What's your opinion on Women in Combat?

Well, I joined the U.S. Navy in 1982, and served until I retired in 2002.

When I first joined, women were only allowed on support ships like submarine tenders and hospital ships, because they were non combat support ships.

Later, in the early 90's, they started to allow women to deploy on combat vessels. I remember the shock I felt when I saw my first woman onboard a carrier. Kinda freaked me out, but I got over it.

Later, the Navy started to allow women on ALL ships, not just the support ones. Well, I've worked alongside women, as well as have been deployed with them. All the women I worked with over the course of my career (20 years), did pretty much the same job, and did it within the required standards, even when they were on the fire party and damage control teams, with the exception of a total of 2 women who used their gender as a way to get out of work.

Personally? I say let them serve in whatever capacity they want to, as long as they are capable of completing the job.

Well, I joined the U.S. Navy in 1982, and served until I retired in 2002.

When I first joined, women were only allowed on support ships like submarine tenders and hospital ships, because they were non combat support ships.

Later, in the early 90's, they started to allow women to deploy on combat vessels. I remember the shock I felt when I saw my first woman onboard a carrier. Kinda freaked me out, but I got over it.

Later, the Navy started to allow women on ALL ships, not just the support ones. Well, I've worked alongside women, as well as have been deployed with them. All the women I worked with over the course of my career (20 years), did pretty much the same job, and did it within the required standards, even when they were on the fire party and damage control teams, with the exception of a total of 2 women who used their gender as a way to get out of work.

Personally? I say let them serve in whatever capacity they want to, as long as they are capable of completing the job.

Are there any major differences for women on the front line or in combat then there are for men?

Israel, Sweden, Switzerland, and a few other countries, have no problem with women in combat.

There's a lot to be said about being confronted by a woman in camouflage with a Uzi tucked under her armpit or when she's pointing a full auto rifle at you.

******SMILE*****

:)

Do women have to get depo shots to be on the front line to avoid pregnancy in case of rape?

In the Navy, it didn't matter why a woman got pregnant, because the second she knows she's pregnant, she is transferred immediately to a shore station.

As far as I know, no, women in the Navy aren't required to get depo shots to serve on the front lines.

Maybe we could wait and see how it goes?
The women might surprise you.

I have to do research about women in combat for a school project paper, just wondered peoples honest opinions about the topic.
Israel uses women in combat effectively, but they are in desperation mode.
One just needs to note the general psychological differences between men and women to get the answer.
Males are protectors.
Women are nurturers.
Neither is superior, they are just different.

Israel, Sweden, Switzerland, and a few other countries, have no problem with women in combat.

There's a lot to be said about being confronted by a woman in camouflage with a Uzi tucked under her armpit or when she's pointing a full auto rifle at you.

******SMILE*****

:)

So do you think from a behavioral science point of view that women can actually benefit the military being in combat in the sense the enemy won't see them coming?

Are there other benefits?

New Topics

Forum List

Back