Where did the stink bugs go?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I was outside and saw a lone stink bug and was wondering what happened to the huge infestations of past years....Come to think of it I hardly noticed any last year.....I am not aware of any particular eradication efforts in my AO.

What I see now are Spotted Lantern Flies....They are bad news.

Sigh, another import from China/Asia.

My house apparently unless they are the things you are talking about.

I was outside and saw a lone stink bug and was wondering what happened to the huge infestations of past years....Come to think of it I hardly noticed any last year.....I am not aware of any particular eradication efforts in my AO.

I only saw one or two this year up here in the inland NW. They usually swarm in September.

Insect populations seem heavily dependent on the prior year's weather.

They all immigrated to the Swamp.

They get their name for the smell when they are squashed. Maybe that's their only defense since they are clumsy fliers and are slow on the ground. I noticed a few on the screens and one or two in the house.

I saw a lot of em around my doors and siding the last warm day we had. That was last week some time.

One got inside my shirt and was crawling around.

My brother and I were blackberry picking when we both saw a huge berry. He couldn't see that on my side of the berry there was a stink bug. I pretended to lunge for it, so he grabbed it and stuck it in his mouth and started to chew it. He spit it out and I about died laughing at him.

Last edited:

Those bugs have been around the Twin Cities all summer.

My brother and I were blackberry picking when we both saw a huge berry. He couldn't see that on my side of the berry was a stink bug. I pretended to lunge for it, so he grabbed it and stuck it in his mouth and started to chew it. He spit it out and I about died laughing at him.
I had a sister like you. Taught me to be a brother just like her. LOL

I was outside and saw a lone stink bug and was wondering what happened to the huge infestations of past years
My states conservation dept was big time concerned a few years back. No natural enemy and so on.....they were everywhere. Turns out, all kinds of birds and so on have found them tasty morsels....Much to State Con's surprise. Not many around as before.

I'd expect similar results for lantern flies.

Forum List

Back