What's with the Peace Prize?

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
In what is now the second bust by the Nobel Committee in the past four years in awarding it's famous Nobel Peace Prize, the Committee selected the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), an organization founded in 1997 and tabbed by the UN to oversee the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons, to win the prize. The runner up? A sixteen year old Pakistani girl named Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head and left to die by the Taliban for speaking out on women's rights

Now tell me something... how did she lose to an organization? Is it the politics of the time? Is it something else? Normally, you would think something as miraculous as Malala's brush with death and advocacy of women's rights would win such a prestigious award. But I guess not. This in my opinion is a travesty. What say you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/12/world/chemical-weapons-watchdog-wins-nobel-peace-prize.html

All speculation as to "runners up" and any other nominees is just that.

The Nobel commitee does not release the names of nominees for 99 years.

Other than that, the Nobel committee is a private organization founded by the man who invented dynamite and accidentally killed his own brother during the process.

They can give their prizes to whoever they want, but the Peace Prize has been a joke ever since Kissenger got one.

The Nobel committee does not release the names of nominees for 99 years.

Other than that, the Nobel committee is a private organization founded by the man who invented dynamite and accidentally killed his own brother during the process.

They can give their prizes to whoever they want, but the Peace Prize has been a joke ever since Kissenger got one.

Do what?

And it became a laughing stock when they gave one to Obama.

Do what?

Every year, hundreds of people are nominated for each of the Nobel prizes.

Nominations can come from a select group of people including world leaders, experts in their fields, and previous Nobel winners.

The only name that is officially released is the winner - and generally, one will only find out that they've been nominated when and if they win.

The list of nominees for any given year is only officially released after 99 years.

Do what?

Nominations can come from a select group of people including world leaders, experts in their fields, and previous Nobel winners.

The only name that is officially released is the winner - and generally, one will only find out that they've been nominated when and if they win.

The list of nominees for any given year is only officially released after 99 years.

it is 50 years.

The statutes of the Nobel Foundation restrict disclosure of information about the nominations, whether publicly or privately, for 50 years. The restriction concerns the nominees and nominators, as well as investigations and opinions related to the award of a prize.

it is 50 years.

The statutes of the Nobel Foundation restrict disclosure of information about the nominations, whether publicly or privately, for 50 years. The restriction concerns the nominees and nominators, as well as investigations and opinions related to the award of a prize.

50 years, 99 years. At least I knew it was a big number.

My grandfather's friend has told him that he's nominated him for the Physics prize a few times already, but I won't get official bragging rights about it for another 46 years.

In what is now the second bust by the Nobel Committee in the past four years in awarding it's famous Nobel Peace Prize, the Committee selected the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), an organization founded in 1997 and tabbed by the UN to oversee the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons, to win the prize. The runner up? A sixteen year old Pakistani girl named Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head and left to die by the Taliban for speaking out on women's rights

Now tell me something... how did she lose to an organization? Is it the politics of the time? Is it something else? Normally, you would think something as miraculous as Malala's brush with death and advocacy of women's rights would win such a prestigious award. But I guess not. This in my opinion is a travesty. What say you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/12/world/chemical-weapons-watchdog-wins-nobel-peace-prize.html

Malala should have definitely won. The outcome of this was definitely a scandal.

Last edited:
I don't think well of how the Peace Prize is handed out.

They gave it to Obama when he hadn't done anything, because he wasn't Bush.

They gave it to Al GOre for not being Bush.

They gave it to the boobs at the UN inspection committee that couldn't say definitively that Iraq had been disarmed after a decade of inspections.

The Peace Prize has become an enormous joke. Ever since Yasser Arafat won, the biggest terrorist in the world. Last year Obama won for...doing nothing. Literally. The Prize cited statements he made as the basis for the award. Maybe I should send them a letter detailing my plans for world peace and I'll win next year.

The Peace Prize has become an enormous joke. Ever since Yasser Arafat won, the biggest terrorist in the world. Last year Obama won for...doing nothing. Literally. The Prize cited statements he made as the basis for the award. Maybe I should send them a letter detailing my plans for world peace and I'll win next year.

sorry

Candidacy Criteria
The candidates eligible for the Nobel Peace Prize are those persons or organizations nominated by qualified individuals, see above. A nomination for yourself will not be taken into consideration.

sorry

Candidacy Criteria
The candidates eligible for the Nobel Peace Prize are those persons or organizations nominated by qualified individuals, see above. A nomination for yourself will not be taken into consideration.

Once I impress them with my noble sentiments for world peace the committee itself will nominate me.

sorry

Candidacy Criteria

Once I impress them with my noble sentiments for world peace the committee itself will nominate me.

then i guess congratulations are in order.

well done.

They are trying to justify giving it to Obama in 2009.

By the way, they gave it to the EU last year, I would count that as a bust.

Everyone knows who the nominees are, the process is wide open to the public. That "list" they release is not the list of nominees, but the notes surrounding the investigation of the various candidates.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back