When I was a kid, I...........

Oh, and the day of final exams when I was a senior in high school. Only one question, but it was a tough one. My best friend Ned Needlemyer thought he had it, but he got his notes mixed up. Poor Ned, always obsessing over his hair. He went bald at the age of 27. When the proctor called on me I was so nervous!

You can see the relief on my face when I get it right.

What was the question?

And then off to college. I'll never forget (unless the timeline is altered and it never really happened) Pledge Week and all the silly hazing stuff. This one time we had to run naked across campus and across time and try to find clothes before heading back to the frat house. Ah, good times.

Oh, and the day of final exams when I was a senior in high school. Only one question, but it was a tough one. My best friend Ned Needlemyer thought he had it, but he got his notes mixed up. Poor Ned, always obsessing over his hair. He went bald at the age of 27. When the proctor called on me I was so nervous!

What was the question?

"What is best in life"?

What was the question?

"What is best in life"?

These days I enjoy picking up my own kids from school. Sometimes we stop at McDonald's on the way home. People say the school is in a bad neighborhood, but it's nothing like the places I went as a kid.

I got a 3 day pay or quit for the very first time, when I was in my 20's and before I became property manager. The manager felt bad for me, and didn't follow thru with legal eviction and helped me move to another place. Years later when I was managing a posh and large complex, I needed an asst manager and was told to hire someone by my boss. I put an ad in the paper and guess who showed up? That guy that helped me years before. He didn't recognize me in my biz suit, sitting in a fancy office. I hired him as soon as he told me his story of hard times. Then I said "you don't recognize me, do you? Remember that poor girl you helped move so long ago?" and his face lit up and he said YOU!!!!!! And my reply was "you are hired. When can you start?"

I will never forget his happiness at those words.

I've read that story before, and I still love it. :smiliehug:
Its the small things in life that is nice to relive.;)

....Ma didn't want us to have pets. But I ignored her demands because she was always at work so....whenever I found a stray dog, I would bring it home and when Dad got off work, we would find the owners together. She never knew. ;)

I got a 3 day pay or quit for the very first time, when I was in my 20's and before I became property manager. The manager felt bad for me, and didn't follow thru with legal eviction and helped me move to another place. Years later when I was managing a posh and large complex, I needed an asst manager and was told to hire someone by my boss. I put an ad in the paper and guess who showed up? That guy that helped me years before. He didn't recognize me in my biz suit, sitting in a fancy office. I hired him as soon as he told me his story of hard times. Then I said "you don't recognize me, do you? Remember that poor girl you helped move so long ago?" and his face lit up and he said YOU!!!!!! And my reply was "you are hired. When can you start?"

Yes, but that's not a small thing. It's heartful.

...I put salt on a snail one time just to see if it would melt like other kids said. It did. I poured water on it as fast as I could but...too late. I cried again. Any critter hurting...especially by me...made me cry. A lot. For hours. Sometimes days. Which is why I am so afraid to go to the pet forum. Someone always HAS to post a pic of an abused animal they saved or saw or whatever. It haunts me. So...I go to NO pet threads or forums or websites. Afraid to.

I think its the one and only thing I ever did that changed someone elses life. Which is probably why I remember it so well.

....Ma didn't want us to have pets. But I ignored her demands because she was always at work so....whenever I found a stray dog, I would bring it home and when Dad got off work, we would find the owners together. She never knew. ;)

I had a "pet" praying mantis.
Not a pet really, we kind of kept it in the window and watched.
And we had ducks for a brief time. I still remember the smell.

I think its the one and only thing I ever did that changed someone elses life. Which is probably why I remember it so well.

That's what makes it memorable. But at the risk of disagreeing with you I very much doubt that was the only thing you did that changed someone else's life. I'd bet the house on it. :)

That's what makes it memorable. But at the risk of disagreeing with you I very much doubt that was the only thing you did that changed someone else's life. I'd bet the house on it. :)
Awww. Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if I make a difference to anyone. I guess thats the insecurity I have. And the depression.
Meanwhile, are we friends again even though we disagree on things? I've missed you.

Awww. Thanks. Sometimes I wonder if I make a difference to anyone. I guess thats the insecurity I have. And the depression.
Meanwhile, are we friends again even though we disagree on things? I've missed you.

