Where Do We Come From?

Mesopotamia.

The Fertile Crescent, between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

1. According to the Bible, Noah survived the great flood, and we find Noah's great-grandson, Nimrod, building the Tower of Babel.

So how many different creatures did Noah take with him on the ark?

How did Noah get komodo dragons on the ark?

And Galapagos tortoises?

The komodo dragons probably would have eaten the Galapagos tortoises.

How were all the animals fed?

An interesting question....but one easily answered by any with even a rudimentary knowledge of the subject on which you've chosen to respond.

1. 'Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate, 3 and seven pairs of the birds of the heavens also, male and female, to keep their offspring alive on the face of all the earth.'
Genesis 7:2-3

2. 'Unclean animals were boarded in pairs, but clean animals were boarded in larger numbers (7 pairs), possibly to be used as food for the carnivorous animals, though the text does not specify. See Genesis 6-9 for the full account. "
How did Noah feed the carnivorous animals in his Ark Did he took with him animals just to use them as food Yahoo Answers

There are 10,000 species of birds. 7 pairs means there were 140,000 birds on the Ark.

The Ark was roughly 1.5 million square feet in size, meaning that each bird had roughly 10 square feet of space, assuming that the birds took up all the space on the Ark. How does one keep 140,000 birds on the Ark? How did they not fly away? And how did Noah go all the way to Colorado to get 14 Gunnison sage-grouses?

Mesopotamia.

The Fertile Crescent, between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

1. According to the Bible, Noah survived the great flood, and we find Noah's great-grandson, Nimrod, building the Tower of Babel.

a. "The first mention of Nimrod is in the Table of Nations.[3]He is described as the son of Cush, grandson of Ham, and great-grandson of Noah; and as "mighty in the earth" and "a mighty hunter before the Lord". This is repeated in the First Book of Chronicles 1:10, and the "Land of Nimrod" used as a synonym for Assyria or Mesopotamia, is mentioned in the Book of Micah5:6" Nimrod - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

b. "The Generations of Noah or Table of Nations(Genesis 10 of the Hebrew Bible) is a traditional ethnology representing the expansion of humankind from the descendants of Noah and their dispersion into many lands after the Flood.[1]The 70 names in the list express symbolically the unity of the human race, corresponding to the 70 descendants of Israel who go down into Egypt with Jacob at Genesis 46:27, and the 70 elders of Israel who visit God with Moses at the covenant ceremony in Exodus 24:1-9.[2]

As Christianity took over the Roman world, it adopted the idea that all the world's peoples were descended from Noah."
Generations of Noah - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

2. Nimrod's was the first kingdom in Mesopotamia, and included the metropolis of Ur, a city of the Chaldeans.

According to the historian Josephus, the Chaldeans were originally called the Arphaxadites, having descended from Shem's son Arphaxad..."This is the accountof Shem’s family line.

Two years after the flood, when Shem was 100 years old, he became the father of Arphaxad." Genesis 11:10. And Abram, later Abraham, father of three great religions, lived in Ur and was a descendent of Arphaxad.

3. The Chaldeans were quite an advanced civilization. "They have a 5,500-year history dating back to Mesopotamia—the cradle of civilization—which is present day Iraq. According to the Old Testament (Gen. 11:31), Abraham was from the city of Ur—which is identified as “Ur of the Chaldeans,” the city of his ancestors....the first civilization to:

· Invent the wheel

· Discover how to make glass

· Discover astronomy

· Use a writing system (cuneiform)

· Invent the yearly calendar, composed of 360 days and 12 months (and the 60-second minute and 60-minute hour)

· Use weights and measures, which were standardized in Babylon around 2,500 B.C.

· Hammurabi’s Code, which was a revolutionary step in the development of fairness and equality under the law.

· In 600 B.C., Nebuchadnezzar built the “Hanging Gardens of Babylon” (one of the original Seven Wonders of the Ancient World) to console his queen who missed the mountains and greenery of her native Media."
A Rich History Chaldean Community Foundation
The Great Flood & Noah??? But that would demolish your prior argument that monotheism's sky pixie (yours) is any more civilized than atheists (me). In fact, it proves quite the opposite. I mentioned Noah & the flood and there were *crickets* from you :lol: Thanks for clarifying that :thup:

Last edited:
Nonsense. I'll tell you how the sealife renewed...Godditit.
How did non-fish eating animals suddenly start eating fish? Godditit.
Non-scavengers get used to eating dead critters floating in the sea? Godditit.
Need space in your boat for the 10,000 or so species of birds alone? Godditit.

Who needs to critically analyze texts and think through the story? Just turn off your brain and repeat after me, Godditit.

Excellent points.

