When people tell me they are sick or a friend is sick I can say "I will pray for you"

Thank you.

I mean, it makes them feel better and it's not like it does any harm.

Thank you.

Sorry, you misunderstood the question.

The question is, for atheists, when people tell you that they're sick or a family member or friend is sick, you can't say "I will pray for you."

What do you say instead?

Thank you.

The question is, for atheists, when people tell you that they're sick or a family member or friend is sick, you can't say "I will pray for you."

What do you say instead?

Considering how many people die every day with people praying for them, it doesn't look like it does much good.

Thank you.

What do you say instead?

Considering how many people die every day with people praying for them, it doesn't look like it does much good.
You didn't answer the question.

The question is:

Someone tells you they or someone close to them is sick, has cancer maybe.

What do you, as an atheist say?

Thank you.

What do you say instead?

You didn't answer the question.

The question is:

Someone tells you they or someone close to them is sick, has cancer maybe.

What do you, as an atheist say?

Sorry for your luck?

The reason I asked is that this happened to me twice this week.

So I'm lighting two candles at church this Sunday.

What can an atheist do of equivalent value?

Thank you.

What do you say instead?
I hope you feel better soon.

That's basically what you're saying.

The reason I ask is that I worry about atheists. They can't find comfort in prayer nor can they comfort others by promising to pray for them.

There are many advantages of believing in God, and this is one of them.

What do atheists say in these situations?

"Good luck" I guess.

Without being too funny, we say this to fellow Canadians when they say they are going to the doctor or hospital. Few have any faith in the abilities of our doctors.

How can I help..?
Yes, you can say that, but really what can you do?

Bring a casserole to their house?

I mean, what can you offer that is the equivalent to a prayer?
What do you think is the equivalent of a prayer?
There is no equivalent to prayer. You are literally asking an all-loving, all-merciful, all-powerful being to intervene to help a fellow human being.

If I never learned of God from my parents, my own belief about the universe is that it is obviously the creation of some higher power.

But I would never believe that this higher power took an interest in the affairs of individual humans.

But Jesus taught us, through his words in the Gospel, that God knows and cares every time a sparrow falls from the sky.

How can I help..?
Yes, you can say that, but really what can you do?

Bring a casserole to their house?

I mean, what can you offer that is the equivalent to a prayer?
What do you think is the equivalent of a prayer?
There is no equivalent to prayer. You are literally asking an all-loving, all-merciful, all-powerful being to intervene to help a fellow human being.
Who may or may not exist.

Thank you.

What do you say instead?

My thoughts are with you. You are in my heart. Positive vibes your way.

There are many things non religious people can say that are full of love, compassion, caring. You don't need a deity for that, just a heart.

Forum List

Back