We wuz always friends. :11_2_1043:

You have a good heart. I've always known that and I value it. That doesn't change because it can't.

Missed you too, I was away for a while. Not sure I'm actually back, at least that's what I tell myself so I can escape again.... :eusa_shifty:

We wuz always friends. :11_2_1043:

You have a good heart. I've always known that and I value it. That doesn't change because it can't.

Missed you too, I was away for a while. Not sure I'm actually back, at least that's what I tell myself so I can escape again.... :eusa_shifty:
Thats the beauty of a message board. You can leave without having to say goodbye and come back when ya feel like it. Try doing that with a phone call, lol.

.....would wait for a rain storm, then sit outside with an umbrella and towels draped over it and hunker down to listen to it hit the umbrella. Ma thought I was nuts.

.....I'd ride my bike into empty fields and sit under a bush or near one, and wait. I'd sit so still, bird and bugs thought I was just part of the landscape and crawl on me..or the birds would land on me.

......I'd have my roller skates and key around my neck on a string and tear around the block non stop.

....I tore my tricyle apart by flipping it upside down, put a pillow over the bar that held the seat to straddle it comfortably, handles flipped upright and ride it around. The very first low rider was in 1956 when I made one, lol.

...I'd usually be up as high in a tree that I could get. whether it be the park or my back yard or someplace downtown where I could hide amongst the branches and watch the world go by.

...I'd wait until parents were in bed, then I would sneak to the floor radiator and sleep on it because it was so warm.

....I'd hide behind my sister's vanity and mirror, just to eavesdrop on her mushy talk with her icky boyfriends.

...I'd hide my spinach in the drawer behind me that was in the hutch.

My sister would lock me out of the house all the time. One day, I get fed up and when she did the neener neener at me from behind the glass, I punched right thru it and got her in the nose..along with showers of glass. Cost ma 75 bucks to replace that floor length window. Today, it would probably cost 300 bucks or more.

What did y'all do that was weird or fun?

... Sometimes I would go out and walk around the neighborhood at night, when no one was around, and everything was closed, and quiet. I would pretend I was the only person left, and then dreamed of how much better the world would be if that was true.

... I would open the windows to by bedroom, and let the cold night air flow in right over my head, and it felt great. The stars were fantastic on clear nights starring up into the night.

I spent my childhood getting into as many fights as I could. I was walking down the hall at school and a girl named Carol said hello. I smashed her across the face with my 3 ring binder. The kind with the hard cover. She screamed her ass off. Her nose was bleeding. People ran up from all directions. We had a nurse's office where she was taken. I'd fight with anyone any time.

Someone had the bright idea to force me into team sports. That was fun. There was nothing my team could do to overcome my sabotage and win a game. They ended up in tears. No matter how hard they played. No matter how long they trained, I could make them lose. That's real power.

One thing that I did was happy. I had a dog. In the winter we would take the old sled over to the sledding hill. The two of us would pull that sled to the top. I would sit on the sled with the dog sitting between my legs and down we would go. His ears would be blown back. At the bottom of the hill he would be so excited he pranced around in a circle. He would grab that rope in his mouth and tried to pull it up the hill without me. He was a great dog.

When I was a pre-teen. . . my buddy and I would order fireworks from a catalog. . . I still can't believe our mom's let us do that. They were the type that were illegal in our state. They are legal here now.

Anyway. We got them at a pretty cheap price, and some of them we would tear apart, take the gun powder out, and make things like pipe bombs and other homemade explosives, just for kicks. Which, when you think about it, is sort of irresponsible for twelve year olds to do. But eh. . that was just the sort of shit we did in the 70's to keep young boys entertained in long summer months. :auiqs.jpg:

Hell, now it's even illegal to send and receive fireworks through the mail, so I guess that is why they are legal to buy and sell in nearly every state these days.

Nice reading the post here. When I was kid I use to send coded messages in my uncles letters while he was in Vietnam. It made it it all the way to him undetected, until he read the letter to the rest of the platoon. Both 1st and 2nd lieutenant noticed it. They called our home at supper time wanting to talk to me. My dad answered the phone. He turned to me and yelled "what did you do now" I had a mouth full of fried chicken and boiled potatoes in my mouth. Had to spit it out and run to the phone. Had a really nice conversation with those two. One was a West Point graduate, the other was Citadel S.C.

Forum List

Back