What's your opinion on Women in Combat?

Are you supportive of it or against it? Can you give me reasons why you support it or why you do not support it?
My own view is that while women in the military do certain tasks just as well as men, once the shooting starts, combat is no place for a female.

They cannot carry as much gear as a male.

They have periods of bleeding and discomfort that makes them unfit for duty out in the elements, during which times they cannot concentrate very well.

They have sanitation issues that make it very likely to become infected with diseases.

They distract the men from doing their duty.

While a woman can perform combat support related duty such as radio/telephone transmission, they should stay behind the lines, in the rear with the gear.

If I had a woman with me on a combat patrol I would worry that she might fall behind and get lost and become captured by the enemy. That's is one extra thing to worry about and potentially fatal to everyone else and to the mission.

Until you have a spike in pregnancies or the ones who decide to get pregnant to get out of combat. The accommodations in the field for initial combat units are not the Ritz. I guarantee you will see a jump in sexual harassment cases. Time better spent on combat training will be taken up by sexual harassment training. Wait until the first female POW happens. The current enemies of the US are not going to follow the Geneva Convention.
Not to you in particular, but why is it that some people immediately jump to the questions of pregnancy and rape when asked about women in combat? When a person is contemplating combat there are lots of bad outcomes to contemplate --being shot, blown to bits, beheaded or tortured come to mind. Why is rape or the complication of pregnancy the foremost thing that some people think of? Because they are still stuck on thinking of women as walking sex objects. That's fundamentally all women are good for, in some people's minds. And if you are saying NO NO I don't think that, ask yourself why rape and pregnancy are the first things you think of when asked about women in the military.
There is no doubt that females would be raped when captured by the enemy.

If they can pass all the men's tests, then go for it.

No lowering the bar on ANYTHING just so they pass.
Females cannot.

Same as why they cannot play in the NFL.

They are too small of stature.

Their bone structure is too lite and fragile.

They do not have the muscular strength that it takes to fight next to men in combat.

If you were to create all-female-only combat units then you would partially solve the size issue.

However the minute a female unit encountered a male unit they would be overrun and slaughtered, raped, etc.

If they can pass all the men's tests, then go for it.

No lowering the bar on ANYTHING just so they pass.
Females cannot.

Same as why they cannot play in the NFL.

They are too small of stature.

Their bone structure is too lite and fragile.

They do not have the muscular strength that it takes to fight next to men in combat.

If you were to create all-female-only combat units then you would partially solve the size issue.

However the minute a female unit encountered a male unit they would be overrun and slaughtered, raped, etc.

For the majority of women, this is true.

There are exceptions. If those exceptions can pass the tests given to males, I have no problem with them in combat. Men can be raped too.

Until you have a spike in pregnancies or the ones who decide to get pregnant to get out of combat. The accommodations in the field for initial combat units are not the Ritz. I guarantee you will see a jump in sexual harassment cases. Time better spent on combat training will be taken up by sexual harassment training. Wait until the first female POW happens. The current enemies of the US are not going to follow the Geneva Convention.

Wait until the first female POW? Really? Guess you never heard of Jessica Lynch or Shoshana Johnson. Those are 2 American POWS from the Iraq war.

Jessica Lynch - Wikipedia

Shoshana Johnson - Wikipedia

I find it really interesting that some of you think that this is the first time that this issue has come up. It's been there for a long while (since about 1994 as far as I know, when women were first allowed on combat ships).

What I find even more interesting is the fact that some of you don't know we have already had females in combat who have been captured and were POWs. No, this is not the first time, nor will it be the last.

Wait until the first female POW? Really? Guess you never heard of Jessica Lynch or Shoshana Johnson. Those are 2 American POWS from the Iraq war.

I find it really interesting that some of you think that this is the first time that this issue has come up. It's been there for a long while (since about 1994 as far as I know, when women were first allowed on combat ships).

What I find even more interesting is the fact that some of you don't know we have already had females in combat who have been captured and were POWs. No, this is not the first time, nor will it be the last.
Yes the Iraq War but who are our Troops engaged with now? Religious fanatics that chop peoples heads off and have sex slaves.

And if you dig into the details of these two women soldiers who were captured. Neither of them picked up their weapons and fired on the Iraqi soldiers. One of them even admitted she threw down her weapon and just sat down and cried.

While the male soldiers fought off the Iraqi's in a fierce gun battle until they were over ran and captured.

And the final absurdity is that both of the female soldiers were awarded the Bronze Star. ...... :cool:

Last edited:

Yes the Iraq War but who are our Troops engaged with now? Religious fanatics that chop peoples heads off and have sex slaves.

So, if we're fighting against a country that recognizes the Geneva Conventions, you'd be cool with women in combat, but if we're fighting people who don't, women should be exempt from combat? Are you for real? War doesn't generally give you those kind of choices.

And, like I said, after serving 20 years in the Navy, and having served in combat ready commands with women, I have absolutely zero problems with them serving alongside me in a time of war. And, for the record, every combat zone I served in with the exception of Beruit back in '83, had women there as well.

Forum List

Back