What's your 'creativity' of choice?

As a teenager I sang and wrote poetry and short stories. As a young woman I painted pastel portraits of people and animals... sold quite a few! In middle age, I retired from my career in public finance and wrote novels... published 35 of 'em!

Now I just play video games and chat in forums. :D

Are your books on Amazon?

I build things. Either of wood or metal.

Been at it for long?

I'm a writer. When I'm done, I'll be an author.

I've allways built things. When I was a working geologist I sometimes needed things made and the machinists spoke a different language I found. So I took machinist classes at the local trade school so I could learn their language and discovered I liked making stuff so much I built my own little machine shop and did the machining myself.

Same for the woodwork. When we moved up to the new place I wanted to build my wife the kitchen of her dreams so I apprenticed myself to a friend who's a cabinet maker so I would know how. I specced out the kitchen about ten years ago and just the materials alone would have cost us around 60,000, I have no idea what the cabinet maker would charge, my friend said he would have charged me around 15,000 for it but that would have been the friend price.

Now I build things for my daughters school and whatever else I get the whim to make.

I would love to work with wood. I have tremors, and sometimes they can be quite severe, so that would stop me from a lot of crafts. Else I'd be another Picasso, who knows.

Do you sing, dance, write, paint, sculpt? Are you currently actively pursuing said craft?

Writing, but I already accomplished music and drawing er art..

People have bought er paid money for my drawings and music but I have not made a dime off my writing...

I suppose I need to work the trifecta.

I could write a good autobiography...

I'd never go on Oprah tho... Well, if she gave me a case of beer and a pack of cigarettes I may reconsider but I can assure my stores are true.

I do wood and metal. The corner hutch for the wife was my most ambitious wood working project.
I also do geometric tile mosaics as tops for wrought iron tables I build and chain mail

I do wood and metal. The corner hutch for the wife was my most ambitious wood working project.
I also do geometric tile mosaics as tops for wrought iron tables I build and chain mail

I used to work as a steel brake press/shaer operator - cant say I enjoyed it...

Oh and the tolerance was 1/16 where I worked...

Try coping with a Cincinnati from 1915.......

The ram has a problem with level.

I've machined metal to plus or minus 10 millionths of an inch and glass to about 10 billionths when I made the optics for a 12.5" telescope

I remodel my house.

Everytime I get a room done I start thinking how I could have done it better. Its a cycle.

Do you expand, as well? Or just keep working on the same rooms?

I sometimes wonder if it's possible to take a roof off and add a second story. Just generally speaking, from a construction POV.

I remodel my house.

Everytime I get a room done I start thinking how I could have done it better. Its a cycle.

I sometimes wonder if it's possible to take a roof off and add a second story. Just generally speaking, from a construction POV.

Depends on how the house was constructed. Oftentimes it's possible just expensive.

As a teenager I sang and wrote poetry and short stories. As a young woman I painted pastel portraits of people and animals... sold quite a few! In middle age, I retired from my career in public finance and wrote novels... published 35 of 'em!

Now I just play video games and chat in forums. :D
You have had a very distinguished past, DiAnna. Congratulations.

I write mainly Haiku now, sang in two Civic Chorales over the years, soloed at a Christmas concert one year, love pen and ink, keep an active sketch book, wrote 11 manuscripts for quilting, two or three of which we copyrighted through the Library of Congress, designed fiber art wallhangings, won a best of show with a large quilt at a state fair, won a best of show with a rya rug style wallhanging, won another blue ribbon at the state fair, and in general, have done threadpainting by using my sewing machine as a paintbrush and thread as paint.

After retirement from running my own quilt business for 23 years, I limit my work to pro bono quilting for the local battered family shelter, homeless; and assorted projects for senior care facilities, and veterans through the local Charity Bees Quilting chapter of the Tall Pines Quilt Guild.

I remodel my house.

Yea I am real guilty of expansion. The house is huge now and the wife swears I am a dead man if I make it any bigger. My next project, once I heal up, is the master bath. I want one of those whirlpool tubs.

I've machined metal to plus or minus 10 millionths of an inch and glass to about 10 billionths when I made the optics for a 12.5" telescope

How is that possible?

Well I suppose it depends on what gauge metal you're using.

I wouldn't even know how to measure such a measurement...

Farthest I think I could handle is 1/64th... beyond that I think it would tak take days to a) cut the piece and b) bend or form it....

Forum List

Back