are gone. Enrolment in high school vocational schools are in a steep decline because kids are being taught that without a degree you are screwed - so everyone - no matter their chances of actually succeeding - are lining up for government grants and loans to go to college - where 60-80% ARE FAILING.

Only right wingers say that because they are ignorant.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A]Santorum: Obama "A Snob" For Wanting Everyone To Go To College - YouTube[/ame]

Santorum was referring to a speech Obama made about job training. In the speech, Obama said no company would turn over a million dollar piece of equipment to something who hadn't learned how it works. Obama was talking about trade schools, not just college. But right wingers hate Obama so much, they only hear what they want to. They can't take responsibility for any of their failed policies and can't even see something that would be a success, even when it's explained in a manner a two year old could understand.

30 years ago there were many, many trade schools and heating/air/plumbing/carpentry etc. etc. etc. programs...a lot of them are gone. Enrolment in high school vocational schools are in a steep decline because kids are being taught that without a degree you are screwed - so everyone - no mattgo read you rmind.ter their chances of actually succeeding - are lining up for government grants and loans to go to college - where 60-80% ARE FAILING.

2-3 year party tickets for whoever wants to party for as long as they can get away with it (attend college)

Learn to express yourself accurately and precisely. It's not my job to read your mind.

Maybe you might try one of those 2-3 year "party" programs. I hear that you spend a lot of time learning to wright coherent paragraphs.

Depends on the field their degree is in. You know, if you ever read the links, you could learn enough to debate. It would make things interesting.

:lol:

30 years ago there were many, many trade schools and heating/air/plumbing/carpentry etc. etc. etc. programs...a lot of them are gone. Enrolment in high school vocational schools are in a steep decline because kids are being taught that without a degree you are screwed - so everyone - no mattgo read you rmind.ter their chances of actually succeeding - are lining up for government grants and loans to go to college - where 60-80% ARE FAILING.

2-3 year party tickets for whoever wants to party for as long as they can get away with it (attend college)

Learn to express yourself accurately and precisely. It's not my job to read your mind.

Maybe you might try one of those 2-3 year "party" programs. I hear that you spend a lot of time learning to wright coherent paragraphs.

sir snark is back.....meltdown imminent?

rdean's definition of debate: fellate obama.

How's that again?

[/CENTER]

The Dow Jones has little to do with the health of the economy. It is, essentially, meaningless.

Maybe your confusing the economic markets with stock market.

You might consider looking at Real GDP output, employment, consumer credit, bankruptcies, income levels, and a host of the measures of the actual economy. Surely you know that the stock market isn't included in GDP for a reason and is a lagging indicator of economic health.

Here is the long view of employment. Notice anything unusual about the trend starting in 2001?

EmpLFRates.gif

How about real dollar gasoline prices? Notice anything unusual about the trend starting in 2001?

GasPricesReal.gif

Forum List

Back