When did Junk Plans become Junk Plans

It paid for my kid's insurance who can't seem to earn a decent living. Obama said he could save $2500 but he didn't say for who.

I'm afraid that is a little weak. He pretty much indicated he'd "work with our employers" to save us that money. You know everyone in his camp or who listened to him wasn't thinking (that's for somebody else).

C'mon.
You asked and that's where it went. My son's subsidy is just about $2500/yr.

"A system where we're gonna work with your employers to lower your premiums by up to $2,500 per family per year.
August 6, 2008

He said this over and over in 2008. However, that was long before any legislation was created. Also notice that he kept using the phrase "up to".

FREEDOM EDEN: Obama: 20 Promises for $2,500

You bet...people heard that "up to", didn't they.

This Affirmative Action Failure has lied and mislead from the start.

The 2,500....

Gonna cut costs.....

Make it more "affordable"

You can keep your doctor.....

Hey,

What happened to our 2,500/year savings ?
It paid for my kid's insurance who can't seem to earn a decent living. Obama said he could save $2500 but he didn't say for who.

If Obama were a private sector salesman and his speeches were infomercials, he'd already be in a federal prison for consumer fraud with his co-conspirators Kathleen Sibelius and Jay Carney.

Hey,

What happened to our 2,500/year savings ?

If Obama were a private sector salesman and his speeches were infomercials, he'd already be in a federal prison for consumer fraud with his co-conspirators Kathleen Sibelius and Jay Carney.

Carney would not last in jail.

first- except in DC, those "citizens" must use the Marketplace exchange.

second- if they do that, the aca will fail.....not that that matters...:lol:why do you think they are cancelling the plans?
No, you don't have to buy individual insurance off the exchange. You can purchase plans from the carrier or their brokers. However you can only get a subsidy by buying off the exchange. The only people I'm aware of that must buy off the exchange are congressmen and staff. All plans must meet ACA requirements unless they have been grandfathered in. Grandfathered plans are not being marketed in 2014.

unless I am misreading , it says DC folks must use the marketplace, period.

Q:
Do I have to buy from the Marketplace?

A:

No. A Marketplace is just one of the ways people can shop for health coverage. However, you can only get financial assistance from the government if you buy coverage through a Marketplace. (Exception: Residents of Washington, D.C., purchasing health coverage on their own must buy coverage from the Marketplace.)

Health Care Reform Questions: 10 Most Asked Questions | Kaiser Permanente

There are two reason plans were cancelled. They did not meet all ACA requirements and the insurer did not want to grandfather the plan because they could not be marketed in 2014 and it could not be changed, either premium or benefits.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

you insist on using false premises, I am not interested in your mitigation arguments.......

and you want to tackle the rest of my post or, just let it pass:rolleyes:

third - if a NON grandfathered plan or any new privately purchased plans includes ANY , even one of the EHB's,( essential health benefits) they can impose NO annual or life time limits on the dollar values of those benefits...helllllloooo... ...apparently you didn't know that, you know why that and the rule for non-denial of coverage for precondition, is important and pulls the pin on your offer to buy 'privately' .....right?

forth-

here from the link-

Another possible reason for shopping off the exchanges is if the networks offered by the plans you find there don’t include your own doctor or hospital, said Sara R. Collins, a health policy expert at the Commonwealth Fund. In some cases, insurers are seeking to control costs by narrowing the networks of plans offered on the exchanges.

now for extra points; what did Ezekiel Emmanuel say last Sunday about this?

Republicans caring about health care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the junk plans became junk the moment they came into existence. It gave the private insurance companies the right to charge uniformed people a fee and then pay them the first $50. on their hospital bill.

I guess the junk plans became junk the moment they came into existence. It gave the private insurance companies the right to charge uniformed people a fee and then pay them the first $50. on their hospital bill.

I'd ask you to really think about how silly that comment is.

In any distribution of products there are always ones that don't do so well.

