What's your 'creativity' of choice?

I suppose creating the perfect circle could be frustrating....

Pi is only 3.14....

I used to work as a steel brake press/shaer operator - cant say I enjoyed it...

Oh and the tolerance was 1/16 where I worked...

Try coping with a Cincinnati from 1915.......

The ram has a problem with level.

I've machined metal to plus or minus 10 millionths of an inch and glass to about 10 billionths when I made the optics for a 12.5" telescope

How is that possible?

Well I suppose it depends on what gauge metal you're using.

I wouldn't even know how to measure such a measurement...

Farthest I think I could handle is 1/64th... beyond that I think it would tak take days to a) cut the piece and b) bend or form it....

You know I was wondering the same thing. I have a Bridgport mill and can get down to one 10,000th of an inch with a little bit of work. I can get down to one 100,000th of an inch with a TREMENDOUS amount of work. There is no gauge or instrument I have ever seen that can measure even one millionth of an inch. That is electron microscope territory.
A BILLIONTH of an inch is off the hook.

I remodel my house.

Everytime I get a room done I start thinking how I could have done it better. Its a cycle.

Do you expand, as well? Or just keep working on the same rooms?

I sometimes wonder if it's possible to take a roof off and add a second story. Just generally speaking, from a construction POV.

Yea I am real guilty of expansion. The house is huge now and the wife swears I am a dead man if I make it any bigger. My next project, once I heal up, is the master bath. I want one of those whirlpool tubs.

Good choice! We have one, and it's one of the very deep tubs. LOVE. IT.

Not so active in it anymore, but I make fountains on occasion. Used to sell them in studios and gift shops, then taught classes. Then the bottom fell out when the cheap models hit the stores. Now I give them away as gifts.

fountain.jpg

fountain-1.jpg

I've machined metal to plus or minus 10 millionths of an inch and glass to about 10 billionths when I made the optics for a 12.5" telescope

How is that possible?

Well I suppose it depends on what gauge metal you're using.

I wouldn't even know how to measure such a measurement...

Farthest I think I could handle is 1/64th... beyond that I think it would tak take days to a) cut the piece and b) bend or form it....

You know I was wondering the same thing. I have a Bridgport mill and can get down to one 10,000th of an inch with a little bit of work. I can get down to one 100,000th of an inch with a TREMENDOUS amount of work. There is no gauge or instrument I have ever seen that can measure even one millionth of an inch. That is electron microscope territory.
A BILLIONTH of an inch is off the hook.

You have physically gotten down to 100,000 of an inch?

I don't even believe that is possible....

Forum List

Back