When people tell me they are sick or a friend is sick I can say "I will pray for you"

If I tell someone I will chant an incantation to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of a Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Sure, but I'm talking about a realistic scenario while you are talking about nonsense.

If a person says "I have cancer" and you know he or she believes in God, you can say "I will pray for you" and increase his or her chances of recovering through the power of positive thinking.

So why not say it?

Are you saying your integrity as an atheist is more important than the life of your friend?

We are both talking about nonsense. If the victim of a disease believes something is being done to help him, it will help him. It doesn't matter if that something is total bullshit. I don't have a problem with offering prayers to help someone feel better, but expecting a result other than pandering to the sick person's beliefs is just dumb.
You said one thing, and then said the opposite. Which do you believe?

Perhaps you just aren't paying attention. To be clear, I believe prayer in and of it's self is a useless waste of time. I also don't have a problem with offering prayer if it helps the victim of any ailment or disease to deal with that ailment. A friend died last year. One of his biggest concerns was whether the business he had worked his entire life to build would continue. I had no idea what might happen to that business, but I told him that Of Course it would survive. Sales were higher than ever, and the team he had put together was working well, just as he had hoped. He died with one less worry on his mind. I'm not opposed to offering prayer to someone who needs to believe in such, but it is nothing more than an effort to sooth the nerves of someone who chooses to believe in such nonsense.
Everyone needs to believe in something, I suppose.

I believe that after I die, I will be in a place where I will no longer have to worry about worldly problems.

And you have every right to believe that. I hope that belief gives you comfort. Just don't demand that I share your beliefs. I don't demand that you abandon what you believe, but I'll decide things like that for myself. Mind your own business, and we won't have any problems.

Sure, but I'm talking about a realistic scenario while you are talking about nonsense.

If a person says "I have cancer" and you know he or she believes in God, you can say "I will pray for you" and increase his or her chances of recovering through the power of positive thinking.

So why not say it?

Are you saying your integrity as an atheist is more important than the life of your friend?

We are both talking about nonsense. If the victim of a disease believes something is being done to help him, it will help him. It doesn't matter if that something is total bullshit. I don't have a problem with offering prayers to help someone feel better, but expecting a result other than pandering to the sick person's beliefs is just dumb.

Perhaps you just aren't paying attention. To be clear, I believe prayer in and of it's self is a useless waste of time. I also don't have a problem with offering prayer if it helps the victim of any ailment or disease to deal with that ailment. A friend died last year. One of his biggest concerns was whether the business he had worked his entire life to build would continue. I had no idea what might happen to that business, but I told him that Of Course it would survive. Sales were higher than ever, and the team he had put together was working well, just as he had hoped. He died with one less worry on his mind. I'm not opposed to offering prayer to someone who needs to believe in such, but it is nothing more than an effort to sooth the nerves of someone who chooses to believe in such nonsense.

I believe that after I die, I will be in a place where I will no longer have to worry about worldly problems.

And you have every right to believe that. I hope that belief gives you comfort. Just don't demand that I share your beliefs. I don't demand that you abandon what you believe, but I'll decide things like that for myself. Mind your own business, and we won't have any problems.
Problem is, according to my faith, your business is my business.

It's called love thy neighbor as you love yourself.

Then your faith is fucked up. That's not my problem. It's yours.

No man is an island, not even you.

If I tell someone I am praying for him, that will improve his chances of recovery if he believes in the power of prayer.

Even an atheist has to admit to that.

So atheists, why not say it?
I suppose a lie may be beneficial.

"Good luck" I guess.

Without being too funny, we say this to fellow Canadians when they say they are going to the doctor or hospital. Few have any faith in the abilities of our doctors.
Except those still alive.

Well of course. How many have had their wrong knee replaced as my wife almost did though?
Quite a lot almost have wrong procedures carried out, from what I read, but only very few have it actually happen.

"Good luck" I guess.

Without being too funny, we say this to fellow Canadians when they say they are going to the doctor or hospital. Few have any faith in the abilities of our doctors.
Except those still alive.

Well of course. How many have had their wrong knee replaced as my wife almost did though?
Quite a lot almost have wrong procedures carried out, from what I read, but only very few have it actually happen.

We are on a horrible run of late when it comes to our healthcare. Certainly in Ontario.

No man is an island, not even you.

Not sure exactly what that is supposed to mean, but I'll still make my own decisions on religion. Your help is neither required or wanted.

Christians do a lot more to help other people than non-believers.

Forum List

Back