Where do jobs come from?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by manu1959, Nov 1, 2004.

1. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    the govt. does not create jobs

the govt. creates conditions which in turn causes companies to expand, stabalize, contract, or leave.

which party supports the employer and which party supports the employed

and the question on the moment is: which is required at the moment?

2. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I belive from history that the way Bush is going about it is the right way. Hopefully he will win tommorw to prove it.

3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The best things that the government can do is to lower taxes, and get rid of unnecessary regulations on economic activity.

The Founding Fathers had a vision of a limited government. However, since the time of FDR, we've been hoodwinked into believing that we need the government for everything. Actually, the politicians need us. The way they get a job is to scare us into believing that we need another government program or that "they have a plan". Government programs are often times ineffective and their real purpose is to buy votes from us to the benefit of politicians (and we wind up paying the bill).

True, government is necessary for some things e.g. running the military, building roads and looking after the public health. We probably could cut out nearly half of government programs and not even feel it (except in a good way).

4. drowe

drowe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    America’s economy is a reflection of two famous economists (well as famous as economists can be) and their principles:

Adam Smith - limited Government involvement (around the time of The Declaration Of Independence)

John Maynard Keynes - more govt involvement (hit the scene around 1930's and FDR's New Deal ushered in Big govt shortly thereafter).

FDR employed many Keynesian economic policies in his New Deal, which was challenged by many as leaning too close to statism. However, America was comfortable with statism compared to living in poverty during the depression. Moreover, the New deal was only to get us through the Depression which it did until WWII. But America still has not been able to rid itself of her big government tendencies. These tendencies include an overwhelming idea from the American public that the economy is controlled by the government. And boy do some politicians play to this ignorance.

It is also interesting to note:

5. winston churchi

winston churchi Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It will forever suprise me that people expect unlce sam to find them a job.

I was watching the news - it doesnt seem to matter where or when - and a crowd of people were standing around with signs. One man said to the reporter....

Bush hasn't been able to get me a job...

So basically he was voting - if he can find his way to the voting poll that is -for Kerry. Because 'Bush' couldn't find HIM a job. He rambled on about supporting a family.....

I did not realize the President, commander and chief of this country was responsible for finding Joe Moron a job?
    Now I realize God blessed us with a brain to think and a body to move around it and if we put the two together we might be able to go about our business and find a job - but now I didn't realize the government would actually find people jobs.

Does this man believe Kerry will find a job also?

I guess Kerry will do that. Then he wont do that - but then he will before he wont while is doing that as he can't do it now but will tomarow - Kerry's flip flopping....

6. drowe

drowe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, my brother-in-law commented to me a month or two ago that he has been poor ever since Bush has been in office. I had to explain the deal to him because he was buying in to the hype; luckily he is intelligent enough to comprehend the facts in the face of the media’s spin and Kerry’s rhetoric. He’s since gotten off his ass and landed an incredibly higher paying job.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    jobs come from rich people with a plan.

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Or anyone who is dedicated and willing to work hard.

9. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This looks like a good spot for my favorite quote, LOL!!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." ~ Thomas A. Edison
    :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    That's true too. A hard worker with a cohesive plan for organizing the daily efforts of others in a profitable fashion, also creates jobs. You needn't be rich actually.