When Tuition is INSANELY HIGH, UNAFFORDABLE, why is the conversation...

The present far right GOP does not want a discussion concerning education. The very wealthy that control that party have that for their children, and the lumpenprol that support them think anything beyond the third grade is excessive.

They would rather have it about women. After all, that is what interests the lower echelon of their base. Women barefoot, pregnant, and totally under their control. Note how the GOP fights any laws concerning domestic abuse, or equal pay for women.

The OP is conflating two issues.

The first is, yes, College has become waaaaay too expensive. But a large part of that is because to even get a mediocre job, you need a college degree. I know people in my line of work (purchasing) who have 20 years + experience, but just hopped into it back in the 80's. Now almost all purchasing positions require a college degree, which is sort of insane.

However, because public education is so awful, a college degree is really the only sure way an employer knows you can actually read and do simple math. a HS diploma just means you showed up.

The converse, why is birth control such a big deal?

because, unfortunately, for better or worse, we are a society built on contraception. Once upon a time, women got married after high school, maybe college was a place to find a man, and most of them were content with being housewives.

Now, for better or worse, women are expected to remain baby-free in their college years and their first few years in the workplace and maybe, they can slip a baby out in their early 30's before their biological clocks run down. And every last one of us go along with this.

One wonders why the US makes it so difficult for it's citizens to get an education. It's free in Europe.

First of all, nothing is free. Somebody always pays.

Second, you are misinformed university students in most European countries do pay tuition, albeit much less than in the US. The bill is picked up by the taxpayer and costs are kept down by paying Professors a fairly meager salary and not investing too much in facilities and research. The effect of this on the flight of Europe's best and brightest to the US is fairly obvious.
Link to the flight of Europe's best and brightest to the US?

Well duhh! Albert Einstein of course ;)

Is it an 'outrage!' that most people can't afford to walk into a car dealership, drop a sack of cash on the table and drive off with a valuable automobile?

One wonders why the US makes it so difficult for it's citizens to get an education. It's free in Europe.

It is not free in Europe. It is tax payer funded and not always 100% depending on the country. The U.K. for instance, wants students to start chipping in more because the government can't afford to keep funding it at its current level.

Last edited:
i think we'd love the discussion to be about college. i'd particularly love the discussion to be about the destructive policies that are leading to the high cost of college, the cutting of pell grants and the fact that student loans have dried up and college is more and more becoming something that is only for the wealthy.

You've got it backwards. The high availability of Pell grants and student loans ARE the destructive policies that have made college education unaffordable.

Not at all surprising that the same people that advocate a health care system that pays twice as much for inferior results also believe that making higher education unafffordable to a high percentage of American citizens is also a good thing.

Can you please quote someone who has said making higher education unafffordable to a high percentage of American citizens is a good thing.

...birth control costs??? The cheapest (meaning least expensive) IL STATE college costs minimum $30K a year! Most schools are well beyond that. Four years equals up tp $120K at the MINIMUM! This is a 2nd first mortgage! Going to college is becoming essential to landing a decent job, but going to college is becoming unaffordable to everyone except the upper middle class or upper class!

Yet people want to talk about the affordable birth control options. First, NO plan covers condoms and condoms are the only form of birth control that prevents STDs. If you are sleeping around in college, or anywhere for that matter, then condoms should be used not the pills (or just the pill). Even if the person a has boyfriend (or girlfriend) in college they should use condoms. You don't know what your partner is doing. Be honest how many of you were loyal to your college (or even highschool), girl or boyfriends? I can honestly say I wasn't loyal to any of them! I guarantee I wasn't the only one! The pill might prevent you from getting knocked up (or knocking someone up), but it won't prevent you from getting AIDS, HERPS etc. Second, what is $9 a month, when tuition costs $3K-$5K a month! Where are the priorities. Maybe this spoiled girl should get, I don't know, a job in college!

This comes from the mindset of a father who has 3 kids and one on the way. The rising cost of college keeps me up most nights!

You're full of shit. I can tell you've never put any kids through college. It's much cheaper than that. There are even private colleges cheaper than that.

Not at all surprising that the same people that advocate a health care system that pays twice as much for inferior results also believe that making higher education unafffordable to a high percentage of American citizens is also a good thing.

Can you please quote someone who has said making higher education unafffordable to a high percentage of American citizens is a good thing.

I can quote one of your party representatives that said, "President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob."

This is a guy that you almost elected as your party pick for President.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

I can quote one of your party representatives that said, "President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob."

Says a lot, doesn't it?

It would say a lot more if you presented it in context.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

It would say a lot more if you presented it in context.

Uhhh.....it was a direct quote. :doubt:

As I am with you.

You guys bring such fantastic laughs on a continual basis I wouldnt miss it.

They say you cant buy this type of entertainment....But I have.........

No you can't.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

I don't think that makes Obama a snob, but I do disagree with the president's view. Everybody in America going to college would be foolish. Everyone going to college would result in a massive surplus of college degrees that would render them utterly useless, thus negating the whole point of going in the first place.

What we need is to get more people into vocational and trade schools because that is what we are facing a shortage of right now.

Uhhh.....it was a direct quote. :doubt:

I didn't say it wasn't, did I?

aside from the fact that the person who made the statement quoted the president "out of context" what context do you think made the snob comment acceptable?

it was pretty stupid, imo.

It was a politically stupid thing to say, for sure. He wasn't, as the hysterical left would have you believe, trying to denounce higher education. He was responding to what he percieved as an attitude on the part of the president and his ivy-encrusted ilk that a person without a college degree is a person without value as a human being. You know the "What? You didn't go to college?!" type. He was trying (in vain) to appeal in a populoust manner to people who work trades and have vocational training and/or life experience but do not measure the worth of a human being by what degree someone has and from what college. He was right in that obama and his sort are elitist snobs, but he completely failed in his delivery of what was a bad idea to begin with.

Forum List

Back