What's Up With All This 'Squatters' Rights' Garbage & Problems Getting Them Out Of Homes / Off Property?!

Well Easy
while i do appreciate your thread, i am a tradesman and pig farmer
and while it's my favorite 'retirement delusion' , i must admit nothing pisses of the neighbors than smelling 3 dz of 'em.......~S~

ps~anyone got decent pork recipes..?
Yes, fried and in bbq sauce....just try to keep the pig pen off yer shoes in the house.

I still prefer the thieves / trespassers be arrested, but whatever works at this point.
I'm in TN, a stand your ground state. Down here, squatters, who've never bought or even rented a piece of property, don't have rights (that I am aware of) to take over property, but the property owner does have rights to defend his property, tell squatters to leave, and has the right to defend himself if the squatters become violent.

If you live next to me (or vice versa) and you raise pigs ... and you stay on your own land ... I have no problem with it. Go for it & God bless.
You're a kind one Easy , so thx:cool:

My neighbor has partnered up w/ me here.

Think old world farmers who grow/can/dry/process almost everything save the alt on their table

Some call up preppers , but it's really a level of self sustainability that's existed for quite a while

Further, we just spent 5 days w/out power here, didn't really bother us much

Walton mnt still exists.....

~S~

This smacks of another Fox outrage story. I have not done much research and I might, I find these little outrages fun to debunk. But right off the top, a couple of years ago, one of my renters quit paying his water bill. By the second month when he finally moved the water was off and he owed like $100.00. How the hell did he get that high a water bill?

Show up with a piece of mail and a check, probably all it takes.
Yes, but showing up with ownership of the property would get it cut off and around here, JEA in the city and Southswest in the county would not only go along by call if they tried to turn it on at that address again.

Yes, but showing up with ownership of the property would get it cut off and around here, JEA in the city and Southswest in the county would not only go along by call if they tried to turn it on at that address again.

This. If you can prove you own the property you can then get the power and water folks to only turn them on with your permission.

From everything I have read this is more liberal f*ing up the Justice System, putting criminals ahead of law-abiding citizens.

1. The last parent of a son dies and leaves tbe son her home and property. The goes to the home almost a year later, and the neighbor had built a huge pig pen on a large piece of his (his deceased parent's) property. The man tells the neighbor to get off his property. The neighbor says no. The Court says, 'YOU WEREN'T USING IT - SORRY.'

WTF?

The rightful owner has the deed. Its his property.

2. A woman goes to visit the house her father left her when he died. He had been in the hospital and living several months in a rehab center. The woman finds cars in the driveway and 5 criminals living in her / her dad's home . They had moved in because it was empty.

Despite the fact tbat they are thieves, trespassers, the cops won't put them out & the court sysyem has dragged on for months costing the woman thousands of dollars. She said she is considering GIVING UP HER FATHER'S HOME, stop paying on it, and let the bank take it - and let them deal with this.

Again, WTF?!

Now THIS CASE:

'Darthula Young received an alarming phone call from a neighbor that there was a shooting outside her home and when she rushed to the scene, she found her locks had been changed and a bullet had pierced the window.

The residence that she inherited from her late mother was being occupied by a well-known local ex-convict, Takito Murray, and there was nothing Young could do about it. Under Chicago eviction laws, it could take eight months to kick squatters out.'

This shit, these laws, don't make sense. Only a f*ed up LIBERAL / DEMOCRAT could come up with shit like this.

Why is such THEFT like this of HOUSES only protected?

'Yeah, I stole your car but you weren't using it while you were gone on business for a few months... Sucks to be you.'

-- Would it apply if tbe people who stole your car were LIVING IN IT?!

SINCE WHEN DOES THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM AID AND ABET IN THE THEFT OF PEOPLE'S HOMES / PROPERTY ... by well-known ex-convict like in that 3rd instance?!

It is not often you post something that I can agree with 100%, but this time you did.

None of this has ever made sense.

From everything I have read this is more liberal f*ing up the Justice System, putting criminals ahead of law-abiding citizens.

1. The last parent of a son dies and leaves tbe son her home and property. The goes to the home almost a year later, and the neighbor had built a huge pig pen on a large piece of his (his deceased parent's) property. The man tells the neighbor to get off his property. The neighbor says no. The Court says, 'YOU WEREN'T USING IT - SORRY.'

WTF?

The rightful owner has the deed. Its his property.

2. A woman goes to visit the house her father left her when he died. He had been in the hospital and living several months in a rehab center. The woman finds cars in the driveway and 5 criminals living in her / her dad's home . They had moved in because it was empty.

Despite the fact tbat they are thieves, trespassers, the cops won't put them out & the court sysyem has dragged on for months costing the woman thousands of dollars. She said she is considering GIVING UP HER FATHER'S HOME, stop paying on it, and let the bank take it - and let them deal with this.

Again, WTF?!

Now THIS CASE:

'Darthula Young received an alarming phone call from a neighbor that there was a shooting outside her home and when she rushed to the scene, she found her locks had been changed and a bullet had pierced the window.

The residence that she inherited from her late mother was being occupied by a well-known local ex-convict, Takito Murray, and there was nothing Young could do about it. Under Chicago eviction laws, it could take eight months to kick squatters out.'

This shit, these laws, don't make sense. Only a f*ed up LIBERAL / DEMOCRAT could come up with shit like this.

Why is such THEFT like this of HOUSES only protected?

'Yeah, I stole your car but you weren't using it while you were gone on business for a few months... Sucks to be you.'

-- Would it apply if tbe people who stole your car were LIVING IN IT?!

SINCE WHEN DOES THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM AID AND ABET IN THE THEFT OF PEOPLE'S HOMES / PROPERTY ... by well-known ex-convict like in that 3rd instance?!

Democrat laws. All that is wrong with America is protecting criminals.

Like the people responding to the article said, have the utilities cut off. Without water or electricity, they will move.
Not in all cases. A previous employer owned numerous rental properties in a lower income area of town. They would turn the utilities off and homeless would still squat. Three of the places burned down due to cooking/heat fires that the squatters lit in the buildings.

Not in all cases. A previous employer owned numerous rental properties in a lower income area of town. They would turn the utilities off and homeless would still squat. Three of the places burned down due to cooking/heat fires that the squatters lit in the buildings.
Was he a straight up guy, a slum lord or a fire insurance scammer? Just curious as to your opinion and possible knowledge of whether he collected insurance on those three properties.

If you cut off the power to a tenant, in most places, you'd be in trouble.
Even if they didn't have a real lease with you. YMMV

I have had a ton of trouble with renters over the years. The above case seems like long term vacant property neglect issues. Personally, I would like to go in, beat him up and throw all his stuff in a dumpster. But I understand why I can't. I should have been on top of this situation day 1. Now if I go out to the grocery store, get home within a couple of hours and there is a professional squatter in my house, he will end up going to jail, or worse. Fox is all about the outrage.

Well, he did have a gun.

Yes, but what was he going to do if they refused to leave? He already knew the authorities were not going to help him, so what was his plan, move in with them? He can't just shoot them, and if he held them at gunpoint, what then? If police came, he would be the one who got arrested.
It worked out for him, but really only because the squatters went along with his demands.

Forum List

Back