What's your all-time favorite movie, and why?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Jon, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Mine would have to be Schindler's List, for several reasons.

First and foremost, this movie is about human compassion. It tells the true story of a man who went against his party and saved the lives of thousands of people. The raw human emotion portrayed through the character of Oskar Schindler is captivating, and I still can't watch this movie without tearing up at the end. When Schindler breaks down and starts crying over the many other lives he could have saved, I can't help myself. Liam Neeson is perfection in this role, as are Sir Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes. Fiennes as Amon Goeth is, in my opinion, the best villain in movie history (yes, even better than Heath Ledger as The Joker). Goeth's complete disregard for human life is in direct constrast with Schindler's, and yet we still find a kink in Goeth's armor. He is attracted to a Jewish woman, in spite of his disgust for the Jewish race. Schindler and Goeth are able to coincide, in spite of their differences, and yet, Goeth is still a disgusting, vile monster.

This is by far Stephen Spielberg's crowning achievement. Forget E.T., Schindler's List is directoral perfection.

And, to top it all off, the montage at the end where the remaining Schindler Jews and the descendants of those who have passed is awe-inspiring. Even though there are no words spoken through the entire 10 minute sequence, I still watch it through until the end. I feel as if I owe it to those people to watch it through to the very end.

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    "I believe in America. America has made my fortune."

And with those words, a saga of epic proportions began. The Godfather Part I is the best film in the saga and of all time for several reasons.

1.) This movie is relevant may it be a hundred years ago or a hundred years from now. A story of family, betrayal, greed, power, and revenge. A cinema masterpiece and classic that cannot be touched. From the beginning with the innocent yet eventful wedding of Connie Corleone to Carlo Rizzi to the end that will simply wanting you to watch it again. The movie is 175 min (3 hours practically) rollercoaster in which the audience sees The Corleone Family rise, fall and yet rise from the ashes once again.

2.) An all cast that gives no weak performances. From Marlon Brando giving one of the best performances of his career as Don Vito Corleone, Al Pacino as Michael Corleone; the mild-mannered son who wants nothing to do with his father's business but is conflicted once his father is nearly taken out. Along with James Caan as the Hot-Headed Sonny Corleone, Robert Duvall as the Irish Consigliere Tom Hagen, and of course the son who is always trying to earn his father's respect; Fredo Corleone played by John Cazale.

Talia Shire also plays as Connie Corleone Rizzi playing a role that rivals her one in the Rocky series. Along with great performances by Diane Keaton as Kay Adams and Richard Castellano as Peter Clemenza.

3.) Perhaps what can be considered Francis Ford Coppola's shining moment as a Director and of course a soundtrack that people who have never even seen the movie to this day know. The Godfather theme (Speak Softly Love without the lyrics) is one of the most tunes in cinema history.

3. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Are you gonna hate me if I say I prefer his direction in Bram Stoker's Dracula?

4. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    a boy and his dog..one of don johnson first and best preformances why..not sure it just cool..disturbing..funny..a underground classic

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    hey ...they have the whole movie on youtube in 10 parts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toyw2l3-Xmc]YouTube - A Boy and his Dog pt.1[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    :lol: no not hate you.

What exactly do you mean by direction though?

7. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Anytime someone can get a good performance out of Keanu Reeves AND Winona Ryder in the same film, it's good direction.

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    :lol: True I suppose.

Dracula was Francis's best non Godfather film I think.

Gary Oldman as Dracula was perfect too.

But I do think he was a better director for GF Part I and II. Part III he was by far a better director in Dracula. Francis personally screwed with Part III which I didn't like.

9. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Getting a good performance out of Keanu deserves a nobel or something!:razz:
    As for favorite as in ones I can watch over and over are probably Tombstone, Big Lebowski, Godfather 2,Pulp Fiction, and Vrigin Suicides. Best movie I have seen Schindler's List and Fargo!:tongue:

Now if you would of asked me when I was ten it would been Dirty Dancing,I have seen that movie more then any other!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    It changes from time to time, but several I always watch, including:

Casablanca

The Sand pebbles

Duck Soup