The administration SUDDENLY decided all plans that were non-compliant were junk plans. That is simply a lie.

I had two of them for two of my kids and they were fine.

Do want to tell me my plans were "junk" plans ?

Pray tell.

The administration SUDDENLY decided all plans that were non-compliant were junk plans. That is simply a lie.

Pray tell.
There doesn't seem to be any commonly accepted definition of a junk insurance plan. I haven't heard Obama use the term junk insurance but there are plenty of political pundits on right and left that use the term to mean different things.

It might be nice to have some common definition of what junk insurance is before discussing it. It seems to me that junk health insurance would be insurance that does not provide substantial coverage for really serious health conditions. Prior to Obamacare, plans existed that provided only a few thousand dollars of hospital coverage or had yearly maximum that would not even cover the average hospital stay or had so many exemptions as to make the plans nearly worthless. A plan that does not cover all the essential benefits does not make it junk insurance. It just doesn't meet the high criteria set forth in the law.

Last edited:

Pray tell.
There doesn't seem to be any commonly accepted definition of a junk insurance plan. I haven't heard Obama use the term junk insurance but there are plenty of political pundits on right and left that use the term to mean different things.

It might be nice to have some common definition of what junk insurance is before discussing it. It seems to me that junk health insurance would be insurance that does not provide substantial coverage for really serious health conditions. Prior to Obamacare, plans existed that provided only a few thousand dollars of hospital coverage or had yearly maximum that would not even cover the average hospital stay or had so many exemptions as to make the plans nearly worthless. A plan that does not cover all the essential benefits does not make it junk insurance. It just doesn't meet the high criteria set forth in the law.

Nobody on the left ever talked about them before.

When people started loosing plans..that's when they became junk.

While I appreciate your desire to settle the conversation into an actual discussion of junk plans...my OP was pointed at the fact that Obama was telling his BIG LIE and this was the response on the left when he got his tiny little balls caught in a vice.

Pray tell.

It amazes me that you see so little, yet know so much.

Pray tell.

Nobody on the left ever talked about them before.

When people started loosing plans..that's when they became junk.

While I appreciate your desire to settle the conversation into an actual discussion of junk plans...my OP was pointed at the fact that Obama was telling his BIG LIE and this was the response on the left when he got his tiny little balls caught in a vice.
Junk health insurance plans have been in and out of the news long before Obamacare came along. By junk health insurance plans I'm referring to the "min-med" plans with $2,000 maximum hospital benefits, hospitalization policies that have 50% co-insurance, employee group insurance that requires a 70% turnover rate and provides no coverage for 6 to 9 months, etc.. These plans are as bad as no insurance at all because they give the buyers a false sense of security and in some states can prevent the buyer from getting medicaid.

Recently, anything that does not qualify under the ACA is being called junk which is ridiculous. Most of these plans have good coverage, they just don't meet the exclusion of pre-existing condition, yearly maximum exclusion, or lack a couple of the 10 essentials.

Last edited:
Junk plan?

$6325 Cat plan.....pure Junk yet Bammy promotes it.
I disagree. A catastrophic plan with a $5,000 to $10,000 deductible is not junk. If provides what insurance should provide, payment of large healthcare costs that would financially devastate most people. Secondly, plans with high deductibles encourage people not to go the doctor with minor problems reducing cost for the company as well as your premiums. Just a few days ago, there was news piece on TV about the new cancer drugs that can prolong life for decades that cost up $100,000/yr. My brother had triple bypass with 3 trips to the hospital. The bills were just over $155,000.

Last edited:
Recently, anything that does not qualify under the ACA is being called junk which is ridiculous. Most of these plans have good coverage, they just don't meet the exclusion of pre-existing condition, yearly maximum exclusion, or lack a couple of the 10 essentials.

Thank you for your assesment.

Now, why have the Obama pundits needed to strap them as such ?

Forum List

Back