Instead of God telling Noah to build a giant floating boat, and organizing the most difficult logistical exercise of gathering two of everything of some 20,000 species of the earth plus 7 pairs of other things to fill 1.5 million square feet of space to go on a 40-day cruise around the world, why didn't God just levitate two of everything and zap all the sinners? Wouldn't that have been easier?

How long can animals survive like that though? We're talking 40 days for the rain, an unknown amount of time floating, waiting for the waters to recede, then waiting for prey stocks to rebuild, and time to get to their new homes (platypus isn't known in the Levant after all). Plus, after the ark settled, how long was it before enough plant life regrew to support all those critters?

So....you insist on the literal interpretation?

"Methusaleh lived nine hundred years
Methusaleh lived nine hundred years
But who calls that livin'
When no gal would give in
To no man what's nine hundred years"
Porgy and Bess

Perhaps there is allegory involved.

Duhhhh.....

So how many different creatures did Noah take with him on the ark?

And Galapagos tortoises?

An interesting question....but one easily answered by any with even a rudimentary knowledge of the subject on which you've chosen to respond.

1. 'Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate, 3 and seven pairs of the birds of the heavens also, male and female, to keep their offspring alive on the face of all the earth.'

2. 'Unclean animals were boarded in pairs, but clean animals were boarded in larger numbers (7 pairs), possibly to be used as food for the carnivorous animals, though the text does not specify. See Genesis 6-9 for the full account. "
How did Noah feed the carnivorous animals in his Ark Did he took with him animals just to use them as food Yahoo Answers

There are 10,000 species of birds. 7 pairs means there were 140,000 birds on the Ark.

The Ark was roughly 1.5 million square feet in size, meaning that each bird had roughly 10 square feet of space, assuming that the birds took up all the space on the Ark. How does one keep 140,000 birds on the Ark? How did they not fly away? And how did Noah go all the way to Colorado to get 14 Gunnison sage-grouses?

Know how to keep an idiot in suspense?

I'll tell you later.

And Galapagos tortoises?

Know how to keep an idiot in suspense?

I'll tell you later.

OK, I'll be waiting.

While investigating this topic I went to our favorite site, wikipedia. In full disclosure, I've not only contributed to the site, but have had some communication with same while I was involved in a political campaign.

I have found that our pal wikipedia leans Left, and regularly veers away from a traditional and/or religious view.

Case in point....take a look at their poke at the Abrahamic story.....and then at several other sources including the encyclopedia britancia...

OK...here's wikipedia:

5. " In the Hebrew Bible, the prophet Abraham is stated to have originally been from "Ur of the Chaldees" (Ur Kaśdim); if this city is to be identified with the ancient Sumerian city state of Ur, it would be within what would many centuries later become the Chaldean homeland south of the Euphrates, although it must be pointed out that the Chaldeans certainly did not exist in Mesopotamia (or anywhere else in historical record) at the time that Abraham is believed to have existed (circa 1800-1700 BC), arriving some eight or nine hundred years later.[9]This fact casts serious doubt on the chronological accuracy andhistoricityof the Abrahamic story."
Chaldea - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So....should we throw out the traditional 'Abrahamic story'?

wikipedia takes the secular view of all things at all times, similar to the teaching in most schools and universities.....which might explain the sneering tone that several in this very thread have taken.

What if I can provide a very different view....based on scholarship?

Last edited:
I keep waiting for the commies to enter the picture. They must enter someplace along here as so far the story is somewhat meaningless without commies and FDR.

While investigating this topic I went to our favorite site, wikipedia. In full disclosure, I've not only contributed to the site, but have had some communication with same while I was involved in a political campaign.

I have found that our pal wikipedia leans Left, and regularly veers away from a traditional and/or religious view.

Case in point....take a look at their poke at the Abrahamic story.....and then at several other sources including the encyclopedia britancia...

OK...here's wikipedia:

5. " In the Hebrew Bible, the prophet Abraham is stated to have originally been from "Ur of the Chaldees" (Ur Kaśdim); if this city is to be identified with the ancient Sumerian city state of Ur, it would be within what would many centuries later become the Chaldean homeland south of the Euphrates, although it must be pointed out that the Chaldeans certainly did not exist in Mesopotamia (or anywhere else in historical record) at the time that Abraham is believed to have existed (circa 1800-1700 BC), arriving some eight or nine hundred years later.[9]This fact casts serious doubt on the chronological accuracy andhistoricityof the Abrahamic story."
Chaldea - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

So....should we throw out the traditional 'Abrahamic story'?

wikipedia takes the secular view of all things at all times, similar to the teaching in most schools and universities.....which might explain the sneering tone that several in this very thread have taken.

What if I can provide a very different view....based on scholarship?
What religious belief should wikipedia have?

Most likely organic material hitching a ride on a meteor, evolution and environmental factors had play time and boom. Here we are.

Forum List

Back