Where did you get your faith from?

roomy said:
I was raised as a christian in the church of England and grew up believing that God must exist because the grown ups told me so and I had read the bible,which also confirmed his existence, but I cannot remember ever having any faith in God.As I grew older and started to question the bible and gods existence I gradually came to the conclusion that God doesn't and never has existed.I am an athiest, I think I understand how you can be taught that god exists but where do you find the faith to believe that he exists?I hope that makes sense to you.

I'm on the same page as you. The vast majority were brought up with it and believed. Just a matter of faith I'd say...

roomy said:
I was raised as a christian in the church of England and grew up believing that God must exist because the grown ups told me so and I had read the bible,which also confirmed his existence, but I cannot remember ever having any faith in God.As I grew older and started to question the bible and gods existence I gradually came to the conclusion that God doesn't and never has existed.I am an athiest, I think I understand how you can be taught that god exists but where do you find the faith to believe that he exists?I hope that makes sense to you.

My faith comes from the feeling that the world is too complex to be an accident. I can read the Bible an find an answer to every problem that I might have. It really has nothing to do with learning faith. Faith is something that has to felt. God speaks to people in different ways. It may be in the form of signs, feelings, or in some cases actual conversation. You really have to feel it in order to understand. I'm sorry that I can't explain it any better.

roomy said:

I believe this is the best explanation of faith.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415127&postcount=44

I, too, was raised in the church and grew up believing because I had all my life. When I got old enough to start questioning the wisdom of my elders, I took a long, hard look at my faith and came to the conclusion that the non-existance of God is, logically, the least likely scenario and that the story of Christ is more likely true than not. From there, my faith only got stronger.

roomy said:
You make it sound so easy to come by and easier still to keep.I know it must be difficuilt to explain faith and how you came by it and more importantly keep it but there has to me more to it than your pastors simple analogy?You could have asked your father.Do you feel faith?Does it have any substance as far as you are concerned?Does it control your everyday life?What is it?Are there degrees of faith?Lots of questions, I know, I have lots more, the subject is fascinating.
Faith is: being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1) Pretty nebulous definition, isn't it?

I can't define faith. I can't tell you where mine started. I was raised Catholic, so I had the advantage of hearing about Jesus my life long. But that wasn't what gave me my personal faith.

Onthefence's description was, I thought, perfect. With Christianity, it isn't so much WHAT you believe (although, that is important), but the RELATIONSHIP you have with God/Christ.

I feel faith, because I feel love for my Abba (God). It's the same as with any other relationship. You make time for God, talk to Him, do things to please Him, etc. These actions are the substance, along with the written Word of God (the Bible).

Does it control my life. No. Unfortunately, I am perfectly capable of making assinine decisions that completely contradict my faith. I do so regularly. But my faith guides my life. It's the goal toward which I strive.

Are there degrees of faith? Certainly. I am closer to my best friend than I am to other acquaintances. The difference in degree is the difference in the closeness of the relationship.

Sorry I can't be more concrete in these answers. But I believe that God made it this way on purpose. He doesn't want to FORCE us into a relationship with Him; He wants us to seek HIM, He wants us to have a CHOICE. If God were to now reveal Himself in all His glory (as I know He will, someday), No one could deny Him. Then where would the choice be? God doesn't want puppets, but rather children who freely choose to love Him. That's why it's a challenge to find Him. But, He also promises that if you truly seek Him, you WILL find Him.

Frisbeetarian.

The Pastafarians tried to recruit me.

It didn't work.

My faith is strong.

LOki said:
Frisbeetarian.

The Pastafarians tried to recruit me.

It didn't work.

My faith is strong.

attachment.php

Faith is such an interesting word, in general I would say my faith comes from people. Not from anything they say or activley do, but from the fact that they are, and the implicit action that they choose to remain to be. That is not to say people don't commit suicide, but that the vast majority (suprisingly) do not.

The faith I speak of is not inherently in God, but in our ability to have hope. Hume and Descartes in terms of Skepticism have generally proven, in my mind, that existence requires faith. Simple cause and effect require faith. You cannot you say you do not have have faith, simply that you choose to ignore your choice to observe it.

Faith in God is something inherently different. It is the difference between saying I believe, and I believe in God. Faith for me is something that does not need to be justified by reason. Thus to ask for a reason is something contrary, and in bad faith. In the most general sense I do not believe in God, I believe in people, a far rarer faith IMHO.

Phaedrus said:
Faith is such an interesting word, in general I would say my faith comes from people. Not from anything they say or activley do, but from the fact that they are, and the implicit action that they choose to remain to be. That is not to say people don't commit suicide, but that the vast majority (suprisingly) do not.

The faith I speak of is not inherently in God, but in our ability to have hope. Hume and Descartes in terms of Skepticism have generally proven, in my mind, that existence requires faith. Simple cause and effect require faith. You cannot you say you do not have have faith, simply that you choose to ignore your choice to observe it.

Faith in God is something inherently different. It is the difference between saying I believe, and I believe in God. Faith for me is something that does not need to be justified by reason. Thus to ask for a reason is something contrary, and in bad faith. In the most general sense I do not believe in God, I believe in people, a far rarer faith IMHO.

If I'm summing this up correctly, you're saying that your faith is in humanity's ability to hope?

Phaedrus said:
My faith comes from people, my faith is in Hope, my Hope is for people.
What do you hope for them? Please don't take this as a disrespectful question. I'm sincerely wondering.

I want people to be happy, I want to people to be sad and realize they are better for it. I want people to truly live and realize that "the more you live the more you die". And most of all I want them to be alright with that. No offense taken or intended.

Note: in reference to "truly live", smoke your occasional cigar, I don't condone the unecessary use of drugs or excessive drinking. Middle path ftw.

Forum List

Back