Where In The Constitution Does It Say This?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    1/11 NYTimes editorial, my question is the purpose of the tax system. Seems to me that no matter how you stretch it, 'general welfare' in meaning income theft from one group to give to another is the reason for the tax system?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/o...e30190b8f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Great question.

In law school, I wrote a paper arguing that the only legitimate federal spending was in support of Article I powers. That means the bulk of taxing and spending by the federal government is unConstitutional. There is no Constitutional authority for welfare, Social Security, the Dept. of Education, you name it.

I even asked my Constitutional law professor: if it's Constitutional to tax 15 or 30 percent of our incomes, why not 99 percent? He said, "no problem" (legally, that is). Now THAT is a scary thought.

It all makes a mockery of the idea of limited government. The federal government has assumed UNLIMITED POWER to tax and spend --- any time, anywhere, for any purpose, at any amount. And see how they do!

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree, the legislature is charged with 'levying taxes', but where for the purpose of mitigating inequality? LOL! Methinks the NYTimes needs better editors for writing their main editorial?

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yeah, that's unusually awkward liberal bias, even for the Times. How about the raising armies part? Better phrased, "I, Sally Bignose Liberal, believe that taxes are great and grand because they help to mitigage inequality. But..."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    To my mind the only things government should be doing are things the people can't do for themselves. First it should be asked, why can't I do it myself? Then, ok 'we' need a park, put it to the town, city, etc., vote/referendum. Ok, we need an interstate, whoops that would be federal-but why not with a fixed time attached for collecting taxes? On the state level in IL, we pay tolls-which have already paid for each of the tollroads multiple times, the rates were raised last year. :rolleyes:

6. Redhots

Redhots Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Where in the constitution does it say I can't drive 55?

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It doesn't matter, since speed limits, including those on federal highways, are set at the state level.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not playing that game, but carry on.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hmmm, understanding federal government and state government.

10. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    As much as I beat up on charities for being poorly ran, and getting less than 40% of "donated"monies out to those that it was given to. Government is WORST.

The COST of our government, just at the Federal level is I'm sure, mind boggling.

Add in the cost of State, and local costs, and we're lucky if the government can hit the 40% mark.

I grow weary of this burden.

Governments job is NOT to despence welfare, nor to be involved in retraining, retirement, providing medical benefits, or any number of other services, that have been added to the docket over the years. Just look at the amount of payroll, that the government must spend just to administer these programs.

The number one job of the Federal government is protecting this country , and its world wide security. The rest is lefty feel good bull pucky, and is costing this country more than just money.